Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. My car is in the body/paint shop phase and should be out in round 3-4 weeks, where then i am going to instal nice stereo system (2 8" sub, 6.5" front component speakers and 300-400 watt amp) my question is do i need to upgrade alternator (as for as i know it is stock, con't go see cause it's in shop) and if i do whats the highest i need to go to to power headlights(hi beam) and stereo and maybe later on porsche driving lights(that go with california front spoiler)? i think i saw high output one on ogts goes to 65 amp. I'm thinking with the stereo and lights on at night i'm gonna need to upgrade, is this correct?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well, it depends on what class amp you have. I assume its a class D so that should be pretty effeiecent. I believe that the stock alt. needs an upgrade, just for practicalitiy (when I put in my cig lighter my headlights dim). 400 watts is hardly anything so even a 85 amp should push everything you need. If you want peace of mind (room for upgrades) looks for something bigger, my goal is head for 120-150 amp alt or something of that nature...( 1 or 2 12-18" RE XXX @2000 watt). I have had a good amount of experiance with car audio, could you list your entire system, that would be the easiest to point out potiental weak spots. Remeber u/g the big 3, get a cap, then look at an alternator. Your system is only as good as its weakest link.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts