Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Super Moderator
15,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering is there were any plans for a New England get-together this fall? Gary? I missed the Opels on the Lawn, and will not be going to this years OMC picnic either. I need my Opel 'fix'! Maybe we can have an impromptu meeting like we did a few years ago in Worcester, MA, or meet at the race track (Vintage Fall Festival at Lime Rock maybe?), or just plan a scenic drive in the country perhaps.....

Bob
'Getting itchy to race my Opel.'

· Super Moderator
15,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW, the Lime Rock Vintage Fall Festival is Aug. 30-Sept. 2 this year, with Sunday the 1st a non-race day as usual
(local sound ordinance). There is a large car show on the track on Sunday however. This is the 20th year of the Fall Festival, and there will be some great racecars there, including many of the old SCCA Trans-Am cars from the late '60's and early '70's.
Check out www.limerock.com for more info on dates, times, and prices.

Bob

· Super Moderator
15,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The racecar is probably only going to be completed for mid-fall. I'd like to get it out a couple of times this year to shake it down and evaluate my setup, then correct whatever needs work over the winter. This way, I can try to run as many races next year as my budget will allow.

Gregg could certainly be coerced into bringing a car or two, but Jim doesn't have a street Opel currently registered (he still has his red Steinmetz-flared GT with dual Webers tucked away in his barn though). I doubt he'd bring the racecar down, unless I bribed him with talk of setting up his chassis on my scales:D .

I hadn't given much thought to using the parking lot at work (www.legeregroup.com) for an Opel meeting, but it's certainly large enough to accomodate all the Opels in New England! Sadly, I've lost the full use of the lot for 'testing', as we've recently had a new tenant move in. So I can only use the high-speed 3rd-gear sweeper for car testing, and not the full 'course' like I used to . An all-Opel autocross could be interesting though.....

Bob

· Super Moderator
15,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whatta you say Gary, should we hold another informal get-together at a restaurant while Walter is in town? It was fun the last time, and since we have a New Englander/west coast transfer coming back this way, it's an excuse to set a date in September. No reason we can't have ANOTHER one in October as well.

Bob

· Super Moderator
15,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll be there as long as it's not September 14-15th (I'm hillclimb racing at Mt. Ascutney in my WRX) or October 6th (I'm running a rallycross in Vermont in an Opel).
Another cerveza please......

Bob
'Still mesmerized by the Trans-Am cars at the Lime Rock Vintage Fall Festival.....'

· Super Moderator
15,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gary, do you have a head count yet for the meeting on the 21st? What about a meeting time? I might be able to get a few more Opel people to show up.

Bob

· Super Moderator
15,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gary said the reservation was for 2:30. Give him an e-mail to let him know so he can make sure you have a seat, last time it got real crowded in there! I don't think he's posted directions yet however.

Bob

· Super Moderator
15,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
REMINDER!!!!!

Just a reminder, tomorrow (Sept 21 st) is the meeting of the New England Opel Club at Tortilla Sam's in Worcester. If you can make it, show up, with or without an Opel. It's not a car show, just a get-together to BS over Opel stuff, eat some food, and drink some beers. 2:30 is the time.

Bob Legere

· Super Moderator
15,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ouch, rough crowd....

Hey, that's okay Travis, I'm proud to admit part of me still IS a virgin:p. I intend to keep it that way.

I'll try to remember to bring some cervezas. Gonna have your GT mobil?

Bob

· Super Moderator
15,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Set the valve lash at .016" and .018". I realize the manufacturer specs a lot looser, but they're ALWAYS on the safe side. We ran a cam with .540" lift and 266 duration @ .050" with only .018" and .020" clearance. Lived to 9500 rpms. I ran a cam similar to the one in your racecar on a street car with much tigher specs for 48k miles.

Piston slap is annoying, yes, you'll definitely hear it @ .005" (I also run this tighter). But, to be blunt, Opels are, well, agricultural-sounding by nature. Not exactly of Cosworth pedigree.....

Where's the ignition timing at now? It'll affect the sound of the idle drastically. Guess we can talk about it tomorrow at the meeting.

Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.