Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Opeler
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was under my hood trying to figure out some charging issues, and I realized that I have a couple of wires that aren't connected to anything. There is a ground wire attached to the block near the alternator, and coming off the alternator is a wire that has what looks like a noise filter attached to it. Do these connect to one another?

I am out of town at the moment, but I can take pictures on Friday if this doesn't sound familiar to anyone.

Thanks for the help.

Andrew

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
No, Andrew they do not connect to each other. The ground at the block goes to the alternator as a ground wire, the alternator is mounted on rubber bushings so it needs a physical ground wire. The other wire, I remember it goes to one of the terminals at the rear of the alternator, but I don't know which one. HTH.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Noise filter . . . capacitor

namba209 said:
No, Andrew they do not connect to each other. The ground at the block goes to the alternator as a ground wire, the alternator is mounted on rubber bushings so it needs a physical ground wire. The other wire, I remember it goes to one of the terminals at the rear of the alternator, but I don't know which one. HTH.
The "noise filter" (capacitor) is grounded through its mounting tab and the other side is connected to either of the large threaded + terminals.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Otto, Thanx for the clarification, I was just going by memory, I haven't seen my 1.9 engine in over 2 years, since I started the V-6/T-5 mod. They whole 1.9 drive train is sitting on a stand in storage for the time being. :eek:

·
Opeler
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. There are two terminals on the back of the alternator. Does the ground wire attach to the one closer to the block, or the one closer to the fender wall? Which does the other wire attach to?

Andrew

·
583 Posts
Andrew,

The ground wire will attach to the small bolt coming off the alternator at about 6 o'clock. There should be two nuts run up together on this bolt and the bolt will extended about 1/2-3/4 inch from the alternator housing. Have you had the alternator off the bracket? Removing the alternator is typically the way that this wire comes loose, unless the wire has broken at the ring terminal that attaches to the alternator. This usually is the result of age or carelessness while working on the starter or alternator.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts