Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at Vintage Air's new Mini ll air/heat/defrost unit and was wondering if anyone ever tired using one of those units? They sure look small enough if you remove the existing heater...and work well in such a small space...and use something like one of those tiny Honda air conditioning compressors...

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,343 Posts
Not in a GT, but there's one in my Kadett C "Jägermeister" (click on my signature to look at the car).

It worked great, but soon after I've put it in I blew the engine. Still not put back on the road ... :sigh:

Dieter

·
Registered
669 Posts
I've been running one for about 10 years, but it requires dash modification.

·
Can Opeler
3,462 Posts
I have the kit from the link PJ posted. It works great. I bought the engine only kit and made my own hoses and did some work to make it work with my original dealer installed AC evaporator, expansion valve, blower, and controls.
I highly recommend the New Vintage Auto Kit, all the work for pulley sizing, fabrication of mounts, and placement has been done. Also the rear section riser and AC center console look really good and are excellent quality.
If you do AC be prepared to upgrade your radiator and make your cooling system perfect. It’s not easy to keep both you and your car cool.

Reactions: pumpkindriver

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,123 Posts
I have a Vintage Air heater in my GT. I recently bought a Wagon and I am looking into installing something called The Cube, which is an approximately 8" cube, with duct inlet/outlets, containing both the heat and AC radiator thingies. Then I plan on installing an electric compressor, so that I don't have any junk attached to the engine. I'll need powerful alternator.

·
Sick with Opelitus
1,374 Posts
I have a Vintage Air heater in my GT. I recently bought a Wagon and I am looking into installing something called The Cube, which is an approximately 8" cube, with duct inlet/outlets, containing both the heat and AC radiator thingies. Then I plan on installing an electric compressor, so that I don't have any junk attached to the engine. I'll need powerful alternator.
Gordon, do you have any info on the cube and electric compressor? The only thing I could find was for a house.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,123 Posts
This page has links to what they call the Cube:

https://www.vintageair.com/builder-series/

After acquiring that, I was looking into buying an automotive electric A/C pump, and the radiator thing. When I was initially looking into it all, I found a bunch of offerings to cobble all the parts together and I could have sworn I saw a set up that had the whole works with the cube, electric pump, etc. I think I started a thread on the subject that might have links to what I'd like to do. Vintage Air also sells an under dash A/C only gizmo.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How about mounting it where the old spare tire went ?

The defroster may not work so well...but it would do away with the old heater....and make me a great stash hole...I think I might do without a spare tire....and just use my AAA and a can of that spare air stuff.... I could mount a mondo air/heat machine....and REALLY be kool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts