Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an automatic transmission rebuild kit out there? Also would like to get my hands on a new/rebuilt torque converter. I realize many trans shops can obtain such parts but would like to try this myself. The skill level of "mechanics" these days in my area don't impress me. Opel GT Source does not stock most auto trans parts anymore.

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Joe;
Below is a link to the people I got my last trans rebuild kit from. They're right down the road from me at work. I don't know about the converter, but, when you contact these people, tell them you have a GM TH180 trans. If you tell them "Opel" you'll get the standard "huh?"
HTH,
Gene

http://www.transtarindustries.com/locations/location_atlanta.asp

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did look at the link and they do have torqueconverters listed for Opel. Unfortunately they listed 2 different models. I didn't realize our th-180 transmissions had 2 different torque converters. Does anyone have a clue?

·
Registered
127 Posts
When yall say re-build kits, is it only stock stuff? I dont have an automatic(yet) but if they have shift kits and other components to build it i would be pretty interested. Also, if the Opel GT came with a GM TH-180, wouldnt they have possibly bolted that up behind more GM cars of that era? Could be more options as far as gettin your hands on a new opel trans.

·
Opel Adventure # 77 NC
648 Posts
Th180

The two listings for torque converter are probably for the 1.1l and 1.9l.
They are slightly different internally, and the 1.1l uses a smaller converter.
In the past I tried to find a shift kit and had no luck. Now I have a 1.1l w/ AT & 4.11 gears so don't really need a kit.
HTH
Kevin

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Transstar can in fact get rebuilt torque converters. If anyone needs one call them and ask for Jamie. He was extremely helpful.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts
I have a old kit setting on the shelf. Make me an offer. This one has all the little clutches, and everything.

Charles

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
The "kit" I got from them, while back mind you, had just about everything I needed. gaskets, clutch discs, bands, etc.
Gene

1 - 9 of 9 Posts