Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I'm considering buying a GT as a second car (my wife drives the family sedan). I used to have an old 72 Kadett, so the Opel brand brings back fond memories.

I have always loved the look of the GT, I think it is one of the best looking cars ever and it would be a pleasure to own one.

The complication is that I do not have the space & money to have one to go on a trip every time the sun shines on a Sunday, i.e. I need a decent, reliable car which can also be used for commuting 15 minutes every day.

Would you consider the GT a high maintenance vehicle (relative to a 72 Kadett for instance). Is the reliability such that you can trust it for every day use. Would it be insane for a non-mechanic to own and expect to drive one without too much hassle (I'm not completely blank when it comes to car mechanics, I know how to change the oil, spark plugs etc, but replacing engines etc. is beyond my ambitions)

I should add that I'm thinking of spending $5-6000 to get a decent vehicle.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Regards
Helge

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you have basic tune-up skills and buy a clean and maintained GT it will be fine. Just dont expect it to be any more reliable than other 30something year old cars. Mine was perfectly reliable, just a little low on compression in cyl 3, and needed the torque tube donut replaced. If you have a mechanic friend it isn't too hard to work on them.

So, if it is clean and maintained go for it, if it needs work you will probably be better off waiting.

Dan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts