Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
well, I just looked up directions in mapquest, and it's a 2 hour drive from milford CT, so I don't think I'll make it. Not that I wouldn't drive that far for a car meet, just not that far in a 32 year old all original car, that I've only had for a week, lol.
I'll have to catch the next one defianatly!

·
Administrator
10,410 Posts
Thanks for listing the directions, Travis!

Nick, come on by with or without yer Manta. I hope to drive my '69 GT if I can get the time to fix the fuel pump. (More on that later!)

I'm calling in reservations for 10 to 12. We have 8 confirmed.

·
Super Moderator
15,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
REMINDER!!!!!

Just a reminder, tomorrow (Sept 21 st) is the meeting of the New England Opel Club at Tortilla Sam's in Worcester. If you can make it, show up, with or without an Opel. It's not a car show, just a get-together to BS over Opel stuff, eat some food, and drink some beers. 2:30 is the time.

Bob Legere

·
Super Moderator
15,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ouch, rough crowd....

Hey, that's okay Travis, I'm proud to admit part of me still IS a virgin:p. I intend to keep it that way.

I'll try to remember to bring some cervezas. Gonna have your GT mobil?

Bob

·
Senior Contributor
901 Posts
RallyBob said:

Gonna have your GT mobil?

No, it's not going to make it. I broke the motor in last weekend and all seemed to go well. Afterwards I dropped the idle down to 1200 rpm and the motor sounds a little funny so I haven't done much with the motor since. Up close to the motor(my exhaust is load) it kinda sounds like a tractor. Doesn't sound like bearings to me and my oil pressure is good. I'm not sure what piston slap from .005" clearance is going to sound like. But my guess is that it's the seemingly huge ~.024" lash of the valves(I don't recall the exact numbers).

Chris had assured me I'd have the roller rockers before the weekend and since I'd prefer to open the motor only once to double check/set the valve lash I figured I'd wait. A bit naive of me I guess:) I've had other stuff to do on the car so waiting hasn't really been a set back

-Travis

·
Super Moderator
15,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Set the valve lash at .016" and .018". I realize the manufacturer specs a lot looser, but they're ALWAYS on the safe side. We ran a cam with .540" lift and 266 duration @ .050" with only .018" and .020" clearance. Lived to 9500 rpms. I ran a cam similar to the one in your racecar on a street car with much tigher specs for 48k miles.

Piston slap is annoying, yes, you'll definitely hear it @ .005" (I also run this tighter). But, to be blunt, Opels are, well, agricultural-sounding by nature. Not exactly of Cosworth pedigree.....

Where's the ignition timing at now? It'll affect the sound of the idle drastically. Guess we can talk about it tomorrow at the meeting.

Bob

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.