Opel GT Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
Coming to the 66 Mother Fest as often as you did I would be shocked if you did not have a working multimeter. How good it is could be another issue.
Lol! Yes John, I have a pretty good multimeter. Also one yellow HF one from the aforementioned route 66 get together. Now I wonder who got those for us?....;)

It's not that the 1-wire doesn't have a regulator, it does, but it doesn't kick in until the alternator spins up high enough to turn it on. It also only sees the demand from the "most optimistic" standpoint, i.e. if the alternator measures voltage it is putting out and pretty much ignores the rest of the electrical system, like the battery.

Here's a pretty good article that describes the differences.

Ah, OK, tnx. I did not think that old tractors would have the equivalent of a newer 1-wire. How old are we talking?

Just ramblin'..... 1-wires have been know to occasionally lose their residual magnetism in the core of the field winding after sitting unused for a while, which is needed to self-excite and start up. Not a rampant problems at all, seems like it just effects a few. So I still prefer the standard GM internal regulator types, with the separate power output and the 2 lead regulator connection.

Ah, OK, tnx. I did not think that old tractors would have the equivalent of a newer 1-wire. How old are we talking?
They go back a long way, I think mostly people used one-wire alternators to replace original generators or when converting 6 volt systems to 12 volts.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.