Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
The seller states that there is no title, that cars this age are sold from the registration. The car is wearing a New York Historic Vehicle license plate. Correct me if I am wrong, but I just did an inquiry to New York's DMV and learned that a car cannot be registered in that state without a valid title. I am not convinced that a buyer will be able to successfully register this car anywhere without a title. An exception is my state of Maine where any car older than 25 years is sold with notarized Bill of Sale. However, when I moved here from New Jersey, I was required to present the New Jersey titles for my three historic vehicles in order to register them in my new home state.

·
Registered
The Young One
668 Posts
The seller states that there is no title, that cars this age are sold from the registration. The car is wearing a New York Historic Vehicle license plate. Correct me if I am wrong, but I just did an inquiry to New York's DMV and learned that a car cannot be registered in that state without a valid title. I am not convinced that a buyer will be able to successfully register this car anywhere without a title. An exception is my state of Maine where any car older than 25 years is sold with notarized Bill of Sale. However, when I moved here from New Jersey, I was required to present the New Jersey titles for my three historic vehicles in order to register them in my new home state.
For Indiana you have to have a title. My grandpa’s 1966 mg midget came without a title and he had to go to court and get one for like $200. I will have to do the same maybe this summer with my 1969 GT since it has no title.

Man I am kind of surprised that all the Gts that have been for sale lately have had Weber’s and stock exhaust systems. I guess a lot of people only do the Weber mod and no exhaust work. That is a nice GT though. I wonder if the guy that bought the whit one and the yellow one will buy this one?

·
Opel Key Master
5,349 Posts
Man I am kind of surprised that all the Gts that have been for sale lately have had Weber’s and stock exhaust systems. I guess a lot of people only do the Weber mod and no exhaust work.
why do you think it is necessary to have exhaust work done with a Weber 32/36? It’s not too far off from a stock carburetor.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Good pics. Control arm bushings look older, soon ready to be replaced. The loose tire cover & missing console tray kinda bug, nothing earth shattering. Overall, pretty solid. Most of the exterior looks nice, nice light lenses etc.

Fun to look at wondering what the seller ends up getting. No doubt the value is finally started to go up on the GT.

·
Registered
The Young One
668 Posts
why do you think it is necessary to have exhaust work done with a Weber 32/36? It’s not too far off from a stock carburetor.
I am just surprised that not many people have custom exhausts. I don’t think it is necessary but exhaust gives your car maybe a little more personality.

·
1,749 Posts
That must be an early 1970 model because of the console delete and early ashtray also dash warning lights are early style.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Nice catch on the warning lights. Definitely a clone of sorts and not "correct", as is my GT. Mine is a 1971 body with 1969 engine and gearbox, and at least some of the electrics (specifically the heater blower and switch) are out of a 1969 car, although my dash as the later version of warning lights.

I will be interested in how the price settles out. I also have a 1964 Triumph Spitfire. If Spitfires were birds, the skies would be blackened with them -- they cover the landscape in abundance, built from 1962-80. Simple in design and construction, they are not all that powerful. Yet members of the Triumph forum that I participate in were astonished this week when one with some obvious flaws went for $22K on BAT. Apparently shiny paint is important.

·
Registered
The Young One
668 Posts
Nice catch on the warning lights. Definitely a clone of sorts and not "correct", as is my GT. Mine is a 1971 body with 1969 engine and gearbox, and at least some of the electrics (specifically the heater blower and switch) are out of a 1969 car, although my dash as the later version of warning lights.

I will be interested in how the price settles out. I also have a 1964 Triumph Spitfire. If Spitfires were birds, the skies would be blackened with them -- they cover the landscape in abundance, built from 1962-80. Simple in design and construction, they are not all that powerful. Yet members of the Triumph forum that I participate in were astonished this week when one with some obvious flaws went for $22K on BAT. Apparently shiny paint is important.
My grandpa has a 1970 spitfire that he just restored and all he has to do is put the top on. He painted his with red rust oleum paint and it looks pretty good. I didn’t know spitfires were worth so much. My grandpa’s car has only 26,000 original miles. But he likes his 1966 mg midget better since it has a fiberglass bug eye sprite hood and it only weighs 1400 pounds and it handles a lot better than the spitfire.

·
Registered
893 Posts
The Spitfire in question, again flawed, went for several thousand dollars above what Hagerty Insurance, that specializes in covering vintage automobiles and is considered the arbiter of value with its on-line valuation tool, suggests that a concours-level Spitfire is worth. This only demonstrates that a car is worth what someone is willing to pay, but rest assured that we of the Spitfire Clan would just love for someone else to come along with that much desire for our cars.

Currently, there is listed on the Knoxville, TN Craigslist a pair of Lotus Europa's. One appears to be in quite nice condition and is listed at about half what the Spitfire went for on BAT. Given the choice, I would have the Lotus every day of the week! At the same time, the same CL page is showing another Europa, a rarer Special that needs extensive work, listed at $19,900.

Something else to consider, especially when selling a rare or vintage automobile: use the auction sites. If you use CL and post a price, the best you will get is that price or lower, unless you are (a) in a hot market such as we saw in the northeast last fall; or (b) if you are very lucky and find two potential buyers that just have to have your car. Scenario (b) is nearly assured on the auction sites, because there are so many people that troll them. Very often, auction mentality takes over and you get a situation where one or more people not only want the car but cannot stand the thought of losing. The result is a final price that is well above reason.

·
Registered
The Young One
668 Posts
The Spitfire in question, again flawed, went for several thousand dollars above what Hagerty Insurance, that specializes in covering vintage automobiles and is considered the arbiter of value with its on-line valuation tool, suggests that a concours-level Spitfire is worth. This only demonstrates that a car is worth what someone is willing to pay, but rest assured that we of the Spitfire Clan would just love for someone else to come along with that much desire for our cars.

Currently, there is listed on the Knoxville, TN Craigslist a pair of Lotus Europa's. One appears to be in quite nice condition and is listed at about half what the Spitfire went for on BAT. Given the choice, I would have the Lotus every day of the week! At the same time, the same CL page is showing another Europa, a rarer Special that needs extensive work, listed at $19,900.

Something else to consider, especially when selling a rare or vintage automobile: use the auction sites. If you use CL and post a price, the best you will get is that price or lower, unless you are (a) in a hot market such as we saw in the northeast last fall; or (b) if you are very lucky and find two potential buyers that just have to have your car. Scenario (b) is nearly assured on the auction sites, because there are so many people that troll them. Very often, auction mentality takes over and you get a situation where one or more people not only want the car but cannot stand the thought of losing. The result is a final price that is well above reason.
I would love to have a Europa too they are just so cool! The auction is definitely the way to go. For instance 3rd gen honda preludes(1988-1991) are selling for crazy money on bat and yet you see them on marketplace and they aren’t selling or they are selling for a lot less.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Interesting pengo73 placed this same bid on the one that just sold for 22,000
from the previous yellow one $12,345 bid placed by pengo73
And never bid on it again
Now this one $12,345 bid placed by pengo73

·
Registered
The Young One
668 Posts
Wow pengo 73 now has a lot of Gts we need him to join this site. I thought that car would go for a little higher but I guess it wasn’t a correct car like with the dash and stuff.

·
Opeler
1,332 Posts
Wow pengo 73 now has a lot of Gts we need him to join this site. I thought that car would go for a little higher but I guess it wasn’t a correct car like with the dash and stuff.

Interesting pengo73 placed this same bid on the one that just sold for 22,000
from the previous yellow one $12,345 bid placed by pengo73
And never bid on it again
Now this one $12,345 bid placed by pengo73
This is the first one that that person won. From the quoted post, they apparently only place a single bid in the previous auctions.

·
1,221 Posts
Cars that old are not issued a title in NY. Only a registration

1 - 20 of 20 Posts