Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I am wondering if anyone else has had a problem getting the instrument panel fitted back in a dash that was redone by Just Dashes? I had the dash done years ago, and I am finally to the point of getting the instrument panel back in the dash. The top fits snug, which is OK, but the bottom just won't fit. It is especially noticeable in the area to the bottom right, next to the steering wheel. I can almost get it in place, but I can't get the bolt started that holds the bottom of the dash in place. I would have to seriously bend the bottom of the dash. The tight fit starts at the bottom of the drivers side panel and continues all the way to the steering wheel. I will try to post pictures so I can show exactly what I mean.

I am slowly taking some of the instrument panel edges down using a sanding drum on a foredom rotary tool (like a dremel, but much stronger). I have taken off about an eighth of an inch all the way around, and I will try to fit the panel in place tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I guess I will take some more off the panel. I don't want to do anything to the dash because of the cost involved.

What I am asking is, has anyone had this problem with a Just Dashes rebuild, or did I just get lucky? If you had this problem, how did you get the instrument panel in place?

Even if you haven't had this problem, can you think of anything that would be better than trimming the instrument panel? That's the only thing my limited experience says to do.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
Get your wife's hair dryer.

Lie to her if you have to, but don't tell her you are borrowing it to work on that darn Opel.

Heat the heck out of it, and Push.

Your welcome.

·
2,054 Posts
Often it's a matter of the retaining clips are in the way, preventing the panel from sliding in.

However, if your's is due to the refurbished panel being to big due to the work done in a shop .... sand away.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts