Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found the attached picture and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what it might be. The lines are similar to a GT (especially around the doors and windshield). The website this came from says that these are from the Clarkston, Depot Park, 2001 sportscar show. The caption for this car states that it might be called an ETR, was raced at Sebring, and had "old Opel GT lights in the rear"

Any ideas on what it might be? Anyone else think that this could be a modified GT?

Attachments

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
That logo button on the nose would be a clue, but I can't tell what it is.

It does have the look of some of the older Jaguars, but then again, most of the European sports cars of this era, looked similar.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
maybe some of our euro friends could help out??? i'd also agree, really looks british, parts of it resemble our triumph.

·
Opeler
44 Posts
To my eye, it looks Italian. That actually fits with your comment about Triumphs Jared, since a lot of them were designed by Michellotti (sp?), including the GT6, which I think this bears more than a passing resemblance to.

It resembles some Intermeccanica designs from the mid-60's or so, but I can't seem to find one that matches exactly.

Check out www.carsfromitaly.com. They have pictures of all kinds of oddball Italian marquest than no one has ever heard of.

Andrew

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
greensmurf20 said:
maybe some of our euro friends could help out??? i'd also agree, really looks british, parts of it resemble our triumph.
It's French, a Bonnet Djet 4 GT from '61-'64, powered by 1108cc/95HP Gordini engine (optional) and won it's class in '62 and '63 at Le Mans 24 hour race.

Was sold to Matra in '64 due to financial difficulties.

:cool:

·
Driver
987 Posts

·
2,054 Posts
Whoever has the original photo - can you zoom in enough to read the placard behind the windshield?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Here I attached a picture of a Toyota 2000GT...Now I look at the picture it can't be. Maybe its just a mutt, Datsun/Opel GT....What the hell....

Attachments

·
Opeler
127 Posts
It's not a OPEL GT
It's a french car, a MATRA BONNET or MATRA JET. (+- 1965)
This car has a small engine (1.3 Liter), the main frame is a tubular one and the body is in Fiberglass.

I'm the owner of an OPEL GT and a MATRA MURENA, so I know the Matra story.

Regards

·
Registered
2 Posts
marc556 said:
It's not a OPEL GT
It's a french car, a MATRA BONNET or MATRA JET. (+- 1965)
This car has a small engine (1.3 Liter), the main frame is a tubular one and the body is in Fiberglass.

I'm the owner of an OPEL GT and a MATRA MURENA, so I know the Matra story.

Regards
Thank you very much for this information

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
Matra...a marque I haven't thought about in a long time....
Did the Bagheera (3 seater) ever come to the US market?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts