Opel GT Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
rust + magic = gold!
169 Posts
mjewell said:
i told them them yes, it is in fact a ferrari, one of only three ever made (i borrowed someone elses line off of this thread). ...
If I had to choose, I'd rather my GT be mistaken for an older ferrari than a corvette. What modifications can be made to a GT, that would keep the guessers wondering longer before they think "baby-vette"?
Maybe if the GT was painted ferrari red, it might seem like a crisp-looking old ferrari 250?

·
2,054 Posts
Re: R U sick of "BABY VETTE" references?

72GT said:
If I had to choose, I'd rather my GT be mistaken for an older ferrari than a corvette. What modifications can be made to a GT

Want it to look more like a Farrari? Put a red-headed countess in the passenger seat. Yikes!

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·

free4u2nv said:
The opel Gt I have been restoring cost me a LOT more than when I did a vette. I sold the Vette. Never even missed it. NOTHING could part me and my opel GT though!!
I think if more people were familiar with Opels they would sell for a higher dollar. Their value would be appreciated and I am not just talking monetary. Vettes are a mind trip...people want them because they PERCEIVE it as being cool. Those of us with Opels don't have time for the mind trips as we are too busy road tripping and knowing our cars are COOL!
Those who talk about a poor mans vette or mini vette are usually looking at my car with a lustful gleam and have NO idea what they are talking about so I don't give it/them the time of.....
I am glad we all have a car that is rare and that stuns the world. Not much fun having what everyone else has....:cool:

Very well said!!! I'm surprised how enjoyable this thread has turned out. I love reading about all of your experiences. I'm amazed everyday at the effect the GT has on everyone. Young or old, male or female, it's universal. One day at a stop, I was sandwiched by questions and positive comments. On the one side, an elderly gentleman. On the other, a couple of teenage boys. I've had the "FAST AND FURIOUS" crowd race thru traffic to ask about the GT and then give an approving nod.

My girlfriend is starting to become aware of the celebrity status that the GT brings. She gets a kick out of the attention. I like the GT just because.

Maybe it's the GT's diminutive size that makes it so approachable. I don't get nearly as much comments in the Dino. Or maybe Ferrari owners are stereotyped as stuck up and unapproachable.

As for the Ferrari resemblance, a Dino owner of my acquaintance approached me and asked, "WHAT is that you are driving? It reminds me of my Dino."

:)

·
BuckShot Bill
5 Posts

Last weekend the Hooters Pro Cup Series was at our local race track to run a 250 lap event. This event was on Friday evening and they were at the track all day setting up and testing their cars. I was at our race shop about a mile from the track getting our #17 Challenger Late Model ready for our race on Saturday. I needed some gas for our car so I ran over to the track to get some. I parked MY “Baby Vette” at the end of pit road so I could cross the track and get my gas. I have to say my GT is not a cream puff; I bought it 2 months ago, stuck on some plates and have been driving it. It has some very bad rust repair, a so-so paint job, and a broken hood held on with hood pins. I headed to the infield gas can in hand, of course I had to do some tire kicking while I was there so a half hour went by before I headed back. Well when I returned there was a crowd around the “Lil Vette”. There were drivers, crew members, car owners, spectators, and best of all four of the famous HOOTERS GIRLS all looking over the GT. The best part of this was I had parked next to the track owner’s Cobra kit car. I just stood back and listened to what was said about the “Poor Man’s Vette”. “I had one of these”, “I always wanted one of these”, “What the hell is it”, “I had a friend who had one” and of course the tried and true “what the hell is an Opel”. I just stood back and thought of all the cars I have owned this little one draws a crowd. I finally had to say excuse me but I have to get back to work and threw in the gas can and headed back to the shop.
Saturday night one of the track officials came over to me and said he saw the crowd around the GT. He said that it wasn’t the GT that drew the crowd, but the HOOTERS GIRLS leaning over to look inside. Yes, I did see one of these GIRLS looking inside and it was a sight to behold! I’m not sure which one it was but no matter the crowd was around the GT. Opel GT – 1 Cobra – 0 Where is the camera when you need it?
If you would like to see photos of the event go to http://aispeedway.com/ then click on the Screaming link. I didn’t see Len (the web master) with his camera but you never know where he pops up with his camera, he might have a photo of the GT crowd. If you do take a look, while your there vote for our driver “SLICK WILLIE” Decker, #17 Challenger Late Model.

·
1,875 Posts

I think my GT draws more attention where ever I go than any 70 Corvette would.I never see anyone park his Corvette and get out of it only to stand and answer questions for 10 minutes about it. Also amazing is how many people tell me that they had owned one once, and they all wish they still had it.I remember driving my first GT in 1979, and people telling me THEN that "You don't see many of those anymore!" And the kids flock to the car where ever it's parked. I guess anyone can just go and buy a Corvette.

·
Curve Crazy GT
399 Posts
i was jsut searchin threads and found this, you know waht all us Opel guys gotta start doin. is every time we see a 60's or 70's vette say
" Hey, how did you make that Opel GT so big! " or "Nice Big Opel!"

Mabey then we can really see some mad steamed faces of the vette owner, if they know what your talkin about that is!

·
Registered
345 Posts
i have heard of ppl calling the gt a frog car because of the headlights when they are open....

·
Registered
521 Posts
My friend Peter from work just picked up a '79 Porsche 911SC a few weeks back. He knew about my '72 GT and we were both anxious to go cruising with the old cars. Last weekend we took the cars out for a spin. Peter brought his very pretty wife (whom I just met that day) along with him to ride shotgun in the Porsche. When we stopped to get gas right after we left the house, Peter's wife told him "Kyle's car looks better then ours." So he asked her "Would you like to ride with him?!" Pete's a good sport but I felt a little uncomfortable. ....man, hang on to your wives' when I drive by! :lmao:

·
231 Posts
The Thinking Man's Corvette

Back in 1989, I purchased my second Opel GT shortly after graduating from the University of Florida. My first GT was wrecked when I was in high school, so I made do with a Schwinn during my college years. After graduation from U.F., I was still working at Leonardo's Pizza in Gainesville for a time and when I showed up for work one day in my '73 Opel GT my boss admiringly called it "The thinking man's Corvette!" I always liked that comment.

From what I can tell the original intention of the Opel designers was to create a car that would be a direct competitor to the Porsche 912, and with some proper development even the 911. Unfortunately GM never fully supported those efforts. That work has been left to us!
-Jonzo:drive:

·
Registered
11 Posts
a guy i work with once argued with me about my OWN CAR (talk about annoying) and insisted that it was a rx7 :banghead:

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
Well, the word must be getting out. We had a car show at our Company this week(about 9,000 people work there). Not one baby or poor mans corvette remark. They all knew it was an Opel GT. It has been to this show 4 times so I think it is sinking in.

·
Super Moderator
9,754 Posts
Candace said:
insisted that it was a rx7 :banghead:
If these people could see a Saab Sonnet, RX-7 and 240Z along side the GT they would finally see that there's MAJOR differences in them and the GT.:banghead:

·
"Newbie"
53 Posts
lol i almost bought a saab sonnet... all fiberglass. not near as pretty.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
BQS4 said:
If these people could see a Saab Sonnet, RX-7 and 240Z along side the GT they would finally see that there's MAJOR differences in them and the GT.:banghead:

Yep, Gene, the GT is far and away better looking.

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
Even Corvette owners can't tell sometimes...

There is a practice among Corvette owners of exchanging friendly waves as they pass by each other on the road. On occasion, I've had Corvette drivers wave at me (or start to wave and then embarrassedly pull their hand down fast). Obviously at first glance, coming from the opposite direction, they mistake my Opel GT as belonging to the bigboy club!

·
199 Posts
A few weeks ago I had a repair guy at the house, we went out in the garage for some reason and he saw the GT sitting there so he started taking a closer look at it. After a few minutes of examination he asked what year it was and when I told him he commented that he didn’t think Chevrolet made the Corvettes that small back then. When I told him Chevy didn’t make Corvettes that small he looked puzzled. So I commented that you should never wash a car with hot water and dry it too fast or it might shrink. Sad thing is I think he believed me. :lmao:

I have had people say things like ”look it’s a mini Corvette” and then ask if it is hard to get parts for, so I tell them I just by regular Corvette parts and file them down. :sigh:

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
bq97 said:
When I told him Chevy didn’t make Corvettes that small he looked puzzled. So I commented that you should never wash a car with hot water and dry it too fast or it might shrink. Sad thing is I think he believed me. :lmao:
I saw a GT at Carlisle which had a bumper sticker "Nobody told me my Corvette was Dry Clean Only". That is what I tell the people when I get the mini-corvette reference.:D

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
An adversary in the local compact class tried to get my car disqualified recently. His reasoning was that it was a sports car. And a miniature corvette. "Even designed by the same guy who designed the Stingray" he whined. Hmm... apparently he had done at least a little research. Refused to consider my remark that a GT is a Kadett with a different body. Some sports car. Case closed.

·
Detroit,where my home was
2,986 Posts
Same thing with the Ascona

The remark and question I get with my Ascona: Is it a Kadett?? or it is a Kadett!!
Witch can be explained that the front does look alot like the Kadett, because the Ascona should have been the C typ Kadett.
And I would do the same if I had a GT, fabricate some bs story that the GT is far better than a Vett. [but the Vett's from the late 50's I like best]

41 - 59 of 59 Posts