Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
My tires are disposable. I'm more safety concerned with lack of roll cage and harness. If you're that worried about it, wear a helmet when you drive. 1st point of overall preventative maintenance. Keep good rubber on your cars.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,368 Posts
Yep. I have a 2001 diesel truck that had new tires put on 8-9 years ago. Then I parked for some years with a trannie issue, but have it going again now. I plan to sell it, but I'll put on another set of new tires before selling... there are deep cracks between the tread rows. No way I'll sell it with the tires being marginal and have some hurt themselves because they didn't pay attention.

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
493 Posts
Roy- Nice find. Especially the comments by Mike_8TY4SP_MNL13GS_Vettes about making tires last.

·
Super Moderator
14,289 Posts
It’s not that older tires are necessarily unsafe. But cracks are a definite no-no.

The higher the performance level of the tire, the greater the decline in traction over a given period of time.

That said, a super high performance car that relies on a huge percentage of its capabilities through the exceptional performance of the tires will take the hardest hit. Braking, cornering, and acceleration all are drastically affected.

·
Detritus Maximus
3,190 Posts
My tires are disposable. I'm more safety concerned with lack of roll cage and harness. If you're that worried about it, wear a helmet when you drive. 1st point of overall preventative maintenance. Keep good rubber on your cars.
Tires are cheaper insurance than insurance!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts