Opel GT Forum banner

101 - 120 of 253 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,457 Posts
Here’s a pic of the underside of a 4-speed. Spring is at the lower center of the pan rail.

Close up pic shows the spring a bit better. Below the spring (technically above the spring as it sits in the car), there’s a steel ball bearing which rides in depressions on a shaft. It’s a detent spring and ball to hold the shaft location. The steel ball is often held in place in the hole by the stickiness of the oil.

Attachments

·
RunOpel
1,233 Posts
That video from Kyler and the pics and description from RallyBob educated me well. I will go back and recheck that area. I think part of the gasket was blocking that hole. I was thinking the spring would have been somewhere within the gears area. Now I know why :yup:

I agree the pictures are way to small. Maybe I'm not inserting properly. I used the insert image box, is that the right one to use for pictures?

·
RunOpel
1,233 Posts
Thanks for the advice :yup: Rookie mistake :veryhappy

I rechecked and verified there is no spring (sorry Opelspenner), but the ball bearing is present. OGTS doesn't sell the spring, I suppose you can purchase those springs from somewhere?

Looking at that transmission, can you tell if it looks okay. I have no history of how the PO drove the car. There gears appear to be in good condition, not sure what else I should be looking for.

Attachments

·
RunOpel
1,233 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #108 (Edited)
Design is done!

Here is Revision 3. Changes from the last run include:
Moved Drain hole to Passenger rear corner
Added an optional spring holder and spacer replacement for all the missing spring seats for the detent spring. Its a simple set-screw and nut that will help hold the spring in place during installation and the nut will take the place of the oft-missing (like mine) seat.
Finish will be the same Hardcoat Anodized 6061-T6 as the last run
If I could get a ROUGH estimate here of who wants one that will help me figure out my production qty. There will be a discount for here (which I'll work out pricing today) but its going to be nearly the same as last time.

Please use this form to add your name (non-binding... but please be nice)

·
Registered
581 Posts
I need permission to access the form. Go ahead and add my name, or send PM with necessary information.
MAS

Added an optional spring holder and spacer replacement for all the missing spring seats for the detent spring. Its a simple set-screw and nut that will help hold the spring in place during installation and the nut will take the place of the oft-missing (like mine) seat.
If I could get a ROUGH estimate here of who wants one that will help me figure out my production qty. There will be a discount for here (which I'll work out pricing today) but its going to be nearly the same as last time.

·
RunOpel
1,233 Posts
Hey Opelspenner the pan and modifications look great. I tried to access the form, but couldn't because it said I needed permission.
I definitely want one so please mark me down for one :yup: Thanks

·
What's a Nopel?
350 Posts

Count me in for one! I'll update on form when the permissions are corrected.

Thanks
Marc

·
Pedal Smasher
2,119 Posts
It didn't take long to sell the one I had last time. It was very well designed. Has the ball detente been tested to work? A 3D printed prototype would be a good idea since this is the first time this cover has involved a very specific mating point. You wouldn't even need to 3D print the whole cover, just a section of it to confirm that it bolts to the trans and the detente is properly placed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
It didn't take long to sell the one I had last time. It was very well designed. Has the ball detente been tested to work? A 3D printed prototype would be a good idea since this is the first time this cover has involved a very specific mating point. You wouldn't even need to 3D print the whole cover, just a section of it to confirm that it bolts to the trans and the detente is properly placed.
We talked about it, if someone has an extra trans-sans-pan and would be willing to try a piece out i'm all for it. I could print it this weekend and send it early next week.
The grub screw and platform are optional too. The landing surface for the factory spring and seat is identical to the factory stamped pan.

I was also considering packaging these as a kit, with the best (i've found) magnetic drain plug and perhaps even a gasket. Maybe even the stainless cap screws and lock washers i've found to work well. Would those who are interested be into having a full kit assembly?

-jeff

·
Pedal Smasher
2,119 Posts
A whole kit would be interesting and easy. The drain bolt you recommended last time was very good. People would probably save on shipping costs.

I would say until you've tested the ball detente, you shouldn't do a full run. Millimeters matter for this if I'm not mistaken, I wouldn't want to commit to a project like this without verifying that it all mates just fine. It's the production equivalent of measure twice, cut once. Imagine being like 2mm off on the location and now the whole pan doesn't bolt down correctly? That would get really frustrating being so close but yet no cigar.

Cosmetic comment: If there is going to be any custom script on the pan, it would be cool to put the Blitz on it or something like that. Maybe the shift pattern? Or useful, the oil weight that should be put into the trans.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
A whole kit would be interesting and easy. The drain bolt you recommended last time was very good. People would probably save on shipping costs.

I would say until you've tested the ball detente, you shouldn't do a full run. Millimeters matter for this if I'm not mistaken, I wouldn't want to commit to a project like this without verifying that it all mates just fine. It's the production equivalent of measure twice, cut once. Imagine being like 2mm off on the location and now the whole pan doesn't bolt down correctly? That would get really frustrating being so close but yet no cigar.

Cosmetic comment: If there is going to be any custom script on the pan, it would be cool to put the Blitz on it or something like that. Maybe the shift pattern? Or useful, the oil weight that should be put into the trans.
[/QUOTE] Millimeters matter for this if I'm not mistaken, I wouldn't want to commit to a project like this without verifying that it all mates just fine. It's the production equivalent of measure twice, cut once. Imagine being like 2mm off on the location and now the whole pan doesn't bolt down correctly? That would get really frustrating being so close but yet no cigar.[/QUOTE]

Yes it would be. Did it once. What kind of price was it. I must confess, I didn't read the entire thread.
Just jumped on the back end of the thread ad it sure looks good, so I am interested. You can Pm me the price if needs be. Thank you, Jarrell

101 - 120 of 253 Posts