Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Opeler
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the curb weight stock of the GT with any degree of certainty?

As a poor boy (as many Opelers are, I think) I can't exactly afford fancy racing scales for my V6 Opel project, but I would like to have an idea of how much I am over class limits and distribution as I do my transplant. I was thinking of just constructing a lever with a 4-1 mechanical advantage on it that I could use to weigh the car at 4 points with bathroom scales. Anyone have experience that would say this is a good/bad idea for getting a general idea of what my weight and distribution is? I don't think I'll be shaving the car weight down to class minimum using this method (not that there is all that much you can legally do to a car to make it lighter in SM2 anyway).

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
the owners manual says 2112lbs curb weight. also it will max out the average bathroom scale, they are rated for 300lbs usually, so 1 opel on 4 of those = 528 lbs on each one which wont tell you the weight and it will most likely ruin the scales.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Public Weighbridge

Most truck yards have weighing facitites as do Scrap metal yards and perhaps rubbish dumps. A cop on the side of the road checking truck weights can be useful too as they use a portable individual wheel scale. Got to be something like that somewhere in Evansville ........

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Most recycling sites will have scales also, either the dump sites or a salvage yard. They pay or get paid by the pound. BTW, you may be surprised by the weight of the GT with a V-6/T-5 combo. HTH.

Ron

·
Opeler
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wasn't planning on weighing the car directly on the scale, but rather build a lever fulcrum to the inside, car sitting on a box steel support with centerline 3 inches from the fulcrum, and the bathroom scale at 15 inches from the fulcrum. (15-3)/3=4x mechanical advantage, so a 500lb weight would just read 125lbs. Of course, I doubt I would get it exactly right, but I'm sure that any crude lever could be calibrated with a correction formula being something like W = (scale measurement) *(4ish like factor TBD) + (constant weight of the lever apparatus). Of course, I quadruple the error in the bathroom scales, which I would guess to only be accurate to a pound or two, but I would know to within 5 or 10 pounds what weight I had at each wheel.

·
Opeler
12 Posts
Sporqster, thats alot better than my plan of using the scales before the bridges to Henderson. They seem to get crabby when you pull through there without a rig. But you might want to try some truck stops they have scales good to 20 pounds, and they can measure front and back axles to tell you distribution of weight. Bigfoot in henderson has scales and at 41 and 64 there are scales there for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.