81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Thank you Mr. Manta,
I was looking at standard torque for size of bolt as well
Dumb question time/how does that translate to an allen style bolt
Would it be a good idea to use the blue lock tight on the torque tube carrier to body mount as well?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Hello all we're finally getting to put some stuff back together this past weekend
The torque tube assembly was pretty fun to get back together without scratching it up
I had to get creative to get the upper and lower stops in and instead of using a screw driver to put the assembly together I probably should have used a pickle fork oh well it's together at any rate
I did have to file the lower stop down a hair as it was cut crooked leaving one edge to long to push in
And interesting to me as the larger trail arm bushings on one I couldn't get to bottom out as if they were just a smidgen to long so when I push one side in it pops the other out a bit so I may need to pull one out and shave a hair but all the bushings went in pretty smoothly
Finished the final torque on the rear diff pan at 7 last night
So now I'm ready to tackle the pinion seal? any advice on removing and replacing?
I have tried finding this info in the forum but to no success, not sure if it's just bedded into another thread or I'm searching improperly
Looking really good!!!! Love the colour!
Keep up the great work my friend

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Torque tube to differential torque value is 18 Lb.ft.
You should use 12.9 grade bolts. They are available from McMasterCarr https://www.mcmaster.com/90128a275
Thank you Mr. P.J.
I'm reusing the existing/original allen bolt
I just cleaned up all the threads so there not binding they run in and out smoothly now

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,089 Posts
Thank you Mr. Manta,
I was looking at standard torque for size of bolt as well
Dumb question time/how does that translate to an allen style bolt
Would it be a good idea to use the blue lock tight on the torque tube carrier to body mount as well?
Same torque applies for different heads. You can use the loctite on those body bolts if you like, but they tend to be larger and I just crank on them based on the size. On several thousands of miles of rallying, slamming over rocks and such, we never had a rear axle area bolt of any type come loose that was torqued normally.

Now having the torque tube biscuits break in a rally is another matter! Left us stopped dead in some sand ruts around midnight in the UP of Michigan with the driveshaft disconnected from the pinion, but we jacked up the car on-stage, got it re-positioned and the driveshaft connected in the dark, and limped on. Fun stuff....

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Perfect Mr. Manta, Thank you
Funny story doesn't surprise me you fixed it in the middle of no where in the dark to keep racing
I guess you have always just been awesome
Thank you for your support
We're going to get cranking and get this puppy back together
Will report back later with progress report

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
success

Well I'll be darned,
We did it
My son & I finished getting everything back together yesterday
We thought it was supposed to rain most of the day so we planned to test drive today
But the great Opel gods had a surprise in store for us NO RAIN :haha:
So we went on our test run and thank goodness no bump no thump even got to cut loose and spin the tires on the dirt road :haha:
Down side now we have to clean off the dirt dust:lmao:
Can't wait to do some sound dampening once up to about 50 mph road noise really fills the empty cabin
Even took the Wife for her first ride she seem to enjoy it until I got on it a little once her hands hit her lap it was time to slow down :yup:
Her first words when she got in was holy crap I didn't realize just how tiny this car is til you get in
A big THANK YOU to all who have stuck with us and all your advice support and encouragement
We didn't even want to put it back in the garage after words we just sat there looking at it grinning ear to ear and my son spent some time hanging out in the captains chair :lmao:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
I was thinking last night about the vent tube in the rear axle
I had my son pull the old one out as I was distracted on something
When I asked him which way it came out he didn't think to notice (oops) I may not have either
So when I put the new one in I put the slant cut side facing forward towards the front of the car
It seemed appropriate to me as the axle/fluid would be turning that way and act as like a guard or block if you will from gear oil trying to escape
Is my thinking correct as to the orientation of this vent tube?

·
Registered
597 Posts
This is what happens when you get too deep into your transmission !
No Opels were harmed here, not so sure about the mechanic.

This sign was on a transmission shop in Bethlehem NH, taken Sept 2009
..The shop is still in business but this sign was missing last time I looked...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,176 Posts
This is what happens when you get too deep into your transmission !
No Opels were harmed here, not so sure about the mechanic.

This sign was on a transmission shop in Bethlehem NH, taken Sept 2009
..The shop is still in business but this sign was missing last time I looked...
The sign was still there on June 30th, 2014 when I took this pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
rear axle vent tube question

Hello all,
Silly question Time
We ( son and I) replaced the vent tube in the rear axle with a new one while we fixed everything
My son pulled the old one out as I was messing with something else
He didn't pay attention to the orientation of the old one ( not that it was critical as it probably wasn't right anyway)
1) does the slotted/tapered side that presses inside the diff face forward?
2) is the green cap supposed to stay on? Got a feeling I'll be diving into the trash can as we threw the loose cap away
Then it hit me well if the cap/lid is that loose and there's a slit on both sides then the cap remains on so it can breathe but not allow dirt in(right)
Unfortunately again no mention in the manual and I have found nothing in the forum
Thank you in advance for the help

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,089 Posts
Never thought of that, but I suppose the slit ought to face backwards to have less chance of water being driven in. And yes... there should be some sort of loose cap on there to keep dirt/water out.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Thank you Mr. Manta,
The slit side or angled side is the lower portion that gets pressed into the hole in the axle there shouldn't be any water in the axle or I'm in big trouble:lmao:
It just seemed to me that if the fluid is usually moving forward (towards front of car) when driving then if I put the angle side to the rear it would act as a cup or catch and allow the fluid to flow out of the axle through the vent tube
As for the cap Funny story time I dug all through the trash can and found nothing and just before I really started to sort through I thought I'd check the wifes laundry can for drier lent sheets ect and there it was woo hoo It's installed on the tube now
One of those little detail things that got missed that I kept thinking about ( couldn't stop thinking about):yup:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Well, now you are the site expert on axle vents! LOL
hahahaha
Sounds good but we both know that question will probably never resurface again:lmao:
Only I could ask such questions that others would not dare :yup:
But hey I need to know these silly little things or it will drive me bonkers

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Hello again all
I was thinking of posting alot of the oics from the build and wasn't sure if I post them here or is there somewhere else I should do this?
Thank you in advance for the advise

81 - 100 of 102 Posts