Opel GT Forum banner

Any Interest in a CNC'd Transmission pan?

38K views 321 replies 39 participants last post by  opelspenner 
#1 ·
After fighting for too long to get my factory stamped pan flat and non-leaking I finally just decided to bite the bullet and design up my own aluminum one. Is there any interest in more? I have my first batch coming soon. It's made from 6061, shot-peened and hardcoat anodized aluminum. Guaranteed to be flat and compatible with standard gaskets. It is finned, has extra fluid capacity and is even pilot pointed for a drain plug or magnetic drain plug if you want. Pricing varies with qty's we get but it would be something like:

5: $175 + shipping (probably a flat-rate USPS box @$13
10: $150 + Shipping

Delivery would be EARLY January

Reply here for more info or PM me if you want to commit to one!

See less See more
#3 ·
I have some interest depending on final price

would Want 2 or 3 maybe

Reactions: Autoholic
#7 ·
That's a lot of CNC work for those prices.

If I were keeping the 4 speed, I'd pick one up.

Reactions: soybean (R.I.P.)
#12 ·
Since you’re still in the design stages, I’d recommend one change. Put the drain plug at the right rear corner of the pan. There’s a significant engine/tranny tilt rearward and sideways, so if you use a centrally located drain plug, you’ll leave a lot of gear oil behind.

Attachments

#13 ·
Finally got around to getting under the car and putting this on. I did drill-n-tap for a magnetic drain plug too. Everything fit great! I'll take a look at Bob's suggestion of moving the drain hole, at the very least I'll be able to move it back TOWARDS that corner, not sure i'll be able to get it on the corner like his. Trying to keep it to a 1" nominal plate thickness. I'll post a design update when I move it but it looks like I'll be able to move 10 of these. For those interested in buying one, would you want the hole pre drilled and tapped for a standard drain plug?

#14 ·
yes , then its ready to go on the car no extra effort to install

#20 · (Edited)
OK I made the few changes I wanted from my first one. Mostly minor details like adding chamfers and such but also the big one of moving the drain hole rearward and pre-tapping for m14x1.5.
The drain plug I recommend is:
Drain Plug

This plug happens to be the same as the oil pan, so order 2!

I will have final pricing hopefully this weekend but as of now we should be close to that 10 piece price. So far I have:
Name qty
Paul M ..... 1
nbrcrnchr ..... 1
opelnut 1 ..... 3
oliper ..... 2
knorm65 ..... 1
ejota ..... 1
Mikenotigan .....1
Autoholic.....1

Anyone else?

#26 ·
OK at least 10 are on order due in my hands ~26th. The total number is actually over 10 so I quickly asked the supplier for 2 more but we’ll see. We’re at the $150+ $13.65 shipping in a USPS flat rate box. Some of you have already PM’d me info, the rest please do at your convenience.

For payment I can accept PayPal, Venmo, and Apple Pay, or cashiers check. PM me with your preferred method. I’m excited for you all to get these! It looks and works really sharp. I probably should have had my name engraved in there or something on the inside so 40 years from now these would have become legendary...

#24 ·
Yep! The drain plug will save so much headache in the future. No more dumping oil out everywhere, losing the ball bearing for the reverse gear, etc

#27 ·
I sent you a PM with my info.

Once these are made, chances are this will be the only production run unless another group could be put together. Should anyone miss the chance to get one, let me know. I'll be putting a Getrag in my GT anyways, so I don't need the pan I ordered. I got it as a just in case / investment.

#29 ·
Still available?

I know I'm a little late to the party, but can I still get one?

Allen & Vickie Gage :cool:

Reactions: opelspenner
#36 ·
Thanks!

I Believe there is one with my name on it. Thank you for the offer.

Happy Opeling!

Allen :cool: