Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Raging Opel-holic
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a complete car involved in a garage fire that needs restored. I want to keep it. Everything is very stock and complete. The roof and hood have burnt paint and the interior is damaged. The glass is out as well. The paint is good from the glass down. This IS a 38k car not registered since '87. All undercarriage and parts look newer than any other I've seen. The bushings, bump stops, and brake lines all look clean. There is no rust under the car and the engine is as new....air injection system is all there. The car is an original split bumper. The bumper is in good condition with one ding vertically about the size of a sharpie half into the leading edge. The rear panel is one without the impression at the plate and is completely smooth. The engine bay is undamaged and looks clean. I have to finish paying for my house and have not had the time/money to do the kind of restoration a car like this requires. Seems I always have plenty of one or the other independently, but not at the same time. I am looking for someone who would want the car for restoration as it is too good and rare a car to be hacked up. This post is intended to evaluate any serious interest to that end. If you are someone looking for the rarest of GT's, this is the one. Post here or PM me. Serious inquiries only.

·
Raging Opel-holic
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Gill's Opinion

When I had first bought this car I spoke with Gill of OGTS about it. He said he thought there were likely 10 or fewer GT's built with the options on it (Forest Green and brown, split bumper with rare head). This car also has the rare racer sought head with the delta mark.

·
Opel Key Master
5,263 Posts
There is nothing racer about a Delta head or rare!!!! I have 4 of the things sitting around, and prefer not to run them as the only difference are the bearings are a different size and not as easy to get. The "H" head is desirable though, but please don't say the word Delta...it makes it worse

·
Raging Opel-holic
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Clarification of ID and correction of mistake

I had made a mistake listing the head as a delta marked version. It has 19 H stamped into the flat ground area forward of the metal plate (with three bolts) located above the engine identification. The engine number is *19S-0232779*. The Chassis No is 94 1707872. The Color is 1701 15.

·
Raging Opel-holic
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Head is not DELTA

There is nothing racer about a Delta head or rare!!!! I have 4 of the things sitting around, and prefer not to run them as the only difference are the bearings are a different size and not as easy to get. The "H" head is desirable though, but please don't say the word Delta...it makes it worse
Thanks for pointing this out to me. I had posted the wrong information and appreciate the opportunity to fix it quickly. It has been a while since I'd last looked at the car's numbers and info/specs. I do recall Gill mentioning that this is a rare and good optioned GT. The only thing to make it more rare would be if it had short seats from the '68 built cars. To make it clear, this is a 38,*** mile car. Not to be confused with a 138K or 238K car. The mileage shows in the undamaged parts of the car. I will post some pics asap.

·
Opel Key Master
5,263 Posts
Pictures are going to do you well...as right now it sounds like a burnt up parts car. Take extra pics of what interior is good. If it is all melted...you don't have anything special because the tough to get color is ruined. I worry about how hot things get when it is on fire anyways and lasting.

·
MiniCorvette69
71 Posts
U have a this? This one is Mine

If you do, this makes it 2 (left) of 40 Imported that year (68 European or Early 69)...
This is why the VIN (and condition) are so important

Mine is:

Production Day for 94-1672352 / Our sign: 489214-362867439

Engine 19S-0266772
Transmission 4-speed, manual
Colour 15 / Green metallic
Trim 701 / beige, artificial leather
Prod.- date February 3, 1969
Country USA

80k Original, Rust Free Washington Car
no fire, cause it rains too much here...
I have pictures of Split Bumper and all

Do this and Ask with your VIN:
Kai Kuntz
Adam Opel AG
Service Center Technik
[email protected]
Tel: 06142-7-75008 Fax 06142-7-75009

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
If you do, this makes it 2 (left) of 40 Imported that year (68 European or Early 69)...
John,

I'm not sure what you mean here. You have #94-1672352, while GT Pheel has 94-1707872. But, I own 94-1685673 and a couple of years ago I saw 94-1697445 in a small town northwest of Dallas. So, that makes at least three GTs earlier than the one which GT Pheel has. In an earlier discussion on split-bumper cars, there were two additional members who said that they have these early cars in the US. On the German web site OpelGTFahrgestellnummern.de, there are about six cars with VINS
lower then GT Pheel's car listed in the US. According to the Book "Projekt 1484", there were 31 GTs which were produced during calendar 1968 imported to the US by Buick. None of the cars which we have been discussing is in that range. BUT, these 31 cars were 1969 model year vehicles! You, GT Pheel and I all participated in another thread on the split-bumper GTs in spring 2011. Bill

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/gt/26219-how-many-split-bumper-gts-there-2.html

·
Raging Opel-holic
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
More onfo on Split Bumper soon

I will post some pics and the body number for the car as well as register it with the German site as soon as I have time. Got a GSX-R 750 to finish polishing and put together so I can sell it. The body number and pics will clear up the condition questions and show that it is not as bad as made out. The interior is burnt and will need most of it replaced to be nice. Some pieces look ok, but it would be better to have something new installed. I have spoke with Gill about the availability of or a source for the correct color. He said it would likely require a custom shop if they will do only one. The car is also in good enough condition to "pop" the dents out from the fire and repair the body without replacing the roof. It was not badly burnt and most of the car was undamaged. I will have the numbers and pics posted some time in the next few days.

·
Raging Opel-holic
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
body number 2944

1.9h head
2944 body number
*19S-0232779* engine number
94 1707872 vin

I will try to load the pics from my phone.

·
Raging Opel-holic
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
pics loaded?

I believe I got the pics to load in my garage under the name chrispina.

·
Opeler
479 Posts
I only see 3 pictures & not very good ones....If you are wanting to realy sell this car take the time and post alot of detailed pictures.... why you may ask.... because there are fokes here on this site like myself that can restore this Gt back to i'ts former glory!!!
I am intrested in this prodject.....Millage realy does not realy matter on this car because of the fire. Everything will need to be gone through. I would think it will take around $20,000. in parts and paint at least to restore.....not including labor..... I know because I have 3 Gt's sitting in my garage now. And I'm a sucker for another prodject:banghead:.

Bottom line is what are you asking for this Gt?
Steve

·
Raging Opel-holic
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gallery updated

Uploaded 20 pics to the gallery section. They are pending approval at the time of this posting. Hopefully they are of a better quality and show the good and bad areas of this GT. I had bought this to rebuild and now feel it would likely be completed more quickly by someone else. If there is an interest in the car as a project for restoration, I will sell it to someone for that purpose. If it is not in good enough condition for restoration, I will part it out to owners of split bumper GT(s) looking to complete their cars or to replace incorrect parts that had been used in their repair. This is a rare car and will not be sold to be hacked. If there is an interest in it as a repairable project, send me a PM. The car is located in central Indiana. I have the trailer shown in the gallery pics that could be used to deliver this vehicle within 1500 miles of here. Anything further may be negotiable. I would really like for this car to be restored. I'm not looking for window shoppers or tire kickers. If you have an interest in the car and the means to complete the project, we can discuss what the car is worth. I am not trying to get rich or make a lot of money with this. I am married with children and have other projects that realistically do not afford the time to invest what this car will require or deserves. This GT has all the major components in low mileage (38k) condition. The areas that require replacements include the interior and glass. The body can very likely be repaired. The roof and panel below the back glass are warped and dented due to heat and parts falling from shelves in the garage it was being stored in when the garage burnt. The car did not catch on fire. It was in a garage that burnt and suffered damage due to it. There were non-Opel car parts inside the GT that fell through the glass. There is little rust underneath. The one year, 1969 only, color combination (Green/Brown) makes it difficult, or near impossible to match the brown interior. It can be done, but will likely require custom work. The head is an "H" head and has all the stock air injection system still installed to the intake. These were usually removed shortly after the cars came out in '69. Most ended up thrown away. If you have knowledge of whether or not this car is in a repairable state or too far gone, your opinion is appreciated.

·
Raging Opel-holic
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another body number?

I am not certain what numbers are the body number. I just got back from checking some more numbers and looking at some areas to give a clear understanding of what this car is and what condition it is in. There are two numbers that are stamped into the core support. The small triangle pieces to each side have a number stamped in them. The driver's side has a stamp that can be read from the front (#'s stamped and readable if standing at the bumper and looking toward the car) with the number 1016 centered in the triangle. On the passenger side, readable facing toward the front as if sitting in the seat looking to the bumper, there is the number 2944 on a piece of the support that is on the radiator side just outside of the triangle piece. Looking at the picture of the core, just now, it looks as if there could be one more number in the triangle deep in the corner below the rubber hood seal near the 2944. This GT also has a hood that is flat at the sides. It's as if it would cut off your fingers at the sides of the upper (at fender body/hood line) area of the hood if closed on your hand. Gil said this is likely a '68 hood or '68 sheet metal. The gauges in the car have the date 12/68 stamped on the back. This car has an aluminum valve cover, not the early '68 cast iron ones. I am going to register this car with the German site that is tracking split bumpers and see what Opel has for build info to better represent this GT. After looking at the roof today, I would say that it is in need of a donor roof. There is a rare '68 split bumper in Germany that is in need of the bumper, so I am waiting to get info back and what rout is best taken with this GT. I have some interest in it for a rebuild and some as for its parts. Could use some others input that understand these split bumper GTs and making repairs to the roof or if it is too far gone for rebuild. Again, there are many pics up in my gallery area. If you need to see another area, let me know so it can be posted or sent. Thanks again,
Philip

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
An early or mid-year 1969 GT is not that rare.

Many GT's were in production in late 1968 and early 1969, then exported and sold within the USA in Spring 1969. About 3 times per year, a 1969 GT which has 1968-style parts installed is offered for sale. Split-bumpers themselves have been seen on Ebay once in a while asking $100-$300.

Those should not be confused with the first production GT's which were imported prior to August 1968 for testing and promotions, and which according to GM have VIN numbers preceding 94-155####.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,260 Posts
My two cents

Valueing your car and is it worth fixing up:

These are just my personal opinions on GT value and how that pertains to your car. First, it was in a FIRE. :yikes: A fire bad enough where you're thinking the roof needs to be replaced. Just this fact alone makes your car worth less than any other GT, with all other factors being equal. Even if it had 10 miles on the odometer. It's a simple question: Would you rather buy a car for $5000 that was in a fire and had all sorts of stuff replaced or an identical car that had never been in a fire?

Split bumpers are ugly. That's why they changed to a one piece design.

I suggest your choice of two options: Sell the parts and make a profit for very little effort or fix up the car because you like it and want to keep it.

Fixing it up to sell, thinking that it'll fetch $10,000-$20,000 as a rare stock vehicle isn't going to happen. Fully restored fully oem GT's, that have never been in an accident and have little or no rust or body putty sell for $8000-$10,000. Performance and tricked out ones sell for more. It'll probably cost $5-10K just to fix it up to oem condition, unless you do a lot of the work yourself.

If you like the car and want to fix it up and keep it.......:banana::arms::banana::arms::banana:....then welcome to the party!

I'm just saying that even if that was the earliest existing GT, the fact of the fire should make any buyer very leary and it would require an absolutely excellent restore job and great expense on your part just to bring it up to the value of an unmolested perfect GT.

·
Raging Opel-holic
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Never said I was looking for $5,000

I have never stated that I wanted $5,000 for this car. I know what the low mileage parts are worth. It is the reason I bought the car. Just started turning into a car rare enough to question should I. Many people have hacked cars that were nice enough to be put back together. Before I hack up one or part out what I don't need, I have tried to show the courtesy and ask if it should be. Many have said it should be put together. Some people here have said it's been burnt and the low mileage means nothing. OK....by that logic, is a 30 k engine and "H" head worth more than one with 130k? I am not asking for some astronomical amount for this car. A fair value for what is good on the car and a realistic assessment as to how much it costs to repair it and what a burnt car is worth. It may have been used as a wood stove for all I care. There are excellent parts on it, it is rare enough to ask people if there is anyone interested in it, ask for advice from people who know more about it, so that is what this is. I was thinking it might be worth $2-3,000 if it were some "IT" car. If not, it would likely be $1500 or so to someone wanting to fix it. I could part it for a lot more than that for the parts of it that are still good. I am able to transport it to anywhere within 1500 miles or so, if it is to be a project car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts