Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to add an ammeter in my Ascona B but I don't know how these gauges are connected. I mean, plain thinking would position it somewhere on the thick cable between the battery and the starter solenoid, but I don't think this is feasible, having that thick cable routed from battery to cabin, through the gauge, routed to engine-room again and connected to starter...

·
199 Posts
Don't connect the AmpMeter in series with the starter or you'll blow it every time you start the car. Instead connect it in series with the power lead that feeds the fuse panel.

On a GT there is a lead from the alternator and one from the battery (it actually comes from where the battery connects to the starter not the battery it's self) on the fuse panel. The ampmeter is in between the two leads and connects the two. that way all current except starting current runs through the ampmeter.

I'm not familiar with the Asconda wiring but it should be similar.
hth
Brian

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'd just like to reinforce what bq97 said... series, do NOT wire it in parallel, things explode and sometimes set on fire when you do it in parallel... learned that one the hard way in electronics class

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

These leads exist on Asconas, but there is just no Ampmeter connected. I will try it sometime next week

·
Opel Addict Since 73
358 Posts
Factory Wiring

I would suggest consulting the wiring diagram for the Rallye Manta and the 1975 models which had an ammeter in the rally gauge cluster from the factory. These diagrams are readily available on this site.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts