Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The rookie in the compact class had an interesting evening at the racetrack, got a couple firsts over with, milestones such as first good wreck and, the good part, I brought home a trophy! Yes folks, we actually kicked butt in the trophy dash, a little six lap race between four cars drawn by lottery. I started second row outside and just started passing cars, got around the leader with two laps to go and they say from there I was just GONE. Took the checkered flag when the second car was still on the back straight.
That was really cool, pictures should be up this afternoon.
Was neat to be on the winners circle and have people I don't even know come down to the fence and join in!
Now the heat race wasn't so great, started front row outside in the A-heat (the faster cars according to qualifying time). Not a good place to be, and the within ten laps half of them got around me, then coming out of turn four one of them clipped my right rear corner and turned me around. Ended up in the grass, no caution flag came out, had to sit and wait for a safe entry back on the track. Finished last. Damn...
So the main event comes and I'm second row outside. Went like that for quite a while, I hate that second groove, everybody says we look good there but I can't gain on anybody. The faster cars came up from behind and when the track champ got around me I was able to cut down and just follow him
which was fun, he walked away but not very quickly, when he got by a car that had come around me earlier I just did likewise, was able to get under him coming out of turn two and couldn't gain down the back straight, I guess I should have backed off before he cut down, but, there was major contact between his left rear wheel and my right front corner. Put him totally sideways in front of me, for awhile it seemed, then he got backwards and tagged my left door with his front left corner. Seemed to be no damage to my car, the yellow came out, I got black flagged, to the rear of the pack. Rats. The rest of the race was rather uneventful, I just put laps on and passed a couple cars, two went out with problems, I think I finished about seventh, not even sure yet.
So the nose of Speedway GT sports some dings now, see why we don't worry about perfect bodywork when we build a race car? :)
I'm having a transmission problem I need to sort out, I have a hard time getting third gear. With the car on jackstands I watch it being shifted from above and rotate the driveshaft it shifts great every time, but on the track trying to go from second to third it takes a while, this is not good... :mad:

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Congratulations!

Great effort, Jeff - and the rest of the season to go yet.
The hard shifting from 2nd to 3rd under pressure is usually because the 1/2 syncro sleeve "overshifts" back towards 1st and the interlock prevents selection of third with the 3/4 syncro unit. Make sure that the detent springs are strong enough and that the detent groove inside the slider is deep enough to hold the slider exactly where it sould be. Make sure the shift rail detent balls and springs are good too - it all helps. It is also important that the clutch is completely released during the shift - but I am sure you know that! Under pressure it is real easy to just compress the clutch pedal enough to "slip the gearchange through" to try and make a quick shift......

·
Registered
84 Posts
WOW! A trophy! Great job!
Sounds like you did awesome to me... and hey, I can think of at least one driver who made a little "Intimidation" work in his favor! LOL~!

If I understand the story correctly you were passed by the track champ because of an inverted start? But once you were following his line he didn't just make a memory of you. That in itself is impressive!

Congrats!

DirtTrackManta

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Oh no, you dented a GT? :eek: I'm kidding...way to go Jeff.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Congratulations Jeff. Keep up the good work. Jarrell

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
wear you dents with pride :D
well done on the trophy

·
Registered
103 Posts
Congrats on winning the trophy dash, Jeff! I knew you'd be up there soon and once you get a taste more will come.

Stan C

·
Registered
84 Posts
How goes the battle?

Jeff,

It's been awhile and I am just curious as heck about how you and your GT are doing? Did you get to race this weekend?

Best regards,

DirtTrackManta

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, everybody, didn't mean to keep you in the dark. My computer has been down for about two weeks, but we're back! Man, it's weird how much you miss being on the internet, what did we do before we had these damn things?
May 28th race I was having trouble getting rid of the push we developed as the right front tire wore down, I took second in my heat race and seventh in the main, nice clean racing no wild stories there, other than a slight scratch in the right front fender where I barely missed a Pinto swapping ends...
June 4th race was with the improved right lower a-arm installed, we have a bunch more camber now! The scales indicated we were a bit low on crossweight so I added a spacer to left rear spring and took some practice laps. Oh boy, were we loose now!! I like pushing better... not so scary, more predictable!! So the Kruse Racing Team came over and flew into action, put some cross in and lowered the panhard bar and let air out of front left and right rear and put air in front right and left rear and said "good luck in the heat race..." Which I started second row outside and got to second with the faster cars behind me tapping on me hinting that they'd kind of like to come around... Which EVERYBODY did when I spun out coming out of turn two with two laps to go. Witnesses say it was a 720 degree spin, that's two rotations, all I know is I came out pointing forward, the caution flag was out and I went to the back of the pack. Just followed everybody for the last two laps...
Then came the main, I started second row inside, my first start on the bottom groove, hooray! The green flag dropped and on lap two I got around a car in turn one, was in second place for about three laps when I got a tap from behind which got me loose coming out of turn two and in trying to control it two cars got around. It was a rough race, I saw a lot of banging around going on in front of me, when we were lapping the slowest cars three of 'em were tangled up sideways in front of me, I though "oh, boy, I'm gonna be in this one" but when I opened my eyes :D just kidding :D I was through it with not a scratch! When the race resumed again I was able to to advance a spot but got lapped by three cars. I think I finished sixth, haven't seen the official results.
Let me tell you, the adrenaline rush from that race took overnight to go away...

·
Registered
84 Posts
SWEET!
Now that is what I am talking about! You better keep that computer up and running! I need these kind of motivational stories!

Funny, I would much rather be loose than push. Maybe this is just a dirt thing but pushing means for us the car goes where IT wants to. Loose just means I am grinning from ear to ear. :D Well, unless I loop it. :eek:

Congratulations!

DirtTrackManta

1 - 10 of 10 Posts