Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
I'm sitting here laughing, thinking back to the 70's and reading MAD magazine. The section that comes to mind is the snappy answers to stupid questions.

How about:

Remark: I didn't realize they made Corvette's that small.
Comeback: It was due to the gas crunch. Carter was talking about an energy bill that prompted Chevy to reduce the size of their sports car for a year or two.

Or.
Remark: We use to call those Mini-Vettes.
ComeBack: Oh! you were a Shriner? I remember the parades they used those in.

Or.

Remark: What kind of car is that?
Comeback: It was a special one up car that was made for one of the Fast and Furious movies or something like that. I just happened upon it for a great deal.

more in the next issue

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
one of the most envied cars in town

Only two people knew of what an opel gt was when i bought it. My town is of only about 3,000 people. ALL my friends envy it, and my enemies. it puts a great feeling in you to know people's mouths will drop when they see your car.yes there are classic vetts, mustangs, and such but every body knows what they are.
I have had people come look at it when it was out of the garage and ask me is that an old expensive import or a vette. I just can't wait to see their faces when i get a body kit.:D

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Recognition

Strangely enough numerous people recognise and know what my GT is - even though it is the only one in town!

The panel shop just about had to begin charging admission while it was there.

Now it is home again I am seriously considering geting a personalised number plate .. "NO SALE"

I have been offered a "real" Corvette (too common!); a late model 5-serries BMW (anyone can get one of those!); a 450 SEL Mercedes (nasty windy things!) and Twice as much as the panel work cost (cheap skate!)..... so far NO SALE!

Begin to understand why my ancestors "shuffled off" by having their bodies burnt in their ships:rolleyes:

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
i always tell my buddys i bet if i put corvette eblems on my car and showed up at some import ricer car show they would all think its a corvette and there like yah i bet they would. but i like the opel emblems better so ive never tried it.

·
Opeler
38 Posts
Ghetto Vette

Being in the Air Force I have heard my car called many names, but the one that sticks out in my head was "Ghetto Vette" I guess down south if you couldn't afford a vette, then you got the next best thing an OPEL GT! I just like the idea that when you do see a GT they definetly turn heads! and even better when your driving her!

Hopefully I will have mine running by spring!!

·
Opel Junkie
113 Posts
i drove my gt to work today, and a couple of guys from across the airport were driving circles around the car - literally. i went out and asked if i could help them. they said they were just checking out the car. they had never seen anything like it, they told me. then they asked if it's - now get this - a FERRARI!!

i told them them yes, it is in fact a ferrari, one of only three ever made (i borrowed someone elses line off of this thread).

after a minute or two, i told them what it really was, and they looked at me and said "a what?" they had never heard of opel before. aaah, to be young and ignorant again!

btw, i posted a few pics of my car in the members photos area if anyone is interested.

mike

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
Great Thread. I had mine in a local 4th of July parade and I heard someone say to their kid, Look, that is an Opel Kadette!! At least they got the manufacturer correct.

·
273 Posts
I was coming out of the Post Office today and a guy said, "Hey, an Opel GT, I haven't seen one of those in years." That's ONE

THEN--SAME day I got stopped at the RR crossing and a pedestrian leaned over and said, "What year is your Opel GT?". That was TWO correct hits in one day.

We are making headway!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
R U sick of BABBY VETTE references

Get this! I was driving my GT(rough,with bondo and primer) the other day, and some guy in a$80000 BMW was craning his neck and nearly ran out of the road trying to figure out what it was. He finally stops at the gas station when I do just to ask me about it.His last comment was "Damn, thats cool! I think I'll try to find me one."

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
jlthunder said:
Great Thread. I had mine in a local 4th of July parade and I heard someone say to their kid, Look, that is an Opel Kadette!! At least they got the manufacturer correct.
I got a similar "outcry" in MONTEREY of all places. This was during the Monterey Historic Races Weekend in August. THE BIG CAR SHOW. And I joined in the Lighthouse Rally. If you've never done this, you should. It starts off as a car show on Lighthouse Ave. Hundreds and hundreds of cars of all description filling the street.

Then at 6PM we start the rally. We parade around to the announcer's podium where a comment/description is made about the car. As I came up, he said "And here's the wildest Opel Kadette I've ever seen.". I just smiled and waved.

This rally meanders right along the California coast thru Carmel, Pacific Grove, and Pebble Beach. And all along the rally, people are waving and cheering. And you can see at parts of the coast the long line of the coolest cars for miles.

One year, I saw the Batmobile Opel GT!

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
Have you ever seen a Fed-Ex truck almost flip over?

I did today as I was leaving work. The driver of the truck jacked the brakes and whipped it around, pulling up next to me. He hops out and asks "Is that what I think it is?" I kindly replied "Depends on what you think it is"

"I wanna say it's an Opel, but I don't remember any that looked like this". I found this particularly amusing, as my car has been de-badged... okay I took the emblems off to prep for a paint job that never happened. I mused how he was able to recognize this as an Opel, without seeing any emblems, and simultaneously admitting to never seeing one like it before. Regardless, I said "Your right, it's a '73 GT"

"Yeah, but who made it?"

·
self admitted opel addict
227 Posts
The opel Gt I have been restoring cost me a LOT more than when I did a vette. I sold the Vette. Never even missed it. NOTHING could part me and my opel GT though!!
I think if more people were familiar with Opels they would sell for a higher dollar. Their value would be appreciated and I am not just talking monetary. Vettes are a mind trip...people want them because they PERCEIVE it as being cool. Those of us with Opels don't have time for the mind trips as we are too busy road tripping and knowing our cars are COOL!
Those who talk about a poor mans vette or mini vette are usually looking at my car with a lustful gleam and have NO idea what they are talking about so I don't give it/them the time of.....
I am glad we all have a car that is rare and that stuns the world. Not much fun having what everyone else has....:cool:

·
335 Posts
I just stumbled across this thread and really liked it, I bought my GT about 8 months ago and have been driving it quite a bit lately. I too get tired of the dumb questions and references to "poor man's vette" BUT, I doubt many people pull up to a vette at the traffic light and feel compelled to roll down their window and say, "man, you don't see many of those anymore, that is really cool". That happened twice to me last week. In a parking lot, as I drove by some guy hollered " you want to sell that?". Truly, we are a niche market.
I took my wife for our first cruise-in last weekend and she couldn't believe how people stared at the car. She had to laugh at guys who actually stopped walking down the sidewalk to stare. Try to get that with a vette!

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
For all those people who make stupid questions: "It's paid for, gets more comments than yours, about the same gas milage without the $1500 computer crap and it as older as you are".
Hmm... better yet: "I washed it too long in the autowash. Here's your sign."
:D

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I think the whole GT/vette relationship (not) is just hilarious. It brings up interesting talk every time. Just about everybody in my age bracket recognizes the GT but doesn't remember the name, so "baby vette" works for me. At the race track several people have commented things like "so fiberglass cars can race here now" to which I just say "not that I know of" and leave it at that. Funny how the basic shape of a car causes such stupid stereotyping! Some of the comments you guys report are just too funny, I wouldn't ever get sick of good humor...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Here's my latest

While backing out of a parking space at "Wherehouse Music," on my hunt for a Queen Adreena CD, I hear, "Wow. What a pretty Lotus!"

I turn my head, about to politely correct the person when, WHAM! I am stunned speechless.

From my very low vantage point, low and behold a blonde hottie, bent over smiling at me (complete with a "Lifeguard" swimsuit top and shorts!).

All I could muster was, "Would you like a ride???"

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
More fromthe Panel Shop

Just before my GT was prep-coated and all the joins in the new sheet metal could be still seen a local officionado asked me if it was a Vette - I tapped the front fender and said: "Steel - not "plastic". He turned and said to his buddy: "Gee! This shop has made him a complete replica steel Corvette"
The shop owner and I just looked at each other and smiled - it probably would have been cheaper. :D

·
Driver
987 Posts
I had my '75 Sportwagon out last night. Met with a group of friends for some beer. Was showing them my car when one of them says. "Opel, gee, there's a company that just vanished."
I explained to him that Opel is alive and well.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I live in a tiny little town well known for being a hot spot of very old American cars. To see old beauties roaming the streets is common place here. It makes my GT stick out even more. When I drive it around town people just stop and stare. I can still see them in the mirrors not speaking or moving. In this little town it really sticks out as some kind of exotic. I haven't overheard any comments so far but most people seem a bit in shock as it goes by. Ok on the stare factor it gets an 11 out of a 1 to 10 rating.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
That reference to the "poor man's vette" has kind of irritated me. Somehow it has popped into my head a few times. Let me say this. I like vettes, had a 73 once just because I had to have one. I sold it to the first person who offered me what I had in it within six months. I never have needed one since. AND I have a lot more money invested in Speedway GT than I had in that dumb plastic car!!

21 - 40 of 59 Posts