Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After fighting for too long to get my factory stamped pan flat and non-leaking I finally just decided to bite the bullet and design up my own aluminum one. Is there any interest in more? I have my first batch coming soon. It's made from 6061, shot-peened and hardcoat anodized aluminum. Guaranteed to be flat and compatible with standard gaskets. It is finned, has extra fluid capacity and is even pilot pointed for a drain plug or magnetic drain plug if you want. Pricing varies with qty's we get but it would be something like:

5: $175 + shipping (probably a flat-rate USPS box @$13
10: $150 + Shipping

Delivery would be EARLY January

Reply here for more info or PM me if you want to commit to one!

·
Pedal Smasher
2,119 Posts
Wow... very tempting at that price and good design. If I wasn’t going the Getrag route I’d buy one.

I’ll watch this thread and see what kind of interest you get. I’ll consider buying one if it allows some sort of pricing deal to happen. I still plan on refreshing the stock one for posterity lol.

·
Opelnut
932 Posts
I have some interest depending on final price

would Want 2 or 3 maybe

Reactions: Autoholic

·
Can Opeler
3,288 Posts
I'm in for one if it gets down to the 10 unit price. Looks like a great design.

Reactions: soybean

·
Über Genius
8,934 Posts
That's a lot of CNC work for those prices.

If I were keeping the 4 speed, I'd pick one up.

Reactions: soybean

·
Super Moderator
13,457 Posts
Since you’re still in the design stages, I’d recommend one change. Put the drain plug at the right rear corner of the pan. There’s a significant engine/tranny tilt rearward and sideways, so if you use a centrally located drain plug, you’ll leave a lot of gear oil behind.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally got around to getting under the car and putting this on. I did drill-n-tap for a magnetic drain plug too. Everything fit great! I'll take a look at Bob's suggestion of moving the drain hole, at the very least I'll be able to move it back TOWARDS that corner, not sure i'll be able to get it on the corner like his. Trying to keep it to a 1" nominal plate thickness. I'll post a design update when I move it but it looks like I'll be able to move 10 of these. For those interested in buying one, would you want the hole pre drilled and tapped for a standard drain plug?

·
Opelnut
932 Posts
yes , then its ready to go on the car no extra effort to install

Reactions: soybean and ejota

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
OK I made the few changes I wanted from my first one. Mostly minor details like adding chamfers and such but also the big one of moving the drain hole rearward and pre-tapping for m14x1.5.
The drain plug I recommend is:
Drain Plug

This plug happens to be the same as the oil pan, so order 2!

I will have final pricing hopefully this weekend but as of now we should be close to that 10 piece price. So far I have:
Name qty
Paul M ..... 1
nbrcrnchr ..... 1
opelnut 1 ..... 3
oliper ..... 2
knorm65 ..... 1
ejota ..... 1
Mikenotigan .....1
Autoholic.....1

Anyone else?

1 - 20 of 253 Posts