Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I had a dollar for every time..................

Just yesterday, someone once again uttered those 2 words and before I knew it, I said "It sucks to grow up, doesn't it".

·
Super Moderator
13,844 Posts
Seems to me you'll be poorer after buying a 'vette than after buying a GT.....:)

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
My personal reference is "Mini-Vette", but then I'm a smallish person and I feel right at home in my GT, size wise. But then I'm comfortable in our 38 foot motorhome too.:D

Ron

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
i have my buddys calling it a hot rod for some reason there like sweet hot rod man and im jus like yah whatever, or there like sweet corvette and im like dude its an opel and there like
"a what??"

·
Registered
23 Posts
NO

that is the way to explain it. usually people have no clue on what the heck it is. I had to explain it to some guys at the autoparts stores when i was looking for parts, which didnt work.
"What in the hell is and O-pell?"
I told the guy the whole story and he still had no clue. A guy at a Buick dealership told me to dump the SOB, and another wanted to buy it off me for 750. Truth to the caviar signature. Love 'em or hate 'em.

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
I really don't let it bother me, because, if it makes them think enough to want to call it a "poor man's Vette", or "Baby Vette", or as I have on my prestige tag "Vett JR", that means they want one and I have one. That my friends is envy and jealousy:D :D

·
Opel Junkie
113 Posts
some guy once asked me if a corvette took a dump, is the gt what was left behind?

man, what a clod!

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Here is what I say.....

Poor mans Vette: "actually, if you restore both of them from the same condition, the Opel will cost more to restore"

Even if that isnt true, since they don't know jack, they belive it and shut up.

Baby Vette: I say " Actually, the vette is a big Opel, as the same person designed both and the Opel was first.'

Again, even if this isnt true, they don't know it and it shuts them up.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Steel Vette!

While my GT was in the panel shop a visitor asked if it was a Corvette.

It was pointed out that Vettes' were made of fibreglass and the GT was steel.

"Gee! You have had them make you a steel Corvette!"

Didn't have the heart to launch into lengthy explainations till he continued: .."but it is too small!"

He was amazed when the full story was revealed.

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
My personal peeve is the fiberglass references. This weekend at the gas station a @#%$& stumbled by and boomed at me "Is this thing 'glass too?"

"Nope, Carbon Fiber"

The image of the reaction on his face is one that will never leave my mind. Actually the only thing that pisses me off more than the 'glass questions is people telling me I should stuff a small block V8 in it. I would like to offer them a ride to show them it really doesn't need a V8, but I normally force myself to respond with "That's not my style".

Of course if the GT wasn't so unique and everybody knew what it was (a la '65 Mustang), then I wouldn't have bought it. So if the price I have to pay for originality is dumb questions from the unknowing, then I guess that is the burden that I have to bear... that we all have to bear...

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
How about this one........

Anyone get the question........ "What is that an old "Z"?

I've had that one a couple of times from my neighbors that come down and see me tinkering on it in the garage.

"No, it's an Opel GT"

"Opel? Who makes that?"

"Opel makes it. It's German."

"oh, never heard of it."

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Ya know, it just amazes me. These are such neat litte cars and for the most part there are TONS of them just rotting away in fields like that one. I don't get it. I just don't get it.

·
273 Posts
Glad this thread got started; I had always considered doing it.

When people say,"we used to call this a baby-Vett." I'd like to say (besides you're an idiot) is "boy, I never heard that before--THIS week."

I always appreciate the truly curious inquiries,though. And there are MORE of them that the lame-brain version.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Last Spring at our local classic car show, a man came over with his son and proceeded to tell him and me about back when he was in high school, he had a car just like mine. He proceeded to tell about out running the law and all the rubber it would leave and how GREAT the back area was for carring stuff.
So I asked him what year his Opel was? His reply was " Opel? I thought this was a Datsun"
DOOHHHH???

·
Opel gone bad
108 Posts
I tell them that it was the worlds first vette

Now didn't the guy who designed the Corvette ( the body style similar to an opel ) work for OPEL/BUICK and then move his design to the highest bidder?

I tell everyone that my opel is a vette - the FIRST VETTE!!!

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just now, the cable guy came over to fix my cable. He saw my car and asked what year it is. When I told him 1970, he said, "I didn't know Corvettes were that small back then."

I almost didn't want to get into the whole thing again. But I told him it is an Opel. "Who makes Opel?" Here we go again.

But I actually wouldn't have it any other way. :)

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
HA HA HA this is so funny. I had a guy come over today too to appraise my house for a refi. I liked his comments the best. It was simply...

APPR: "What the hell is that?"

ME "Its an Opel GT"

APPR: "What year is it?"

ME: "1971"

APPR: "Hmph! Cool."

1 - 20 of 59 Posts