Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
I remember a couple of months I saw a picture in the photo gallery of an Opel (I think yellow) that had either a stainless steel or aluminum battery cover it had 2 slots cut out of it for the hood hinges and had black trim. I am interested in making one similar because it's ugly looking down through that to my belly-pan :( . So I want to cover it up with a removable cover out of stainless. So whoever made that or posted that picture or whoever owns that Opel could send me a reply or the link to the picture because I just cant find it (I've looked through the whole photo gallery 3 times in search of it, with no luck.)

·
Registered
521 Posts
I'll upload a few pictures of it again. It was aluminum sheet metal. It's pretty thin. Flexible. I have it simply setting in there. There is no real need to "bolt" it down because when the hood is closed it'll hold it in place. The beauty is when the hood is up you can just yank it out if you need to get in there.

It's still sorta in beta stage, but I used door trim from a local auto parts store to see how it would look. The trim stuff is a little hard to get the angles right. I'm searching for something more "pro" looking.

~kyle

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Back in the 80's my dad was making maple syrup and selling a lot of it and we have the evaporator that is made out of stainless but it had lead type welds and some other funny stuff that the FDA didn't like so we cut it up. It's 1/32" thick brushed stainless and looks really good but what I was thinking of is some 1/16 in. stainless just to be a little more rigid and dent resistant when it is removed.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I got some med-range heavy gauge stuff from Home Depot. $20 bucks. It was enough to make 2 of the battery covers. One for test (mistakes) and the other for something a little more final looking. The pics are on there way....

~k

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Now here are the questions, does the sheet metal come to a corner on both ends or is it slightly rounded? Where were you able to get the black trim? What did you cut the sheet metal with (jigsaw, plasma, body saw)?

·
Registered
521 Posts
The ends come to a corner. I knocked it down a little bit so it wasn't too sharp. I used an angle grinder to cut everything. Probably a little overkill. But it went fast. I laid out a paper template (5-6 sheets of printer paper taped together) and traced the area I want covered. Then traced that onto the sheet metal. The first version was a little rough. The second (as you see now) is still a little rough where the hood hinges are but it's covered up with the edging. If I do a 3rd, I'll know what to do.

·
domenic in Toronto
6 Posts
battery covers

What is everyone talking about? My car has no battery box or battery cover. Is it supposed to have one? My battery is held in place with two threaded rods and a metal strap across the top of the battery. Anyone got a pic of what it's supposed to look like?

·
Opeler
3,144 Posts
What is everyone talking about? My car has no battery box or battery cover. Is it supposed to have one? My battery is held in place with two threaded rods and a metal strap across the top of the battery. Anyone got a pic of what it's supposed to look like?
http://www.visualopel.com/Opel-GT/Electrical/battery-tray.html
Hard to remember, so many years ago, that my new 1972 Opel GT had the top mounting, battery retainer.
Somebody should have a picture of an original battery tray and factory OEM battery retainer.
GT died a sad death in 2000 of (body) cancer. I was crushed, and the GT body was crushed. Today it is not called cancer or rust, but patina.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Battery Cover

I'll upload a few pictures of it again. It was aluminum sheet metal. It's pretty thin. Flexible. I have it simply setting in there. There is no real need to "bolt" it down because when the hood is closed it'll hold it in place. The beauty is, when the hood is up you just yank it out if you need to get in there.

It's still sorta in beta stage, but I used door trim from a local auto parts store to see how it would look. The trim stuff is a little hard to get the angles right. I'm searching for something more "pro" looking.

~kyle
Hey Kyle, Have you thought about having it stainless steel so it won't rust and then chrome plated? It shouldn't be that expensive, since it's not that big and would look saweeeeet! Juz Sayin' :)

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,517 Posts
Is nobody actually reading the thread? The OP talked about a piece of sheet metal between the hood hinges, to block the view down into the battery area in front of the radiator...
This thread is NOT about the battery tray. :no:

Dieter

·
1,735 Posts
Cover

This is a cover that may be what your looking for .
John

Attachments

·
Registered
788 Posts
This is a cover that may be what your looking for .
John
John,

I know that isn't yours. Who owns that one? Seeing the FI - is it Dan's?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts