Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these cars really that fun to drive?

Hello all of you out there in Opel land! I've got two GT's both dont run, but are fairly complete. I have never had the opportunity to even ride in an Opel Gt, a Manta once and it was fast. Anyway I bought my two (only wanted the one) but the guy selling said the pair or none. So now I have two a 70 and a 72 and have both for sale on Ebay, as I've lost the desire to restore one from the two......

Are they really that fun to drive??? Or is it just because they look like a Vette that you guys are into them? I liked em because they looked like a Vette, but then I was about 16 when they were first being sold.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
O'Yes it is fun to drive

:D Are you kidding, they are the most fun to drive on twisty turning roads that can be allowed. When the car is in proper repair they will go were you tell it very quickly.

It is one of the most fun I have had with my clothes on ;)

Rick

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input!

Wasn't kidding, never ever had the chance to ride in one let alone drive one!
Have however driven and owned a 1974 Mercury Capri with a 2.8 V6 and it was a kick in the pants....more fun than the 1970 Karminn Ghia I drove for 7 yrs.

Rick

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
The 1974 Mercury Capri is set up higher than the GT. You will be closer to the road and feel the speed more than in the 1974 Mercury Capri. The GT is a lot lighter than the Capri and will hold the road a whole lot better!!

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
its a blast!!!!

I'm only 15 now, but i have my white slip, and i got to drive my Gt home with basically no brakes to speak of... but it was a blast, except the braking because that part was scary. and its fun to own too, because people will look at you in it and wonder what the heck it is. you will get a lot of good comments on a Gt.

P.S. the opel gt body style was out before the vette......I think,am i wrong guys???

·
Opeling since 1991!
313 Posts
I also had a 1974 Mercury Capri as my first car. It was fun for the $50 I paid for it back in 1986. And I foudn out aobut all the modifications that can be done after the car was gone.

As for the Opels... I have both a GT and a Manta. Back when I bought my GT in about 1990-1991, it was really fun to drive and I finally was able to purchase the car I always admired. The looks it got were great and the ride was excellent for being such an (cough) outdated car. I still own that GT and I am about to parts it out rather than restore it I think.

Now on to the Manta, I have always admired the Manta from a distance and was only able to really drive one about 7 years ago. It was definately MORE enjoyable to me than the GT. Now I have had my Manta for 1 year and love every bit of it when I have the opportunity to drive it. The repairs and upgrades are going ever so slow, but that is what makes it fun. Especially when you are unemployed. :) (no worries)

It satisfies me to know that I drive and love something that few people have in a very long distance from my city. Plus I like the people taking double takes just to look at the car again. The GT even more-so.

I will eventually purchase another GT just to have one of each. Then maybe one of each of the other models once I have a large storage facility. (mega millions lotto is 270million!)

Good luck with your decision. Make sure you read up on these forums of what you can and cannot do to these cars.

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The GT is fun to drive, my Sterling still my favorite!

benncojr said:
:D Are you kidding, they are the most fun to drive on twisty turning roads that can be allowed. When the car is in proper repair they will go were you tell it very quickly.

It is one of the most fun I have had with my clothes on ;)

Rick
Well since I've bought a stock 72 GT with an automatic and stock engine with the dished pistons. Drive better now with a 4 into 1 header and Weber 32/36 Carb, going to put 75 Manta fuel injection on it once I've got all the parts in hand. Suppose it would be a lot better with a 4 speed and some sway bars, but even then I think my Sterling would still run away from a GT!
The low center of gravity front and rear sway bars and power to weight ratio with 1835cc and dual 40mm Webers is a hard package to beat! The roof of the car is only 3 feet off the ground and handles like a high speed go cart, I've yet to get a tire to break loose in a corner. :D

So this is the most fun I've had with my clothes on do date!

www.sterlingcentral.com

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,405 Posts
Willy_g77 said:
P.S. the opel gt body style was out before the vette......I think,am i wrong guys???
You are right. Design on the GT started 1962. The GT prototype was shown on the 1965 auto show (IAA) in Frankfurt, when the current Corvette still had it's "old" look on the streets.
Dieter

·
Registered
97 Posts
Fun??

I cant speek for the Manta but the GT is a blast. Bought my first one new in 1973 , my second in 2003 and nothing inbetween was as fun. Faster, O`yah but not even close on a twisty piece of road. Nothing quite like hitting a curve at twice or more the marked speed, and seeing the panic in your passengers face as you go around the curve in your own lane and not squeel a tire. FUN or SCARY? (depends on whos got the steering wheel )
Since Its my GT, I drive, and that makes it FUN FUN FUN. If you dont like it, buy your own or dont get in the passengers seat.
Duane

·
335 Posts
I too bought my GT having never driven one before. I owned a kadett when I was in High school and couldn't afford a GT. About a year ago I bought my first GT and set about fixing it up. I had to completely rebuild the front end before I could even try to drive it. It was all worth the effort!! :D Since rebuilding the front end I added sway bars front and rear, lowered the suspension 2 inches, replaced most of the bushings and ball joints, and added a killer stereo. For dependablity I added a 65 amp alternator, weber carb and electronic ignition. The results are a great looking little car capable of time travel... that's right time travel. I strap it on crank up the stereo, find a winding road and I'm 18 again instead of 49.

Try it.... you'll love it.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Washout said:
The results are a great looking little car capable of time travel... that's right time travel. I strap it on crank up the stereo, find a winding road and I'm 18 again instead of 49.
Try it.... you'll love it.
Very well put. A little Hendrix, Foghat, Quicksilver. You're exactly right Washout, it's time travel. :cool: Jarrell

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Jarrell;
The best "driving" music, I have found, is the Doobie Brothers "Steamerlane Breakdown" Check it out!!!!

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I fear were are moving off topic, but one song, a quickie that comes to mind from your area Gene, is "Hotlanta". Loved it the first time I heard it in Macon. I think we are telling our ages Gene. :D Jarrell

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I agree driving the GT is like a time warp, in overdrive. And Bob Seger, roll me away, AC DC, who made who? Or maybe renegade?, na I listen to the motor and maybe Steely Dan or Patsy Cline.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
O.K., my turn. Fun to drive, oh yeh! Here's the tale: Just put new shocks in my 71GT, wanted to check them out on a twisty turny, 6% grade, 17 miles down hill from 4000+ feet to sea-level. Had the X in the car, Bob Seger in the tape deck and just started the downhill run. X said there was CHP convention on the other side of the freeway. No way would they come across after me, and I stood on it! Just like a slot car! No drifting, no sliding, no screeching of tires, pure fun. 5 miles after the bottom of the hill, there's a red lite in my mirrors. I pulled over, and the CHP Officer wants to know if I knew how fast I was going. I told him I was more intent on the road than my speedo. He said he was doing 110 and couldn't catch me, wants to know what's under the hood. I pop the top and show him. He mutters a few experlatives and shakes his head, then asks how fast will it really go. I told him it would reach all the numbers on the tach and speedo, did it one time. He hands me a speeding ticket for doing 70 in a 65 zone. That little episode cost me a whole $46 but was worth every penny. BTW the CHP Officer was driving a brand new, at the time, heavily modified, Boss 302 Pursuit Mustang.

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
Driving the GT is indeed fun and as stated before, it is a time warp ride. I take mine out and put in the "Supertramp, Breakfast in America" tape in and cruise(circa. 1979). If Radar Love comes on, I can't be responsible for the speed of the car. :p

Other cars are fun, I drove my brothers WRX wagon in the snow and it was fun, but the lines of the GT are classic :) and you can't resist trying the handle out for the headlights and saying "wow, that was cool".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts