Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering is there were any plans for a New England get-together this fall? Gary? I missed the Opels on the Lawn, and will not be going to this years OMC picnic either. I need my Opel 'fix'! Maybe we can have an impromptu meeting like we did a few years ago in Worcester, MA, or meet at the race track (Vintage Fall Festival at Lime Rock maybe?), or just plan a scenic drive in the country perhaps.....

Bob
'Getting itchy to race my Opel.'

·
Super Moderator
13,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, the Lime Rock Vintage Fall Festival is Aug. 30-Sept. 2 this year, with Sunday the 1st a non-race day as usual
(local sound ordinance). There is a large car show on the track on Sunday however. This is the 20th year of the Fall Festival, and there will be some great racecars there, including many of the old SCCA Trans-Am cars from the late '60's and early '70's.
Check out www.limerock.com for more info on dates, times, and prices.

Bob

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
Care to speculate when the Ascona is going to be ready to drive? It may be a good idea to set the date for sometime after you expect it to be ready...plus a little fudge factor:)

This would also give others in New England a little more time to get their cars ready.

Think we could get Jim and Gregg to each bring a car?

-Travis

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
I know a guy with access to a large seculded parking lot just outside of Hardford:) We could have a BBQ, poke at our cars(theres a pretty good supply of tools), check our corner weights and do some laps around the building. Could be a good time...

-Travis

·
Super Moderator
13,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The racecar is probably only going to be completed for mid-fall. I'd like to get it out a couple of times this year to shake it down and evaluate my setup, then correct whatever needs work over the winter. This way, I can try to run as many races next year as my budget will allow.

Gregg could certainly be coerced into bringing a car or two, but Jim doesn't have a street Opel currently registered (he still has his red Steinmetz-flared GT with dual Webers tucked away in his barn though). I doubt he'd bring the racecar down, unless I bribed him with talk of setting up his chassis on my scales:D .

I hadn't given much thought to using the parking lot at work (www.legeregroup.com) for an Opel meeting, but it's certainly large enough to accomodate all the Opels in New England! Sadly, I've lost the full use of the lot for 'testing', as we've recently had a new tenant move in. So I can only use the high-speed 3rd-gear sweeper for car testing, and not the full 'course' like I used to . An all-Opel autocross could be interesting though.....

Bob

·
Administrator
10,083 Posts
I'm up for Limerock. The only problem is I'm returning from Portland, OR on Saturday night..... Anyone want to do Sunday and/or Monday??

The "Legere Test Track" might be good for Opels Across America. ;) It's Waaay out in October and Bob might be ready for testing then. :eek:

Or we could also do another resturaunt meet in a central location.
I'm open to suggestions.

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
Well, if you guys are doing the restaurant meet and don't want to wait until October, I'll be back in town for the second and third week in September. ;) Totally game but would be Opelless (no, I'm not driving back).

Though I really wish I could do the Limerock thing... the Vintage Fall Festival is THE BEST!

Walter
(counting the days 'til he gets to eat fresh Maine lobster again)

·
Super Moderator
13,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whatta you say Gary, should we hold another informal get-together at a restaurant while Walter is in town? It was fun the last time, and since we have a New Englander/west coast transfer coming back this way, it's an excuse to set a date in September. No reason we can't have ANOTHER one in October as well.

Bob

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
Woohoo! Worcester's good for me...or anywhere, really. I arrive Sept 12th morning and leave again on Sept. 22 afternoon. Bad thing is that Sunday, Sept. 15th, I have to go to my girlfriend's sister's wedding. No way out of that one, unfortunately, else I'm in the doghouse. Any other day or evening works for me, though.

Walter

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
The 21st is fine with me. The place is worcester used to be called Acapulco. I have no idea what it's called now!

-Travis

·
Super Moderator
13,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll be there as long as it's not September 14-15th (I'm hillclimb racing at Mt. Ascutney in my WRX) or October 6th (I'm running a rallycross in Vermont in an Opel).
Another cerveza please......

Bob
'Still mesmerized by the Trans-Am cars at the Lime Rock Vintage Fall Festival.....'

·
Super Moderator
13,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gary, do you have a head count yet for the meeting on the 21st? What about a meeting time? I might be able to get a few more Opel people to show up.

Bob

·
Registered
23 Posts
21st of september??? I'll should be able to make it with my new opel. It would be nice seeing some others, mine is the first and only one I've seen in person. (72 Manta)
I'll need directions and times.
-Nick

·
Super Moderator
13,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gary said the reservation was for 2:30. Give him an e-mail to let him know so he can make sure you have a seat, last time it got real crowded in there! I don't think he's posted directions yet however.

Bob

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
They have a map on their web site in addition to the directions below.

-Travis

http://www.tortillasams.com/directions.html

From the East
Take the Mass Pike to the 495 Exit. Go north on 495 until you get to the 290 exit. Take 290 west into Worcester. Get off at Exit 18/Route 9. Bear right off the ramp following signs for Route 9 West. Go through a couple of lights until you get to the Route 9 intersection and take a right going west which is also Highland Street. Tortilla Sam's is a 1/2 mile on the left.

From the West
Take the Mass Pike to exit 10 in Auburn. Get on 290 going east. Take Exit 17/Route 9. Take a left at the end of the ramp onto Route 9 West. Follow through a major intersection (Route 9 and Highland Street are one in the same at that point), and Tortilla Sam's is 1/2 mile on the left.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts