Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dave gave me a really good idea: The car I am going to look at is in Kansas City (I am in Iowa)... just wondered if any of y'all are from that immediate area? If so I wondered if anyone would be willing to look at the car with me? I know its a long-shot but thought it was worth a try! I'd even be happy to treat the person to dinner for thier kindness. :p

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
Sept?

I'll be back home in Vermillion, SD in Sept, which is slightly over 4 hours from KC. If you are still looking then, I'll be happy to kick some tires with you.

I do know of a couple of GT's back home that may or may not still be around. I'll do a little double checking for you.

If it makes a difference, I have 4-7 cars worth of engines, transmissions, axles, and other misc. parts in my father's barn. Shipping what you need from there to you would probably be next to nothing. I also know a couple of VERY good local import mechanics with fair ammounts of Opel experience.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow thank so much for your kindness. I am trying to get something set up on this particular opel for Sat Aug 3rd... I don't want it to sell before I get a chance to look it over. Finding Opels in our area (so far) has proven to be tough for me! I appreciate the heads up on the parts you'd be willing to sell. I will probably need all the help/connections I can get! :)

BTW, do you have any idea how much it would cost to reskin a cracked dash and front seats? That seems to be the only major thing wrong with the one I'm lookin at...

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
For dash re-covering, I recommend picking up a copy of Hemmings Motor News at you local magazine shop. Usually there are anywhere from 6-20 companies advertizing dash recovering. I had good luck with a company called Just Dashes, but there are several other companies just as good or better. Brace yourelf though, 'cause it can run anywhere from $200-$600 for the dash alone. Alternativle there are always the $69 "carpet" dash covers around. Some don't look TOO bad...

You will also find several companies in Hemmings with ads for the seats and carpet, but typically not for the GT in particular. Some of these companies will do the GT, but you'll have to do your homework. I usually do my own seats and carpet, but it is a time-consuming task and I seldome keep the seats "right" enough for things like car shows. ( I really like this new material you can get that is 100% synthetic and wears like iron, but you almost can't tell it apart from suede. Check it out at any good furnature store.) One local alternative for the seats is usually the shop that redoes boat canvas and seats. Almost every town has one, and they are always reasonable. Call around in the local yellow pages.

I'm sure others here have individual local shops to them they have gone through, and maybe one of them is close enough to you to help.

Again, good lock

1 - 4 of 4 Posts