Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have scoured the "internets" buy nor found a conclusive answer, so I put it out to the all knowing:

Is there any new speakers that will simply bolt into the factory mount in a GT?

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,576 Posts
This company sells it, it's probably the same company as the eBay outfit. We have members in Europe that could help with the shipping if needed. Send the company an email and see if they will ship to the US. Unless you plan to overhaul the whole sound system, there's no point in putting upgraded speakers in the car in my opinion and a stock unit becomes the best solution.

https://www.ranvooonline.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=276841

I don't care for my speaker as I will eventually put a better system in. But, I don't know for sure if it works and I wouldn't really beat this price. It's pretty dang cheap and NOS.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Ron, I think that would be a good choice. (Cheaper, and modern) When is anyone is going to look at the speaker and say it is not original? I got rid of my speaker when I put a modern stereo system in the GT. Plays recorded MP3 songs from an SD card, AM, FM, and CD's. If you like your music, get a modern stereo player. Just my opinion, and everyone know about opinions.

Bob

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, more info on this topic.

The one I linked to above will drop into my 1970 GT, but not necessarily on later models.

I received a speaker from a 1972, and the mounting "ears" are further apart than mine. Fortunately, I can make it work as I have the grill as well (thanks Gordon!).

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Ron, I think that would be a good choice. (Cheaper, and modern) When is anyone is going to look at the speaker and say it is not original? I got rid of my speaker when I put a modern stereo system in the GT. Plays recorded MP3 songs from an SD card, AM, FM, and CD's. If you like your music, get a modern stereo player. Just my opinion, and everyone know about opinions.

Bob
I'm with you Bob. The original speaker didn't sound good when it was new. There are much better options these days for not much money. Just be careful about buying a speaker that claims it can handle lots of power because they are usually are not very efficient and take a lot of power to make sound. Also, don't buy speakers with foam suspension as the foam fails quickly. I had to replace the speakers (5 x 7) in my F-150 (foam rotted) and bought ones off Amazon and for less than $100 for 4 they sound great.

·
Daydreamer
2 Posts
Certainly not a bolt-in install, but back in the day I had a pair of high-powered Kenwood 6" x 9" speakers mounted in the space under the rear spare tire well, and it sounded amazing paired to my powered Kenwood head unit.

I started with a 1" thick piece of piano wood -- for real, straight up strap from a friend's piano shop, and I have no idea if that had anything to do with it other than being incredibly dense. I cut the wood to match that rear panel size and bolted it in with a no-holes install. Basically it was two pieces of 2" wide wood vertically mounted in the framing of that space using bolts through the piano wood into some pronged t-nuts in the 2" supports. I was able to crank it down and squeeze that rear framing to where it was pretty much a part of the body itself. The shape of the space under the wheel storage including the space under the rear floor acted as a great resonator. I think I matched that to just a pair of 4" in the doors. A good 6" x 9" loses that inherent muddiness you hear in something like a 10" and gets that nice deep thump that comes with some good 8" or 12" woofers. And it fit perfect, like it was made for it especially after upholstering the piano wood.

Of course I was 19 at the time, and who knows what I knew then, haha.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just an update.

I installed the replacement speaker in the GT tonight - bolt in after all. My old speaker had an adapter on it that attached to the speaker, then the adapter attached to the grille. Not sure of it is original or not, but if it was fabricated, they did a very good job. I can find out as my Dad was the original owner, I'll ask him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts