Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Opeler
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havve a 1970 Opel Gt and the ammeter idiot light won't go off. Does anybody have a solution to this problem. The ammeter does show that it is charging.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I would suggest checking the Blue/White wire at the voltage regulator to make sure it is connected at the plug. The way the lite is wired in to the system is if there is a variance in voltage between the alternator output voltage and battery voltage the light will come on, the more variance, the brighter the lite gets. Also just could be a loose plug on either the regulator or alternator. HTH.

·
Opeler
193 Posts
My light would come on once the engine warmed up and stay on. Cleaning out the oil relief valves on the oil pump solved the problem. There are two different valves. They have little springs in them with plastic buttons. I believe they are supposed to open when the engine is cold and the oil is thick, then close once it warms/thins out. However, it seems like little bits of sludge or gunk can get in and they stick open. When that happens, the idiot light will go on because the valve is letting the pressure drop. You can reach both valves easily from under the car without any problem. All you need is a socket. Just be careful when you take them out. The springs can go shooting off into space if you don't remove the bolt carefully.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Dan, you just brought up an interesting thought. The oil pressure and ammeter are in the same housing, both have idiot lites, could be the leads may have been switched and the lite coming on was for oil pressure instead of electrical. The only way to be sure is to pull the instrument panel and make sure the Blue/White wire is going to the ammeter and the Blue/Green wire is going to the oil pressure side of the gage. Oh Boy! :confused:

·
Opeler
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ammeter light won't go off

I got the problem fixed. I took the car in to get the alternator tested. It was putting out 16.25 volts, which explains why the idiot light was on and stayed on. He suggested that I get a new voltage regulator because that is what limits the abnormal output. Got the basic model from OGTS. The light still didn't go out but it was dimmer. I took it back to my alternator guy and he said it was probaby the secondary rectifier in the alternator. That goes directly to the ammeter light. Guess what? Shazam sargent!! Works like a dream.---- Also, the little black box on the backof the alternator is a noise supressor capacitor to silence the alternator whine in the radio. The wire coming out should be attatched to the B+ terminal on the alternator. A new one is $15.00 from Radio Shack.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts