Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and a buddy just recently purchased two GTs from Cheyenne for a nice $500. One is a '73, runs and drives (although we haven't put a battery in it yet) and as it appears complete even with real shady floor patches welded in. The other was a '70 "parts car", giant rust holes, no engine, what appears to be horrible body work on the fenders, and missing a lot of parts.

Our plan is to do a little work to the nice '73 and sell towards building our racecar. I've read through all of the previous LeMons threads here and well, our story is about the same. The parts car is full of parts and we're gonna start by taking everything off we'll never use, which is pretty much everything left on the car besides the windshield. I've owned 3 T-Bird Turbocoupes and have a lot of left over parts. To make it easy (ha ha ha) we're planning on using the front cross-member and all suspension, brakes, steering off the Ford platform including rear end as well (8.8 with disc), and of course the 2.3L Turbo.

As we start assessing the situation I'll post with parts we're trying to sell off. I really hate wasting anything if someone else can use it.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Sounds ambitious, especially with the motor swap.

Keep us updated, with pics.

Have you raced in LeMons before? What will your car's theme be? Not that an Opel needs one. It is rare enough, and interesting, even pitied since it seems that few manage to finish the race. The basic advice for new teams is to just get the car to a few races and get it sorted it out, then once the car is reliable start discretely adding performance/power.

For our effort, we just scrubbed our car, replaced the wiring and rotten rubber, added a cage and safety essentials, rebuilt the brakes, and raced that, twice, finishing both times. Now we are just tweaking it for reliability, mostly heat issues.

There is another Lemons GT build happening in Texas now.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Que the guy from Texas...

Cheers on building an opel Lemons car. We did the same as Team Tiny Vette. Removed all wiring, actually removed everything. Then we put back the drivetrain, suspension, cage, and seat.

Definately work on reliability. Since you are using Ford go-go parts that you seem familiar with you will not have many of the same problems as we did. Maybe the same problems, but different parts that it.

Good luck. As TTV said, pictures please.

·
Registered
21 Posts
more Opel racing

And.... the other guy from Texas... using Ford power too (302)! Unter puff and M610... post some build pics if you have them.

Zach - the build sounds really interesting. Once you get to tuning it, there is a guy on the team I race with that knows most of the 2.3 lima tricks. He could probably help if you had any questions. FWIW, we run ours normally aspirated in a Mustang for durability, and fuel mileage.

I'll post some pics later too... still doesn't look like a car - in many many pieces still.

-Braden

Que the guy from Texas...

Cheers on building an opel Lemons car. We did the same as Team Tiny Vette. Removed all wiring, actually removed everything. Then we put back the drivetrain, suspension, cage, and seat.

Definately work on reliability. Since you are using Ford go-go parts that you seem familiar with you will not have many of the same problems as we did. Maybe the same problems, but different parts that it.

Good luck. As TTV said, pictures please.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Forgot to mention, I looked at swapping fox body stuff over to the Opel (I race on a Fox body team now with spare parts everywhere, and it is common as dirt around here for these days), and the width of the front/rear frame rails was really off.

Your front and rear track are going to be something like ~8" wider than stock Opel if you just swap the stuff in, there will be a few issues like the strut top mounts wanting to be about where the front fender skin is, and the steering shaft hitting where the stock left front frame rail is (IIRC - this was three designs ago and was scrapped pretty early).

Not trying to say it can't be done... just a few things to look at and solve along the way. Would definitely be a challenging project, and unique once done.

Keep us posted.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,458 Posts
I'm looking to put together a Kadett team using a Kadett Station Wagon.. Plan is to go all Somalia on it.. Cut the roof and make it into a bad Kadett pick up truck with a fake 50 caliber mount in the Truck bed .. :) Maybe I'm just being silly.. But looking at the pics of some of the cars in LeMons.. It would be "normal"

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
I'm looking to put together a Kadett team using a Kadett Station Wagon.. Plan is to go all Somalia on it.. Cut the roof and make it into a bad Kadett pick up truck with a fake 50 caliber mount in the Truck bed .. :) Maybe I'm just being silly.. But looking at the pics of some of the cars in LeMons.. It would be "normal"
Charles, why not cut off the back ala El Camino/Ranchero style, then do your fake macine gun?

·
7,458 Posts
Charles, why not cut off the back ala El Camino/Ranchero style, then do your fake macine gun?
That was kind of the idea :)

·
7,458 Posts
Interesting theme idea, and it offers no limits to great humor in bad taste.

But, aren't Toyota trucks the preferred vehicle of choice of "freedom fighters" the world over?
True. BUT going more for the bad taste and great humor angle :)

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
Charles, why not cut off the back ala El Camino/Ranchero style, then do your fake machine gun?
Fake? How would that be a competitive advantage?:lmao:

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
Fake? How would that be a competitive advantage?:lmao:
Bob;
I think they would have the (hopefully) brains to make take the REAL one back home, besides a .50 cal ain't light.....:veryhappy

·
7,458 Posts
There also MAY be rules against live fire exercises against other competitors.. it would be more for pure intimidation.

·
7,458 Posts
Team Opel Warlord ?

Think of the money saved on bodywork.. and tires

Attachments

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Maybe the LeMons judges would allow a Gatling paint ball gun. Of course, they would want to fire it.

Then again, the corner workers could get a little nervous. You probably would not get black flagged all weekend no matter how badly your team drives.

If the Somalia theme doesn't work out for some reason, you could drop back and do a Rat Patrol theme.

·
7,458 Posts
Maybe the LeMons judges would allow a Gatling paint ball gun. Of course, they would want to fire it.

Then again, the corner workers could get a little nervous. You probably would not get black flagged all weekend no matter how badly your team drives.

If the Somalia theme doesn't work out for some reason, you could drop back and do a Rat Patrol theme.
Maybe we could not "race" and just pelt other teams as they entered and exited the pits once we were done with the whole boring "racing thing" :)

BTW could this be considered "Safety equipment" and not go against the $500

M249 SAW Machine Gun Kit for Tippmann A5 | eBay

·
Non Civilian
2,085 Posts
There is a .50 cal reproduction kit for the Tippmann A5. I saw one mounted on the back of a Geo Tracker once. It was awesome. Driving around shooting up paintballers with a truck mounted machine gun, Woo Whoo!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts