Opel GT Forum banner

481 - 500 of 521 Posts

·
1,973 Posts
Updates:
Aasco has not quoted the steel insert plan as their engineer has some concerns with the remaining cross section.
The standard holes in this are M8-1.25 and the threaded hole for even a thin keyed insert is M12-1.25.
The bolt pattern diameter is 10.5", and the aluminum blank they start with is 11" diameter. With the M8-1.25 the major diameter of the threaded hole leaves .185" cross section to the edge of the flywheel.
If the steel insert is installed this leaves .0276" cross section!

At this point I think we should abandon the plan of having steel inserts installed nominally. If torqued properly with clean bolt threads properly lubricated this should be fine for multiple installations. If you get sloppy it could turn into a problem, and if that occurs I would recommend a helicoil so you don't lose so much cross section.

The other thing that came up was a price error, I originally wrote down $315 for each flywheel at QTY 10, though they corrected me and told me it is $325 each, not sure who made the error, but they are $10 more.

If everyone is OK with this I think we should proceed. Since the threaded insert issue was up in the air until today the new goal is all payments in by Monday 4/20.

Jacobhojrup, I was not planning on shipping any of these internationally, though I am willing to work with you on the details, please send me a private message with your contact info and we will figure out how to do this.

·
Pedal Smasher
2,081 Posts
I’m game with these updates. Just tell me when to contact them to pay.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thank you for the update. I'm good without the inserts and the price hike we'll just have to live with. I will contact them on Monday.

·
Über Genius
8,874 Posts
A stock engine won't break correct bolts. Dowel pins are not necessary.

·
Senior Contributor
4,961 Posts
My flywheel with the Luk clutch has been spun up to 7000 rpm on the dyno and 6000 rpm on the road more times than I can count. The bolts are into the aluminum with no problems but I can't remember what torque I set them to. Blue loctite for sure!

·
Super Moderator
13,361 Posts
Another consideration is that the S-10 pressure plate attaches with 6 bolts, not 4 like an Opel 200 mm clutch.

·
Senior Contributor
4,961 Posts
Here's a question for you all to ponder. What is the lightest weight non-racing S10 clutch to marry to the aluminum flywheel that can handle up to 200 HP?

·
Super Moderator
13,361 Posts
Here's a question for you all to ponder. What is the lightest weight non-racing S10 clutch to marry to the aluminum flywheel that can handle up to 200 HP?
It’s more about torque capacity. A stock S-10 clutch is designed to handle 160 ft lbs of torque in a 3400 lb vehicle with a 1500 lb payload capacity.

Many years ago I designed and had built a custom steel billet flywheel for a 3.0 24-valve Opel six cylinder engine fitted to a 1974 Manta. It was done as a favor to Gil Wesson, for Dave Miller’s Opel Manta. It used a stock S-10 clutch. His car was making around 230 hp, with appreciably more torque than any CIH 4-cylinder. No problem.

·
Pedal Smasher
2,081 Posts
So Jordan, is it time for people to contact Aasco and pay?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Updates:
Aasco has not quoted the steel insert plan as their engineer has some concerns with the remaining cross section.
The standard holes in this are M8-1.25 and the threaded hole for even a thin keyed insert is M12-1.25.
The bolt pattern diameter is 10.5", and the aluminum blank they start with is 11" diameter. With the M8-1.25 the major diameter of the threaded hole leaves .185" cross section to the edge of the flywheel.
If the steel insert is installed this leaves .0276" cross section!

At this point I think we should abandon the plan of having steel inserts installed nominally. If torqued properly with clean bolt threads properly lubricated this should be fine for multiple installations. If you get sloppy it could turn into a problem, and if that occurs I would recommend a helicoil so you don't lose so much cross section.

The other thing that came up was a price error, I originally wrote down $315 for each flywheel at QTY 10, though they corrected me and told me it is $325 each, not sure who made the error, but they are $10 more.

If everyone is OK with this I think we should proceed. Since the threaded insert issue was up in the air until today the new goal is all payments in by Monday 4/20.

Jacobhojrup, I was not planning on shipping any of these internationally, though I am willing to work with you on the details, please send me a private message with your contact info and we will figure out how to do this.
I have wrote you an PM, so if skipping is possible then i really want one too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Pedal Smasher
2,081 Posts
I have wrote you an PM, so if skipping is possible then i really want one too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
call Aasco 714-758-8500.

·
Senior Contributor
1,503 Posts
I called Jordan from Aasco Motorsports, Ordered mine, he waiting on a few more members to give him a call to finish up the 10 pre-orders, then he can start production.

My note on the the Threaded insert, deal...

I would like mine done like the last three group Buys, that Aasco Motorsports has done for us... If it ain't broke ,, leave it alone , yup (y) that's probably 30 flywheels can't be wrong...LOL

Hey I only wished we include the 6 Clutch bolts in the package too. less foe me to source later.
and
Are the thin headed stock Opel Flywheel BOLTS to crankshaft going to work with this new Aluminum Flywheel?? Does anyone remember from last group buy?

·
1,973 Posts
Apologies for putting actual names out here, but I just want it to be transparent who has paid and who still needs to make payment.
If you have not paid, please give Aasco Motorsports a call 714-758-8500

Name: QTY:
Jordan K. 2
Mike L. 1
Joseph B. 1
Chris B. 1
Ken S. 2
Gary W. 1

Pending payment:
Joseph H. 1
Pete A. 1
Ben P. 1
Jacobhojrup 1

·
Pedal Smasher
2,081 Posts
No, that's a good thing so we know where the project stands. He only needs 2 more people to pay 50% to reach the minimum of 10 for the price point.

·
1,973 Posts
Mike,
These flywheels will be identical to what Aasco has made in prior group buys, no changes.
The bolts are easy to source, you should use M8-1.25 class 10.9 or greater, fully threaded with a hardened washer. I don't know the flywheel thickness, but 1" threaded length should be plenty.

The stock flywheel bolts should be no issue, alternatively you can use Ford Pinto ARP flywheel bolts ARP # 151-2801. This was a recommendation from Bob years ago, I have used them and they worked great...something about tightening a 12pt bolt with a 12pt socket...nice stuff.

·
Super Moderator
13,361 Posts
The bolts are easy to source, you should use M8-1.25 class 10.9 or greater, fully threaded with a hardened washer. I don't know the flywheel thickness, but 1" threaded length should be plenty.

The stock flywheel bolts should be no issue, alternatively you can use Ford Pinto ARP flywheel bolts ARP # 151-2801. This was a recommendation from Bob years ago, I have used them and they worked great...something about tightening a 12pt bolt with a 12pt socket...nice stuff.
M10 x 1.00 for the 1.5-2.2 engines.

M10 x 1.25 for the 2.4 engines.
The 2.0 liter Pinto bolts work great on the 1.9 crank, BUT, with a stock flywheel anyway...they need to be shortened a bit, 030”/.75 mm for safety from bottoming out

481 - 500 of 521 Posts