Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Opeler
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On January 16 I ordered an electric fan kit from TGSI. Maybe it was a mistake...sent 200 bucks by paypal, which has been "picked up", but no word from TGSI who, I believe, is Bob Dennard. The kit looked good, like it solved a lot of the problems mentioned with other fan kits. Of course it is always buyer beware on the net but it seemed like a legit site. I've emailed TGSI a few times with no response.
Any one out there had a good experience? If so, I'd like to know and maybe stop worrying about the money and be little more patient, though over 2 weeks seems like a long time.
thanks
oklaopel

·
Super Moderator
5,883 Posts
I believe I read that Bob Dennard has been having computer "issues". I can't vouch for him personally, but he doesn't strike me as being the kind of guy who would stiff you. So you might want to be patient. Or you might ask PayPal to contact him regarding the payment. Anyone else know how to get hold of him? Does he have a phone number? I don't see a number on his web site.

JM2CW

·
tomking
2,484 Posts
Well I for another am growing increasingly frustrated over the roller rocker deal that was supposed to happen last Fall with speed. Plus the excuse of having computer problems has been dragging on for months too. We see an occasional post from TGSI having to do with racing prowess but practically nothing else. I too have seen money months ago as have several others. There is a bunch of people that deserve to hear what is going on.

·
648 Posts
I can vouch for Bob and TGSI. I had him build the head for my 2.0 last year. Yes, it was slow....yes it was expensive...but yes, it's high quality work and man does it scream! It did take longer then I expected, but some of that was due to me sending him a cracked head and him haveing some valves back ordered. I only contacted him by e-mail, but he did call me several times to discuss things.

James
jmo

·
Opeler
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds like a bit of mixed bag. If some folks sent money months ago, and have nothing to show for it, that's bad. If you got your head done, and liked it, that's good. If I sent money and have nothing to show for it, that's bad. That is two bads to one good. That's bad. I think most Opel folks are right up front. Like Todd at Opels unlimited. It is not the speed or lack of bothers me, it is the not knowing. Usually when I get screwed I know it pretty soon after the screwing!
And, mind you, I'm not saying I've gotten screwed, I just wondered if other folks had a slow response. Todd at OU is notorious for that, but I've bought stuff from him too, and have been satisfied. I just hope the fan kit arrives some time in the near future.
oklaopel

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
I too am a satisified customer of TGSI (Bob Dennard). I bought a custom underdrive crank pulley, lightened flywheel and a set of precision cam bearings. The quality was Top Notch. The "Good Stuff" usually costs a little more. If I'm spending that kind of money, I'd rather wait longer to ensure perfect quality instead of rush a shipment of junk.

IMHO... Your milage may vary.

Paul

·
GT Owner
391 Posts
Any one out there had a good experience? If so, I'd like to know and maybe stop worrying about the money and be little more patient

Bob Dennard always has come through with the products I have ordered. I would not hesitate to do business with him.

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
Here are my two cents. I hate to speak poorly of anyone, and I will not discuss the status of my personal transactions.

I will say that the TGSI website is not being maintained. The phone number on the website is not in service.

I have verified that Bob Dennard took first place in the Southern California SCCA Regional Point standings in GT4 in an Opel.

OklaOpel has a good point, it would be nice to hear from him. Bob did say that he was going to have an update for everyone on the Roller Rocker deal in the middle of February...

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Last Year's Special

If I remember correctly the items TGSI has advertised on his web site are September, 2003 specials. May be he has to restock to be able to ship any more and is just waiting till a minimum number are ordered.

The man is a RACER with a huge dose of "Opelitus" so probably only resurfaces from time to time to run his business.

Patience may be needed when dealing with him - lots of it:D

There is little doubt that his stuff is good stuff.

If you cannot wait them down load the specs for the fan and do a web search or wander around your local radiator shops and car part suppliers - see; takes quite a bit of time!

·
tomking
2,484 Posts
I am part of the group buy on roller rockers and "patience" was covered when this thing got going. We were promised a speedy build and shipment. In the first couple of months there was plenty of communication about in what stage things were in. but since November sometime there has been virtually nothing. There is little excuse for that lack of communication. I want the roller rockers I was promised and have partially paid for.

·
Opeler
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Has anyone heard anything from TGSI recently? I've heard the phone is disconnected and the email is down, maybe he went out of business, though the website is still there. Seems mighty strange. Iguess I should have gotten a clue when I emailed to see if the posted Sept. 2003 prices were still good and got no response from that.
Has everyone who's paid him something gone through paypal? if so, can they do anything? I thought going through them offered some protection, but maybe that is just for ebay.

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
The last e-mail I received from him was on 12/31/03. I don't think that the e-mail is "down", or the messages would get bounced back. I get the impression that he is spending the winter away from home and that he will be returning in the middle of February.

Paypal does offer some protection but I think it is only for 30 or 60 days or something like that. After that Paypal will only attempt to contact and the seller and ask nicely that they carry through on their end of the deal.

From 12/24/03 post from Bob D

TGSI Racing said:
This is taking way longer then I ever figured… after all, it started out to be a reproduction of the Bob L. design with only minor improvements and a different approach for the lifters. I'm going to say that it is now looking like mid-Feb… it was only supposed to take 6 weeks to start with... and the way it has gone, I'm not confident in mid-Feb. So, I'll send a refund to any one who wants their deposit back. Just send me an email directly to [email protected]

·
Registered
857 Posts
i am waiting for my roller rocker from group order.
on earlier post he said that we have to wait longer
than he plan, and if someone needs refund, he was
going to return his deposit. personaly, yes, i do not
like to wait, i do not want refund, so i have to wait.
i need thoses rockers and more from bob. i like
my opels. i am opelholic!!!
pete

·
rust + magic = gold!
169 Posts
I too am wondering about the status of the TGSI roller rockers. I don't mind waiting for good custom-made parts, but it has been nearly 3 months without a status update.
I hope this doesn't turn out to be yet another 3-year roller rocker order! (or worse!)

·
Registered
521 Posts
I've ordered quite a few parts from Bob the last few months of 2003. Never really had a problem with him shipping stuff.

Radiator/fan kit

pulleys

both came with little problem.

I know the rocker deal is something different. He's not exactly a retail outlet or set up for mass production. Making custom parts takes a bit of time.

He'll pop his head into the group again soon with an update I'm sure.

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
I just wanted to let everyone know that Bob Dennard does exist. I ordered some parts a while back and after some back and forth and UPS problems and the holidays, I received my package today.

And boy does it look good!

ps. "big valves" means BIG VALVES!

Can't wait to tie this all up

·
Opeler
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is good news. If you got yours today (yesterday) then that means he is there and shipping stuff...recently. So we may all be happy campers in the near future!

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
Regarding the Roller Rockers, Bob did say that he wasn't expecting the next "articles" until Mid-February, so I would have to say that we should a wait a couple of weeks before we get too anxious.

Just to whet some appetites, I remind everyone to peek at the preview.

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=16717

edit: any of the mods care to tell me what I am doing wrong?

Mod Edit: When adding a link, use the http:// vBcode.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts