·
Registered
357 Posts
Looking good.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Moving to final assy for differential and rear end housing. Looking for poly sway bar bushings and end links. What have y'all come up with previously? Pretty standard stuff. Summit Racing probably has some combination that will work. I just haven't researched it yet.
20210104_152814.jpg

·
Super Moderator
13,729 Posts
Moving to final assy for differential and rear end housing. Looking for poly sway bar bushings and end links. What have y'all come up with previously? Pretty standard stuff. Summit Racing probably has some combination that will work. I just haven't researched it yet.
View attachment 432110
End link bushings are the same as GT rear...so you can get them from OGTS.

The bushings attached to the axle housing are somewhat unique, so I’ve always modified bushings or bracketry to fit.

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
482 Posts
Most of the rear suspension mocked up. Anxious to get it back down on the ground. Check for final ride height and send springs and sway bar out for powder coating.
View attachment 432149
On average what would it cost to power coat something like that. I am thinking of power coating my air cleaner can, top, and snorkel and the new weber carb cover from OGTS. Based on your experience would you have a ball park figure. I plan to have it completely sanded to metal upon delivery to the provider.

·
Opeler
1,202 Posts
On average what would it cost to power coat something like that. I am thinking of power coating my air cleaner can, top, and snorkel and the new weber carb cover from OGTS. Based on your experience would you have a ball park figure. I plan to have it completely sanded to metal upon delivery to the provider.
*POWDER coat.

Call a few places around you, some areas can have prices that vary wildly between shops (I’m too busy price, we are just getting started price, etc) and obviously quality can come in to play too. Some places have price sheets for certain types of items that may give you a ballpark price too.

·
Über Genius
9,312 Posts
You can do it yourself, buying everything, for the price someone would charge (assuming you have an air compressor)

·
Über Genius
9,312 Posts
And a spare oven you don’t want to use to make food again
Ovens are free all the time. You just need to look in the free section on Craigslist or on freecycle.

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,280 Posts
Ovens are free all the time. You just need to look in the free section on Craigslist or on freecycle.
Yeah, sure. "Oven that is wide enough to get an Opel axle body in it. Free to good hands. I can deliver to you as well."

:oops:

Dieter

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
482 Posts
So I have changed my mind about the high gloss power coat. I painted it with a high gloss black paint, to see how it would look, but because of all of the rust pits it really looked bad as each flaw was magnified by that nice shiney paint. I think I will spend the time necessary to sand it as smooth as possible, not removing all of the existing original paint, but that still will not remove all the pits, and then have it professionally painted with satin black. That should make for a nice presentation, going to have the weber cap painted at the same time. I am hoping that the flaws will not show up with the satin paint.

·
Super Moderator
13,729 Posts
So I have changed my mind about the high gloss power coat. I painted it with a high gloss black paint, to see how it would look, but because of all of the rust pits it really looked bad as each flaw was magnified by that nice shiney paint. I think I will spend the time necessary to sand it as smooth as possible, not removing all of the existing original paint, but that still will not remove all the pits, and then have it professionally painted with satin black. That should make for a nice presentation, going to have the weber cap painted at the same time. I am hoping that the flaws will not show up with the satin paint.
I prefer satin black to gloss. Gloss looks good but it shows every finger print and imperfection in the surface, like you said.

Reactions: Will I. Finish

·
Über Genius
9,312 Posts
Yeah, sure. "Oven that is wide enough to get an Opel axle body in it. Free to good hands. I can deliver to you as well."

:oops:

Dieter
I saw he wanted to powder coat his snorkel and air cleaner. I missed where he wanted to powder coat his axle.

I managed to powder coat 3 engine blocks, 4 heads, a couple oil pans, valve covers, timing covers, water pumps and a lot of other odds and ends with a free 30" oven I got off a neighbors porch. Yes, I had permission.

Reactions: Will I. Finish

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have (almost) always done flat black for any under hood, underbody or suspension if even painted at all. Hides all the grease and grime if you ever even look under there anyways.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I was at mercougary’s this past weekend and was able to check out his manta for the first time. Very nice car and is only getting nicer. Engine, rear axle etc. looks even better in person. Looking forward to seeing it on the road. Thanks again for those rear springs.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Crunched all the numbers for setting my pinion depth today. The original shim in question mic'd within .0025" of what is required. Tempted to reassemble it the way I found it from Isuzu. They shimmed between the bearing and the flange on the back of the pinion gear instead of removing the race. Guess there's more than one way to do it. Six one way and half-dozen the other.
20210211_142648.jpg

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
My rear sway bar from Addco was manufactured more than 2" too narrow. Had to offset the mounts inboard on the rear end housing to get it to bolt up.
20210204_183030.jpg 20210211_144508.jpg 20210211_144431.jpg

141 - 160 of 164 Posts