Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
GT Resurrectionist
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if Im crazy. I started looking over my car, and it just seems that it is one problem after another. The whole belly pan is rotted out, both floor boards and the whole rocker under the driver door. I fixed the driver floor pan, and starting the passenger soon. I have striped everything out of the inside, took all glass out. just need to drop the motor and trans. I have the Lenk California front spoiler, side skirts, and small rear skirts for it. Also rebuld kit for the 1900, new rubber for glass, OGTS special tinted front markers, and tinted tail lights, and even bought a wrecked 72 parts GT that is 100% original down to the windshild washer hoses.

Now the dilemma is should I go on? The reason I do go on is because it is the first car I have ever owned. The though of scraping it for parts is like killing a member of the family. I mean Im 28 now and had the car since I was 14. What would you all do if it were you?:confused:

·
257 Posts
Take your time, dont get in a hurry, if something is getting your down like an old rusted bolt, just walk away try again later.
I've been there, but dont give up because the end result will be great. I've been working for 2 years now on my car and there are times when I could take a sledge hammer to the damn thing. It is now starting to come together and looks nice. I predict I have another year before I drive it again.

Stanley_P

·
Detritus Maximus
2,380 Posts
With all its problems, I wish I still had my first GT. I think if you are in that much of a quandary, you might already know the answer.
If you are doing the work yourself or learning how, then it is different than spending tons of money into it that you won't get back.
Hey. think of yourself as Dr. Frankenstein bringing life back to something that others would say is dead. Somewhere in there is a 'zen' rationalisation. If you look at it sideways and squint you might see it.

·
GT Resurrectionist
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for the encouraging words. I guess I kind of got down about how I treated it. It ran when I parked it, it had burned up the ignition switch. I spent a year looking for one and gave up. That was in 1990. I love that car, and just want to get it back on the road.

Hey Stanley do you think I should try to make a belly pan or can I get by without one with the front spoiler? I plan on relocating my battery to the back.

·
257 Posts
You dont need one with a front spoiler but I think you may need something to keep the air flow thru the radiator. From what I understand the air that enters the car in the front must pass thru the radiator to keep the engine cooled down and without the belly pan I believe all the air may not flow thru the radiator but under the car and it may run hot, which is a bad thing. I would suggest you find an old car with a good pan or make one of your own. That is what I did on my car, I took two semi-good belly pans and made one good one. (cut, weld, cover) OGTS has fiberglass belly pans that would make the job a little easier.

Thanks,
Stanley

1 - 5 of 5 Posts