Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 521 Posts

·
Administrator
10,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There were aluminum ones made for the S-10 clutches some years ago, but never a run of steel flywheels....
I am in contact with a company who has all the specs and CAD program for an aluminum flywheel set up for the S-10 clutch. Their initial quote for a one off make of a modified version of the standard 1.9 set up was a lot higher than our last buy (Added cost for programming)

If there is enough interest, I will look into the cost for a "group buy".

·
1000 Post Club
4,102 Posts
Could this be used with either the Opel or S-10 Clutch assembly or just the S-10? If it is just the S-10, could they tap the flywheel for the Opel pressure plate so we could use either? Just wondering

What year/engine set up is the S-10 Clutch from?

I had an '87 S-10 4 cyl with the 4 spd and that thing went through clutches every 50K.

It was the 2.5l with the Izusu transmission.

·
Super Moderator
13,361 Posts
Could this be used with either the Opel or S-10 Clutch assembly or just the S-10? If it is just the S-10, could they tap the flywheel for the Opel pressure plate so we could use either?
Nope. Because an aluminum flywheel has a steel friction insert for the clutch disc to ride on.
Opel clutch: 8" OD.
Chevy S-10: 9.125" OD.
They won't coincide, even if you drilled two patterns.

What year/engine set up is the S-10 Clutch from?
2.8 V6, I seem to recall it was '85-'92.

I had an '87 S-10 4 cyl with the 4 spd and that thing went through clutches every 50K. It was the 2.5l with the Izusu transmission.
I believe that used a much smaller clutch than the V6 version.

·
1000 Post Club
4,102 Posts
Thanks for the info Bob.

Once a price is announced, that will determine if I'm interested. It would be used for a regular high compression 1.9 for street use.

·
1000 Post Club
4,102 Posts
Another dumb question, does the aluminum flywheel have the "ball" in it for TDC timing mark?

·
1,973 Posts
Also to add to Bob's reasons, the Opel clutch must also have the pressure plate mounted ~1/2" (IIRC) away from the friction surface via a raised crown on the stock cast flywheel.

Nope. Because an aluminum flywheel has a steel friction insert for the clutch disc to ride on.
Opel clutch: 8" OD.
Chevy S-10: 9.125" OD.
They won't coincide, even if you drilled two patterns.

2.8 V6, I seem to recall it was '85-'92.

I believe that used a much smaller clutch than the V6 version.

·
Army Rotorhead
432 Posts
Count me!

If there is enough interest, I will look into the cost for a "group buy".
Gary,
I'd be interested.

Thanks,
Lance

·
Super Moderator
2,428 Posts
Another dumb question, does the aluminum flywheel have the "ball" in it for TDC timing mark?
Don't know about the ones being planned currently, but the ones we had made up before had a dimple drilled for the timing mark.

·
Administrator
10,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just heard back.

Retail is $465 for 1.

5 pieces - $350 ea.

10 pieces - $315 ea.

I believe they are the company who made the last batch for Unorthodox and they do have a timing mark.

·
Senior Contributor
4,961 Posts
9 lbs? Is that a little light for the street?
I have no issue at all. If I didn't tell you and you drove my car I don't think you would know the difference.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Just heard back.

Retail is $465 for 1.

5 pieces - $350 ea.

10 pieces - $315 ea.

I believe they are the company who made the last batch for Unorthodox and they do have a timing mark.
That is a temptingly good price and I guess that leaves me with a couple of questions for the engine gurus, you know who you are :cool:

Would you recommend a flywheel as light as this for a 2.7 stroker engine and would there really be much point since it's not an engine that will rev all that high ?

I'm trying to get my head around the rotational mass and long stroke vs short stroke engines, high revving engine vs not so high revs ..... and all I get is a head ache, this is something I haven't really read up on in the past since it's never really come up so I'm just getting :confused:

·
Super Moderator
13,361 Posts
Just heard back.

Retail is $465 for 1.

5 pieces - $350 ea.

10 pieces - $315 ea.

Great pricing. I seem to recall paying $409 each when we did a group buy years ago. Helps to take out the middleman from the equation!

·
Opeler
861 Posts
Great Price

That's a great price! The last one I headed up was $350 a piece plus shipping of $100 for all ten to one location.

1 - 20 of 521 Posts