Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a heck of a time reaching the right-most bolt of the passenger side defrost vent to secure it to the underside of the dash pad. Do I need to remove the glove box?

Also, there is a screw at the center of each vent... finding it difficult to get those in as well.

Any tips from someone that has gone through this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks..... Mark

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,534 Posts
On a GT, I presume. I don't recall a center bolt.

I just took some pics of a dash I have. Hey, there IS a center screw! Hoo-boy, you're going to have a hard time getting at the nut in question. Normally you fasten the vents to the dash before installing the dash. You MIGHT be able to get at it if the instrument panel is removed, but it will be tough. I see that it's 1" away from the glove box AND it's angled TOWARDS the glove box, so you can't just screw a nut straight on with an extender on a ratchet wrench, it has to go in at on angle in reference to the glove box. Yes, you could do it if you removed the glove box, 2 nuts hold it on, but removing the box will also be hard to do. You MIGHT be able to reach that bolt/stud if you removed the vent/duct on the right side of the dash, but that is also hard. Hopefully the pics will help you:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Trunk
Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design
Wood Chair Gas Tool Auto part
Automotive lighting Gas Circle Metal Fashion accessory

·
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the pics.

I have everything back out... I will try the technique of attaching the vents first then installing dash pad and see how that goes. I am attempting to use the original 2 1/2" ducting... pretty brittle... hoping it doesn't fall apart on me trying to hook it back up. I suppose I can replace that with some coiled wire heater vent type stuff if it does.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,534 Posts
The 2 1/2" is a standard size for car ducting and you can probably find some at an auto parts store or Ebay.

I put aftermarket heaters in my cars and they need a lot more hose and they come with hose similar to this type I found on Ebay. It's way more than you need, I couldn't find a smaller/cheaper length:

·
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So mounting the vents to the pad worked like a gem (kinda embarrassed I didn't consider that myself)... except I forgot to put the short duct in ahead of time for the passenger side defrost vent... and didn't realize until I had the pad back in and all but 1 screw back in. Was able to put a couple large pieces of gorilla duct tape in to get the opening mostly closed up... some day in the future, I, my son or a new owner will take the dash apart and have a "laugh"

• Haha
Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,534 Posts
It's crapp like this that is why I decided to make custom dashes for my cars. After 40 years of GTing, I was fed up with all the features and things you can't do or can't do easily because of the limitations of the original design.

·
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very surprised at how much air actually gets up to the passenger defroster vent with the duct missing... happy as a clam!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts