Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wonder if any of you has the trailer hitch and has actually pulled a trailer with your GT? The reason I ask is I have a trailer hitch on one of my parts cars and it's rated at 1000 LB. Trailer weight with a 100Lb. tonge weight. I have been researching on the new teardrop trailer craze that's coming back and they weight in at 780-900 lbs. with a 90lb. tonge wt. depending on the construction. Would be great for traveling to Opel meets.
Just have to buy a 2.2 from OGTS and bigger radiator and maybe put brakes on the Teardrop. :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
I haven't trailered with an Opel, but I pull a pop-up camper all over. Is that 780-900lbs the empty weight? Packing heavy for a long weekend might put you over the hitch capacity if you're not careful..... I've been amazed how quick the weight adds up for suitcases and stuff. and then if you want to bring back any swap meet parts.... :rolleyes:

·
1,227 Posts
I had a 71 kadett with a 1.1 that I pulled a trailer with. the trailer + 2 snowmobiles probably weighed about 1000 lbs. As near as I can remember (30 + years ago), it pulled it fine. I also hauled a 17' canoe around on a car top carrier from time to time. You just need to adjust your speed and following distance accordingly.

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your posts guys!!! :cool: Id hoped some of you out there had experience with this! I have an automatic and it's a 72 with Air, a rather rare bird she Opel Ann is! But with two 4 speed parts cars and one having the hitch, one begins to ponder...As for the photo you sent Kwilford, I agree who's pulling and/or dragging what? I think it was actually the box the opel was shipped here in!!! :rolleyes: I think some one was pulling a funny as the jack on the trailer toung is on the ground and you can see it's wheel in the picture! Cute photo however! ;)

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
well i saw a very high strenght or looked to be high strenth trailer hitch setup on an old 280z today wasnt pullin a trailer but looked like it could pull something atleast a 1000 pounds. im jus trying to figure how u would attach the hithc to the gt were it wouldnt screw up anything during hard breaking or accelartion.

·
Super Moderator
14,884 Posts
Years ago I used an automatic 1975 Sportwagon to haul a car trailer with a partially gutted 1974 Ascona (about 1200 lbs for the car) on it. Towed it fine, but naturally it accelerated slowly. Brakes were okay, but you just had to plan in advance....common sense stuff.

Bob

·
Code Goober
243 Posts
You should always keep in mind that almost any vehicle is capable of towing - you might not be able to go as fast as you want, but they'll tow just fine. The problem that you will run into (no pun intended), is that not every vehicle can stop while towing. Certainly somthing to think about, especially if you're planning on towing a trailer that doesn't have any brakes.
There are trailers out there that are set up with a master cylinder in the tongue linkage for hydraulic brakes (instead of the more common electric). These would be good as you wouldn't need to get a brake controller box installed in your car.
Be careful.

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I totally agree with the posts here & am Greatfull!

Agree and am greatfull for the impute!!! I was thinking the same thing Geek as you that a tonge type brake would be the best assist in stoping, have rented many a trailer with this and it seems to work rather well! Also agree, one never has enough power as he would like towing, unless it's a turbo deasil; or big block he can't afford to feed nowdays anyway! :eek:

·
Driver
987 Posts
Found this site of trailers. http://www.teardroptrailersexpress.com/
The Delux only weights 660 lbs!
They have one that can be pulled behind a motorcycle too that weights 460 lbs with a 35 lb tongue weight. Sleeps two.
I like the tailgater. It has the plumbing to hook up a pony keg and a propane grill. My GT could finally have a bigger trunk than any Manta. :p

Attachments

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Kind of a funny concept for towing would be to have a Turbo wagon with hitch and upgraded brakes to tow the 2.0 GT. Don't laugh it could really happen.

·
Senior Contributor
695 Posts
Remember the old commercials back in the late 60's the Kadett wagon was pulling an ELEPHANT down the road in a trailer during a parade. Just goes to show that the Opel was born to pull. :)

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Rule of Thumb

Towing regulations here are simple:
1) Total weight of towed load may not exceed the weight of the towing vehicle.
2) Any towed load over half the weight of the towing vehicle MUST have brakes fitted and working.
Of course there is always someone who tries to tow a 20ft boat with a Mini!

·
47 Posts
The only thing I would tow with my GT would be another Opel GT that I bought, so I could start on a new project! :D

Texas Killer GT, you are probably refering to an add like this? All I had was a magazine ad, no tv spot...

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.