Opel GT Forum banner
301 - 309 of 309 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #301 ·
Maybe USPS doesn't send the email out until they're scanned in? I packed them up with the my 8 year old employee last night and dropped them all off at USPS this AM. If nothing shows up overnight in your inbox let me know. I'll call the Postmaster General himself

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
706 Posts
Jeff, have you sold the remaining pan already?
In the event one is still available I would like to purchase it.......A new more efficient part for an old car what could be better. An early Christmas present to myself. Thanks, Carl

·
Registered
805 Posts
I have a question. After holding my new cover in storage, allowing it to age for almost 18 months, I pulled it out and installed it. However, when I pulled the old cover, the only thing that dropped down was the spring -- no sign of the ball, although I did not think to look up into the hole for it. Rally Bob has mentioned that, on occasion, the ball will actually be held in place by the stickiness of the gear oil. I would say that I hope this is the case with my gearbox, except that I was raised under the Old Man's dictum that "'Hope', 'Hospital' and 'Horseshit' are all on the same page of the dictionary.

So my question is, "What is the purpose of the (possibly missing) ball, and what penalty will I pay if it is not there?"

Thanks, in advance.

·
Super Moderator
5,947 Posts
The ball sits in a recess in the reverse gear shaft when in "reverse" , and functions as a reverse shifter "detente" to help hold it in reverse gear.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #307 ·
I’ve got the 2 pans left. Message me if you’re interested. The gen 2 (without spring keeper) is a few bucks less. Give me a few days as I’m currently in the north woods enjoying the scenery!

301 - 309 of 309 Posts