Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
opel snob
156 Posts
I've always wondered:
Why is it people seem to think Opel parts are *so* hard to come by? Damn, I can buy just about *anything* I need to keep my cars running at any chain-auto-parts store. It's always been that way, and seemingly hasn't changed. Maybe you just have to know what you're looking for, and not come across as a ......... Key is to know MORE than that parts-monkey. It's not rocket science. Give me *any* engine related part, Or brakes, (not including cast parts, block/head/crank) and I can get them @ one of the 3 big parts stores. AND, in my experience, the Opel 1.9 is way more reliable than anything else out there.. and much simpler to work on.
But..
To each his own...
-LLG

(play nice folks ....baz)

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Yes Dave parts for Opels are easy. Plentiful enough I can turn over a whole motor to my daughter to put together.

·
195 Posts
The opel community has been really good to me as far as getting parts to put my 72 Gt in great reliable running order. The 1.9 is one of the easiest motors to maintain when a pentronix ignition system and a weber carb is installed. I have myself considered a Japanese transplant and it caused quite a stir on the site. Definitely stay 1.9 Opel!!!

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts
LeftLaneGuy said:
I've always wondered:
Why is it people seem to think Opel parts are *so* hard to come by? Damn, I can buy just about *anything* I need to keep my cars running at any chain-auto-parts store. It's always been that way, and seemingly hasn't changed. Maybe you just have to know what you're looking for, and not come across as a ......... Key is to know MORE than that parts-monkey. It's not rocket science. Give me *any* engine related part, Or brakes, (not including cast parts, block/head/crank) and I can get them @ one of the 3 big parts stores. AND, in my experience, the Opel 1.9 is way more reliable than anything else out there.. and much simpler to work on.
But..
To each his own...
-LLG

(play nice folks ....baz)

Actually, that was true 2-3 years ago.. when I started GoinManta. But with each passing day it got harder and harder. It got so bad on an average order I would have 30-50% of the order be put on permanent backorder. With Autospecaility going out of business as well, that dries up another 30% of parts. Its not going to get better either. This was reason #1 for getting out of the parts business, #2 was the Euro. So it left me to just handle rare and hard to get parts.

Gaskets are available, and some basic parts. But a lot of important things are not (Bearings, lifters, etc..). Now you can still get all the stuff at Opel GT Source and other parts sources. THe difference here is I am doing a car fora 16 year old to daily drive for a few years and probably into college where I will not be araound to help source parts.

Thats why I am looking at swapping motors and trans into my sons Manta. It doesnt help he needs a new tranny (The 4 speed is unreliable syncros go out a LOT) and it really needs a 5 speed anyway. Add to that getting more than 125 out of a Opel motor requires a lot of money and machine work. Then there is the A/C issue, the A/C systems in the Opels were huge and those big frigidaire untis don't take well to the new Refrigerants, although they work they lose a lot of capacity.

So..... That brings me to why I posted anyway.

In my search for a Suzuki Swift/Sidekick, Geo Tracker. I came across a 240SX drivetrain, complete with harness and computer, and A/C etc... etc.. for $200. It ran when pulled from the car. Needs new rings, bearings and gaskets, which is easy enough to do.

So instead of doing a Suzuki transplant maybe doing the 240SX in the Manta. Once I researched it I was very impressed.

1993 Nissan 240SX SE
Curb wgt: 2771 ( Opel GT : 2105 / Manta : 2232 )

0-60 = 8.4
1/4 mile = 16.3

2.4L - DOHC 16V I4
Horsepower 155 @ 5600 RPM
Torque (lb-ft) 156 @ 4400 RPM
City (mpg) 21 - 22
Highway (mpg) 26 - 28

Tires: 195/60r15 (4.2% larger)

Gear ratios: 3.321 / 1.902 / 1.308 / 1.000 / 0.759
Final Gear Ratio: 4.083

'74 Opel Manta
Gear Ratios: 3.428 / 2.156 / 1.366 / 1.00
Final Gear Ratio: 3.44

Could someone do the math and figure out the ratio differences/ Seems to me it would improve gas mileage.

So with this motor like with the Suzuki setup, should lighten the car overall (The 2.4L drivetrain is all AL), give more power and great gas mileage.

Let you know, since at $200 I can't turn this package down...

Will post dimensional data and such as I do the conversion.

Charles

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Dave, I'm sorry but both CSK and Autozone use the same database and they show no difference in 72 or 75 brakes. I brought in some rotors and found out the hard way. It's the same for the calipers and rear wheel cylinders. Sorry, on this I'd like nothing better than to be proven wrong.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
its really not hard at all to keep a opel a daily driver using all stock parts at all, (with exception of that god forbidden solex). all the ignition parts are VW. if the retart at the parts counter says "no cap/rotor for opel" just tell them VW bug with 1600 DualPort engine. same thing, honestly. thats just part of "being smarter than the dummy at autozone" to keep them going everyday, just take the time to check them over now and then and fix stuff BEFORE it breaks, instead of waiting for it to go out, cuz it'll surely do it when you need it least. belts and stuff are so universal, flex hose works in a pinch until right hoses can be had. these are simple cars with minimal to go wrong, just keep them maintained well and check them over now and then, and almost never will you be stranded, watch those guages, they're your lifelines.

only been stranded once in the GT, hit a rabbit and it ripped the fuel line off the crossmember and wasnt getting gas to the carb, didnt have tools with me to fix or i woudlnt have been stranded. manta left me stranded once too but knew it was going to happen before it did, but had to try and get to work anyway. threw not one, but TWO connecting rods. ran her a mile with 1 broken one tho :D but she locked up on me when the 2nd one let go.

·
Super Moderator
5,920 Posts
This was an interesting set of posts. They just don't belong in a thread about engine swaps. To keep the comments here alive, I have split them off to their own thread. More comments about challenges in obtaining Opel parts are welcome. Just not in the Engine Swap Forum...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts