Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Here we go I've stepped way out of my comfort zone and will be running out of it soon:lmao:
My son and I pulled the rear end out yesterday evening
And boy am I glad we did I had no Idea just how much wrong was going on
All the rubbers were worse for wear for sure from the rear axle to the torque tube support
I'm surprised the u joint hadn't fell apart already all the nuts weren't but barely finger tight and the u bolts I could shake around by hand
Who ever worked on it before never bent the tabs over to lock in the nuts:ugh:
I figure we will work the rear end build and when ready to go in we will start on the transmission pull ( so we don't have to much apart at once and it becomes an over whelming scenario):yup:
I have to say we were both shocked at how small the drive shaft/propeller actually is.
I hope us pulling the drive shaft out of the trans isn't a problem when it's time to put it back in
I assume the thrust spring will stay in position when we push the shaft back in?
any hoo I'm excited to be tackling this stuff all though a bit timid I feel pretty good.

Attachments

·
RunOpel
801 Posts
Terry all Opel owners eventually have to check their rear ends :lmao: I will say this, you are certainly fearless
and are not timid about jumping in and going for it :yup:

Smart move in restoring your rear end, it does appear to need some TLC. The way you restored your front suspension,
this will be no problem. I look forward to watching your progress and seeing the final product.

Good luck

:veryhappy

·
Über Genius
8,748 Posts
The title....

... A night of a Taco Bell binge.

I will add a word of caution.
When you remove the center shaft from the torque tube, make sure to have it aligned properly. They have a way of vibrating if installed in a different clock position.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Hello all,
Here we go I've stepped way out of my comfort zone and will be running out of it soon:lmao:
All the rubbers were worse for wear for sure from the rear axle to the torque tube support
I'm surprised the u joint hadn't fell apart already all the nuts weren't but barely finger tight and the u bolts I could shake around by hand
I figure we will work the rear end build and when ready to go in we will start on the transmission pull ( so we don't have to much apart at once and it becomes an over whelming scenario):yup:
I have to say we were both shocked at how small the drive shaft/propeller actually is.
I hope us pulling the drive shaft out of the trans isn't a problem when it's time to put it back in
I assume the thrust spring will stay in position when we push the shaft back in?
any hoo I'm excited to be tackling this stuff all though a bit timid I feel pretty good.
I'm not getting why your so timid to do any kind of work or upgrades on your Gt. Case and point, you just removed your entire rear end assembly, and all it took was removing a few bolts and nuts.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The title....

... A night of a Taco Bell binge.

I will add a word of caution.
When you remove the center shaft from the torque tube, make sure to have it aligned properly. They have a way of vibrating if installed in a different clock position.
Thank you I will certainly adhere to that .
I also marked the propeller and drive shaft (one side) to ensure they go back together the same as we pulled them apart.
we got all the bushings out was much easier than I thought it would be
Was kinda surprised to still see the opel lettering stamped in the rubber Makes me wonder if there the original 46 yr old bushing's

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not getting why your so timid to do any kind of work or upgrades on Gt. Case and point, you just removed your entire rear end assembly, and all it took was removing a few bolts and nuts.
Well 1 I'm by no means a mechanic and tend to over do or over think things sometimes
And then there's the, it has to be as perfect as I can possibly get it thing of mine
I don't mind a little take pride in what you hide but I'm not a throw that schnittt in there and call it a day kinda guy
If I think I may have screwed something up it will be on my mind until it's fixed right or confirmed it wasn't a problem to begin with
Minor repairs I take no issue with but this stuff is a new venture for my son and I and I worry I'll forget something or totally screw something up

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Moderators may have a problem with the title.:haha:
HAHAHAHAHA
I was wondering if & when someone would take issue with it
It didn't hit me either how it's face value sounds until I read it
Either way it's still pretty funny and we all know what I'm talking about:yup::lmao:

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,019 Posts
Glad you caught those loose u-bolt nuts, and the broken torque tube biscuits.

I assume you will remove the rear cover an inspect? Don't take anything apart in side unless you intend to learn how to do that and do it properly; diff assembly and installation is a special area that takes tools and knowledge; done wrong and you just wasted you rear gears in short order.

IIRC, you have a new pinion seal? Don't start into that unless and until you know what to do, and how to do it, 100%. If they are not leaking, I don't mess with that area.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad you caught those loose u-bolt nuts, and the broken torque tube biscuits.

I assume you will remove the rear cover an inspect? Don't take anything apart in side unless you intend to learn how to do that and do it properly; diff assembly and installation is a special area that takes tools and knowledge; done wrong and you just wasted you rear gears in short order.

IIRC, you have a new pinion seal? Don't start into that unless and until you know what to do, and how to do it, 100%. If they are not leaking, I don't mess with that area.
Thank you Mr. Manta
I do have a new seal and yes the old one in it leaks didn't know it leaked until the rear end was coming out and oil was puddling pretty good once tilted forward a bit
I am going to order a new gasket so I can pull the back, so I may look
I feel the gears are in good shape as I replaced the lube about a month ago just to see the condition of the existing fluid and it was actually better than I was anticipating not clumpy or chunks of stuff coming out but was quite dark
we're still pulling stuff apart and cleaning right now but will need advise on that seal for sure
As far as messing with the gears NO SIR WAY OUTA MY LEAGUE

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haven't got there yet Mr. Manta
We were pulling and rough cleaning as we went along
No messing with the pinion nut pulled torque tube and that's all
Over all I think things look pretty darn good and relatively (I think) pretty clean nothing looks badly worn or chipped and everything seemed quite snug when detaching
I had to hit the diff with degreaser and had my son pressure wash all the left over cake of grease off with the pinion side down so no water got in and taped off the vent tube as a precaution
Pics are below tell me what you think.
I think I've gotten pretty lucky thus far

Attachments

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Hello all,
Terry, I had to look at the title a couple times to make sure I was reading it right. I guess you will be on the moderator's list for a while.

Bob

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Terry, I had to look at the title a couple times to make sure I was reading it right. I guess you will be on the moderator's list for a while.

Bob
I hope not the naughty list It was not intentionally put out the way it sounds or the direction it sounds
Pretty sure I've read much worse around here
Of course after the fact it is rather comical the play on words :lmao:

·
RunOpel
801 Posts
Terry I'm like you, not a mechanic by trade, just a want to be :yup: I to like not to screw anything
up and a lot of this restoration is new territory. I probably over analyze more than the average Opel
owner :yup:

From what I have seen thus far, you and your son are doing a great job, especially with asking
lots of questions. Shoot, I'm learning from what you ask and get answers from this awesome
group of experienced Opel owners :banana:

1 - 20 of 102 Posts