Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped by the machine shop today, and we found we were missing the valve keepers for my '69 three-bearing cam head that is almost completely rebuilt. A phone call to Gil at OGTS confirmed my worst fear. He doesn't have any, nor can he get any, old style keepers. So it is either find a set of used keepers, or spring for a full set of newer-style valves (and the old-style valves are already ground and matched to a set of hardened inserts. ouch!). So, does anyone out there have a set of 16 keepers they are willing to sell? Here is a photo of what I think they look like (this is the old-style valve, and the only keeper in a bag-full that seemed to fit). The old keepers have the retaining ridge near the middle, while the newer style keeper has the ridge near the top.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Consider it done, I just took apart the 69 head here and I'll pull that set and send them up. I just found an Nos bag that may go along for the ride you might find a use for. Yes I have your address.

·
Super Moderator
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave. To the rescue again! SOMEDAY, I am darn well going to have to repay the multitude of favours...

Hmm, I seem to have misplaced that set of DCOE's and the matching Steinmetz manifolds. Oops, that was a different thread.

·
Super Moderator
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave Dave Dave,

TOO Generous! All I need are the keepers. REALLY! Man, you are too nice! But I already have two new sets of Chevy 2.8 V6 locking nuts (for both engines), and hardened washers, and a spare set of rocker washers. Aside from the keepers, I am "good to go". And now, even that is solved.

Now, if anyone has a set of 0.50 mm (0.020") under rod bearings (Gil is out of stock right now), I will have all I need. But I should be able to get that locally.

Hey, I have a question about valve guide seals, but I'll follow the "good housekeeping" rules for keeping threads on-topic, and start a new thread for that.

Thanks again.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I didn't cross the threads up but about did. The retainers you asked for and that I showed a pic of are off a 71 head. I was looking and the no seals and valves and keepers are still on the 69 head so these keepers are off a newer one. I don't mean to get anybody as confused as I am on this but which is early and later style for the keepers and did they cross or am I looking at something odd here?

·
Super Moderator
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I can't say for sure. The keeper with the ridge at the top (same as the "lone" keeper at the top of your photo) is DEFINITELY what came off my '71 head (I had placed them securely in a bag so I know), and they fit the valves with the top groove nearer the top of the valve stem. The "old" style keeper was described to me by Gil as having the ridge nearer the middle, to fit the Opel valve that has the top groove lower down the stem, which is what the keeper I found that fits the valve has. I checked, and the different style of keepers do NOT work on the other style valve. So maybe the valves were switched in the head that those keepers came from? But whatever, the keepers shown in your photo are what I need.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.