Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of all, I mistyped the thread's title and could not correct it afterwards, so moderators, please correct to "Ascona B Cold air induction for 5$". Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience.

It's been a while since I noticed that the Ascona B was designed with cold air induction in mind. I probably was an option for some versions/countries.

As you can see in the first image, there is a mounting spot for a duct in the nose, right behind the grille. The grille itself has a bug shield already on it from the factory. In addition, the air-filter's housing tip is pointing directly to the opening, and it's end is shaped to accept standard 50mm air-induction paper hose.

So what is missing is the duct itself, and the hose.

From looking at the opening, I tried to figure out what I can use as a duct, something cheap, lightweight and easy to modify. So I found a couple of plumbing PVC "Ts", 50mm diameter, and cut one of them as seen in the fourth image. I also made a hole for the screw that will secure it to the opening behind the front grille. I chose to keep the side that has a "male" ending, so the hose can just slide over it.

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I then found a screw slightly larger than the already existing hole at the metal body, and threaded it in. This secured the duct very securely, as it is very lightweight.

Then, I just used a piece of 50mm aluminum flex hose to connect the the air filter to the duct, and that's all about it. The aluminum hose does not look very nice, and will soon replace it with black paper hose, to match the hot-air induction from the exhaust manifold.

I also posted some pictures of the finished "product".

Total cost 0,50Euros for the PVC T, and 3 euros for the hose. Total time needed less than 20 minutes.

It might not look very beautiful to the eye. If the duct was cut more carefuly, had been painted black, and connected with some black paper hose, the final look would have been almost stock. But that's something for the weekend. Optimization comes after improvisation:yup: ... After all the hood is closed, and the front grille hides it until later...

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Living in the past
2,263 Posts
air duct hose

I then found a screw slightly larger than the already existing hole at the metal body, and threaded it in. This secured the duct very securely, as it is very light as well.

Then, I just used a piece of 50mm aluminum flex hose to connect the the air filter to the duct, and that's all about it. The aluminum hose does not look very nice, and will soon replace it with black paper hose, to match the hot-air induction from the exhaust manifold.

I also post some pictures of the finished "product".

Total cost 0,50Euros for the PVC T, and 3 euros for the hose. Total time needed less than 20 minutes.

It might not look very beautiful to the eye. If the duct was cut more carefuly, had been painted black, and connected with some black paper hose, the final look would have been almost stock. But that's something for the weekend. Optimization comes after improvisation:yup: ... After all the hood is closed, and the front grille hides it until later...

Cheers!
Looks good, and will do the job, but instead of replacing the aluminum hose with a paper one, just take it off and shoot it with some black paint as it will last longer than the paper one.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
My main concern for not painting the existing hose, was the paint chipping during installation/removal. I will try it though! If it does chip I will then replace it with the paper hose I mentioned, which is actually aluminum inside, and just covered with black paper.

·
Super Moderator
5,290 Posts
'75 Ascona A stock FI fresh air plumbing

Don't know if earlier models had it, but my '75 Ascona A (only year all US Opels had Bosch L-Jetronic FI) had this plumbed for fresh air to the FI air filter intake . . .

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The finished product

I found the spray paint I had used to re-paint the air-filter housing and valve cover a year ago, and sprayed the duct and hose. They look darker/glossier because my engine hasn't been washed during the last 2 months, but in a couple of weeks, they will all look the same...;)

As a reminder, I took a photo of the manual hot/cold air selector, because although finished, you have to "flip the flap" to put the assembly into action... If you are unlucky I mean, and do not have the vacuum actuated selector at the underside of the air filter housing... Well, I don't:no: ...

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hey Dave, thanks for your kind offer!

I am not really interested in a vacuum actuated air filter housing, I understand that in my post I might have sounded a little envious for one.

After all, since my car is a B series Ascona (1975 - 1981) , and you are located in Texas, it might be impossible if not very difficult to find a housing correct for my application, since B series Asconas were not imported to the U.S. And something from other models could be a start for problems, like hood clearance, incorrect orientation of the ports for the PCV and induction hoses etc.

But THANK YOU once again for you offer to help! I really appreciate it!

Regards

Antonis

·
Super Moderator
5,290 Posts
Ami vs. Euro air filters

Hey Dave, thanks for your kind offer!

I am not really interested in a vacuum actuated air filter housing, I understand that in my post I might have sounded a little envious for one.

After all, since my car is a B series Ascona, and you are located in Texas, it might be impossible if not very difficult to find a housing correct for my application, since B series Asconas were not imported to the U.S. And something from other models could be a start for problems, like hood clearances, hose orientation etc.

But THANK YOU once again for you offer to help! I really appreciate it!

Regards

Antonis
Actually, I think you'll find that the housings are dimensionally the same, the only real difference between the "lazy" US housing and yours is that ours have the integrated vacuum actuated hot air doors (winter and cold start) while you must do that manually on yours. HTH

·
Super Moderator
9,646 Posts
Antonis;
What carb are you using? Solex? The vac operated aircleaners we got are for solex carbs. I have several air cleaner assemblies here. And yes, they have the vac operated flap door.:)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Once again thank you for your offers for vacumm actuated housings. I haven't thought so far that mine could be interchangeable with US spec ones. I will consider it and contact Dave or Gene if I decide to have one.

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Was it worth doing? Yes!

It's been almost a week since I fitted the cold air induction, and I may say that it has been beneficial for the car. I've driven about 300km with it installed, and I have noticed difference in performance. There is a gain in torque, most obvious when going WOT from cruise (overtake etc.).

Although I've been driving a bit more spirited to enjoy the power gain, I think fuel consumption has stayed the same, or maybe even reduced by a tiny bit (it is early for a safe assumption). I think it has to do with needing less throttle to do same actions than before.

In addition it has greatly helped my dieseling problem, which was the reason I fitted it in the first place.

I wonder if replacing the air filter with a K&N that fits the stock housing will make any more difference. I think I'll buy one soon...:D

Cheers!

·
boomerang opeler
5,621 Posts
could be the obvious carb fault

(rolls out the old chestnut )

99% of carb problems are ignition problems :)

·
Super Moderator
5,290 Posts
Opel K&N air filters

It's been almost a week since I fitted the cold air induction, and I may say that it has been beneficial for the car. I've driven about 300km with it installed, and I have noticed difference in performance. There is a gain in torque, most obvious when going WOT from cruise (overtake etc.).

Although I've been driving a bit more spirited to enjoy the power gain, I think fuel consumption has stayed the same, or maybe even reduced by a tiny bit (it is early for a safe assumption). I think it has to do with needing less throttle to do same actions than before.

In addition it has greatly helped my dieseling problem, which was the reason I fitted it in the first place.

I wonder if replacing the air filter with a K&N that fits the stock housing will make any more difference. I think I'll buy one soon...:D

Cheers!
THIS might help . . . Opel K&N air filter cross reference listing!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts