Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
boomerang opeler
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after the last few weeks of rain anyone fancy doing a gt amphibian conversion ?

or is it just me missing the sun ?

:D:D:D

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
I think it may have something to do with where you live :yup:. I've only been to England once but it basically rained the whole time I was there (I still loved it and plan to go back). I must have bought three umbrellas while I was there because I kept leaving them in the hotel room. You need to come to sunny Atlanta for a visit! With the way Opels rust, I don't think anything amphibious is a good idea...

Matt

·
boomerang opeler
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we just had the wettest june on record for england :yup:

some places have had 14" in a week

Sheffield in Yorkshire is thinking of converting there football ground into a fishing pond its so deep under water :lmao:

they have been finding fish 3 miles from the river there

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Not to go "one upmanship" on you Baz, but the folks in Texas and Oklahoma have had 14" in one day. We could sure use some of that moisture here. We've only had 7-8" all year and the rainy season here is over and wild fire season is already in full bloom. Somebody must have really pi$$ed off Mother Nature.

·
boomerang opeler
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ron the uk average for june is 1.3" sheffield had 3 days with 4"'s ( is " 's ok otto :D )

i think its those dam yanks and there gas guzzlers that have p1553d off maw nature :lmao:

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Yeah Baz, that's probably what caused it. Of course it wasn't me, I used your suggestion of putting 2 oz. of acetone per 10 gallons of gas, and my mileage went up 40% on the motorhome. Which is great, but I'm still in the single digits for MPG on it.

·
Super Moderator
13,249 Posts
i think its those dam yanks and there gas guzzlers that have p1553d off maw nature :lmao:
Hey, the biggest car I've ever owned was my WRX wagon! I almost hated driving it at 23-24 mpg with only 93 octane fuel. I cringed when I put $26 into my Sentra last month, then I see the lady next to me at the gas station putting $85 into her Ford Excursion and think, '$26 ain't so bad!'. But the Sentra has 250k on it and only gets 30-31 mpg these days, not 35-36 mpg anymore.

Still, I'm going for my motorcycle education classes next week, gonna get my license, then buy me a dual-purpose bike that gets 50-60 mpg and has a 6.1 gallon tank!

For once, New England has not had the crappy weather everyone else is having. No heat waves, no tornados, no heavy rains, no forest fires....yet.

·
boomerang opeler
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
grab a flight over here bob you will feel right at home

warmer in winter but can be real wet , only around 5 tornado's ( dont know if its me but that is the right spelling and looks wrong guess its the font ) in the whole country last year and last hurricane was in 87 :D

but we do call bike riders organ donors here

·
Banned
3,841 Posts
Here in Colorado we just had the first touch down of a major tornado up in the mountains, so somebody has peaved her. I'll plead innocent since I use a gallon every other week. Bob is right on track with his bike plans. On the other side of the pond I'd have to learn how to ride one on the sidewalks just to fit in. I just checked and ya organ donar is checked. On the other hand I did a complete tune up with all synthetic oils and fill up with 91 octane for 21 bucks. My biggest problem now is the speed limits after the tune up. 100 miles and the gas guage hasn't moved either. Bob is going in the right direction with the price of gas now. Flog the gas guzzelers on the weekend and commute with the economy ones.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Still, I'm going for my motorcycle education classes next week, gonna get my license, then buy me a dual-purpose bike that gets 50-60 mpg and has a 6.1 gallon tank!
Just a friendly reminder, Bob. Helmet, gloves, boots and leather. Also, nothing smaller than 250 cc 4-stroke single. They have more torque than a 2-stroke and are easier on gas. My cousiin and I used to race each other on the track, he'd usually win. His Kawasaki 100 cc was faster than my Honda 90 cc. But out boon doggling and play racing his Husqvarna 250 cc 6-speed 2-stroke and my Honda 250 cc 5-speed 4-stroke would be dead even, whoever got out in front first, stayed there, but going up hills, he'd have to down-shift 2 or more gears, I'd just turn up the throttle. :yup:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just a friendly reminder, Bob. Helmet, gloves, boots and leather. Also, nothing smaller than 250 cc 4-stroke single. They have more torque than a 2-stroke and are easier on gas. My cousiin and I used to race each other on the track, he'd usually win. His Kawasaki 100 cc was faster than my Honda 90 cc. But out boon doggling and play racing his Husqvarna 250 cc 6-speed 2-stroke and my Honda 250 cc 5-speed 4-stroke would be dead even, whoever got out in front first, stayed there, but going up hills, he'd have to down-shift 2 or more gears, I'd just turn up the throttle. :yup:
I agree with the four stroke notion. I bought myself a 225 XT yamaha for my B day 2 years ago. 6 speed, electric start and now that it's getting broke in MPG is around 65 in town and it still cruses my 248 LB butt down the road at 60. next to my manta it's the best investment I've made in a while.

·
Super Moderator
13,249 Posts
Helmet and gloves goes without saying, I'll use the ones from my ATV (full face helmet). I'll have to buy a jacket however. Bike will be a Kawasaki KLR 650 (4-stroke V-twin), kinda big but my ATV is a 650 too...can't have the bike with a smaller engine! Plus, at $79 per month payments, it's already cheaper to own and operate than simply gassing up my car (just paid my gas card bill for last month, it was $261!).

Bob

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Now that we've totally hi-jacked Baz' thread, I'll say that's a good choice. A little too big a bike for me, but your a tad larger than I am. I can empathize with the economics involved, to fill my 16 gallon tank on the monza last time out was way over $50. Maybe it's time to quit tinkering with Willit? and start restoring my Honda XL 250 or one of my Honda 90's, a CL and an SL. Decisions, decisions. :banghead:

·
boomerang opeler
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
my thread ? did i start something about bikes? :D

we did get 7 posts on topic , not bad for us gas bags on here :lmao:

almost dry here for a change , just a little drizzle for half an hour , not even worth a coat on for

·
gone Opel GT crazy!
640 Posts
my thread ? did i start something about bikes? :D

we did get 7 posts on topic , not bad for us gas bags on here :lmao:

almost dry here for a change , just a little drizzle for half an hour , not even worth a coat on for
hey Baz if you don't like the rain you can send some our way in Alabama,it's been almost like a drought here! :eek:

·
Registered
97 Posts
amphib GT ?

MY GT last fall, just before I moved it to higher ground! Behind the GT is a normally small creek, but I forgot itsalso a tidal flat.:banghead: Extreme high water was caused by lots of rain, a storm surge and high tide. I went out and bought a tide table the same day! If I hadnt got her when I did she would hav needed water wings to get out.

Attachments

·
gone Opel GT crazy!
640 Posts
wow that's a flood,looks exactly like our front yard when it rains too much
thankfully my GT stays in the back yard! glad the water didn't get any deeper!

·
Registered
97 Posts
You got that right! But the water at the bottom of the pict was about 10 to 12" deep! Had to go through it to get to high ground in my neighbors driveway. Went as fast as I dared, and the interior stayed dry, thanks to new floor plugs and door gaskets. (Thank you OGTS!)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts