Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fortunately for me, but unfortunately for everyone else, I just purchased the last 8 ARP Rod Bolts designed for the 1.9 CIH Opel motor. I spoke to Al Nichols, he is really good at finding these non-standard parts. He said it would cost $300-400 for them to run another batch of these bolts. It would probably be a good idea to have a group buy on these sometime when enough of us need another set to absorb the cost of production.

With the Venolia pistons, pins and clips, bushed stock forged rods and standard 70mm stroke I'm able to run the bolts to almost 9000 RPM without permanent damage.

·
Senior Contributor
4,998 Posts
Since the ARP bolts are NLA, is there another manufacturer for high tensile rod bolts or do I just buy new stock ones from OGTS?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
O.K. guys, doing the math in my head it would take 5-6 people purchasing the bolts to break even on the run, if the run is for 40-48 bolts. I'm not sure what the number of bolts for a run would be, so it may not be cost effective for the above numbers. Maybe a call to ARP would be in order to solidify numbers needed. BTW, I'm not interested in getting any, can't use them on Willit?, I'm just being a Devil's Advocate here. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, it's just that sometimes it is needed to get things in focus.

·
vit.guimaraes
20 Posts
studs instead

Hey Guys,

instead of bolts, we may order mais and head studs and con rod bolts.

I will take 3 at least of each and 2 more could be a possibility.

happy year

·
Super Moderator
13,582 Posts
jeff denton said:
That is a neat idea, but, has there ever been any concern over using the stock main bolts? As far as I know, the stock bottom end is pretty much bulletproof as-is. Head studs for sure, you can get more even clamping that way... Where's Bob?
Head studs are a PITA on an Opel. Imagine trying to lower a washer and a nut onto the studs that are adjacent to the camshaft....I mean you can't even see them practically!

Main studs are not too bad to do, but on #1 main cap you will need to cut the studs to minimum lengths, and still have to grind the timing cover for them to clear.

Take into account the costs however. Go to the bottom of this old response: http://www.opelgt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=40733&postcount=29

I have had rod bolts, main studs, and head bolts made for the CIH over the years. If you're not pushing 220+ hp N/A or over 9000 rpms you don't need them at all, you're guilding the lilly. If you are running a high boost turbo then head bolts are a good idea, with main studs a good idea if you are revving that turbo engine high. ARP won't do tiny production runs anymore, so be prepared to spend thousands of dollars up front for these things.

Bob

·
Senior Contributor
4,998 Posts
So it sounds like the original question I asked is answered by saying that stock bolts are the only answer.

·
Super Moderator
13,582 Posts
markandson said:
So it sounds like the original question I asked is answered by saying that stock bolts are the only answer.
Well, if you guys do a group buy of ARP bolts, that will take some time to collect all the funds I'm sure. Then add in the manufacturing time, and the distribution, you're looking at 3-4 months minimum. After February all racing parts manufacturers take a long time, since the big race teams are placing orders for the new season in advance.

Alternatively, Kamax in Germany used to make higher strength rod bolts for the 1.9/2.0/2.2 rods. I used to get them from Irmscher, but I suspect someone in Germany can still get them...maybe Risse or Mantzel or????
But again, shipping time/costs may be an issue depending on when you need them.

New stock rod bolts are generally okay for any street engine, and drag racing use. Even if you occasionally hit 7500-8000 rpms on the roads, it's not like road racing or circle track, where you might stay between 6000-8500 for 40 minutes per weekend....which is longer than your engine will ever see at that rpms in it's entire life as a street driven engine.

Bob

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
The Other Way .....

Replacing the rods with "H-beam" rods is the one viable way to get stronger ARP bolts and rods into a CIH Opel motor. There has been some discussion on this very topic from time to time. I have both Eagle Dodge Neon and 2300 Ford H-beams here in hand at the moment. They are longer centre to centre but with new pistons with the correct pin height there is a fighting chance.
The 2300 Ford rods have 2.0" Chevy V8 conrod bearings and are the correct width plus have floating pins in the Ford 0.912" size ..... all standard stuff.
Well worth investigating as the four rods were only about $US189.00 !!
They have new ARP rod bolts in them too. :)

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
2.0 L 16-valve

That 2.0 litre 16v motor is a later model Opel twin cam motor completely different to the old Cam-In-Head motor - I doubt that the con rod bolts will interchange ...........

·
Non Civilian
2,085 Posts
Fork out the dough for a set and see if they fit.:)

·
1000 Post Club
1,409 Posts
does anyone have the arp part number? i know at work we have alot of bolts of arp sets that they dont list anymore and are just sitting there on the shelf. not sure what they ever planned to do with them, but they would sell them to me im sure.

·
Super Moderator
13,582 Posts
I contacted ARP's special products division today. I am awaiting a price and delivery schedule on multiple sets of high strength rod bolts to fit Opel 1.9/2.0/2.2 connecting rods. I am assuming they are significantly more costly than they used to be based on raw material price increases.

Anyway, I intend to order some regardless, as I have a personal need for at least two sets. I suspect I will have to order 10 sets to make minimums, and to keep the price down. It will still be costly for me, as I have to pay up front.

I should have a confirmed price by the end of next week, as well as a delivery timeframe. If anyone has genuine interest, please let me know. If there is not sufficient interest here, I will probably sell them in Europe or on Ebay.

Thanks,
Bob

·
1,973 Posts
If they don't turn out to be ridiculously expensive, I'm in for a set.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts