Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Opel Addict Since 73
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to a good word-of-mouth referral from Marcus Schaper...another Opel is rescued from the crusher. Because he had too many projects of his own...last summer, Marcus had to turn down a good offer from an elderly gentleman in northern Virginia. I went to see this 1975 Ascona coupe and immediately decided it was worthy of rescue. While the battery box was non-existant...the rest of the car was rock solid and had only minor surface rust and the frame rails and jack pads were nearly pristine. The car had been sitting for 11 years but had only 45,000 original miles...including the factory exhaust parts with the "OPEL" logo still clearly visible on the mufflers. I gladly produced the $200 the original owner was asking and towed my newest project home where it sat behind my garage until a month ago. I finally got it into the garage and started the work. After repairing all the wires that the mice had chewed at the fuse box, flushing out all the fuel lines, replacing every piece of rotted rubber tubing and hose from front to back, freeing up a seized fuel pump, all four fuel injectors and installing new injector seals and retainers...it finally roared to life on saturday and purred like a kitten with 'brand-new' compression in every cylinder and not a whisp of smoke from the exhaust. With the GM A/C installed...this will make a great daily driver for 200 bucks and a little sweat equity. And the Pioneer Super Tuner it came with is probably worth what I paid for it. Next week the replacement battery box gets welded in and with a few other little details addressed...it should be ready to go. One more for the road!!! Thanks Marcus.

PS - For those who think the OEM electric fuel pumps can't be resuscitated...give it a try. Unless it's completely fried...there's a good chance it can be freed up with a little B-12 Chemtool and Kroil. Worked for me!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Very cool, Scott.

One day I WILL have another Ascona.
When I was in college, I had a Strato blue '72 2 door. Drove it like a madman.

Anyway - congrats.

Mark Thompson
Baltimore

1 - 2 of 2 Posts