Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo to all! Does anyone know how can we convert the ascona b to 5-stud? As I already know, except from the 400 parts (which are very rare and expensive), we can use the parts from opell commodore b in front. But what about the rear axle? Does anyone know any possible conversions, not by using adaptors?
Thanks a lot!

·
Super Moderator
9,673 Posts
Hallo to all! Does anyone know how can we convert the ascona b to 5-stud? As I already know, except from the 400 parts (which are very rare and expensive), we can use the parts from opell commodore b in front. But what about the rear axle? Does anyone know any possible conversions, not by using adaptors?
Thanks a lot!
I don't know much about the various models we didn't get here in the US, but, you can look at this member's photo album, he's in the UK. He did the conversion on a Manta A, I don't know how well this translates to the Ascona B, but, it's a start....
paul1393 Gallery - Opel Photo Gallery

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Thanks a lot!
Actually, the "400 parts" are from the Commodore B GS/E and while they're fairly rare the regular non GS/E parts will work as well, the biggest difference being drum vs disc brakes at the rear

The rear axle will fit but it takes a bit of work as it's a 4 link setup so make sure you get all the control arms and if possible the brackets to mount them to the chassis, don't forget the prop/drive shaft either as the rear axle uses a totally different system

It's my understanding that you don't actually *need* the whole rear axle as the half shafts can be modified to fit a standard Ascona/Manta housing but I've never actually spoken in person to anyone who has done this so take that info for what it's worth

If you know anyone in Romania they actually made a pick-up version of the Kadett C which used 5 studs and I have spoken to one person who used a rear axle from one of those on his Ascona. He wanted to run wider rear wheels without flared fenders and the narrower track suited him fine

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I don't know much about the various models we didn't get here in the US, but, you can look at this member's photo album, he's in the UK. He did the conversion on a Manta A, I don't know how well this translates to the Ascona B, but, it's a start....
paul1393 Gallery - Opel Photo Gallery
If I remember correctly it translates quite well so it's a very good start if you ask me :cool:, the rear axle is pretty much identical between the two except for the track width and you can bolt Ascona B brakes straight onto an Ascona A, depending on the wheel offset you may have to grind off a wee bit of material from the calipers

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys. So, the matter is where to find a Commodore B GS/E in order to use its parts. Can anyone help? :)

·
Super Moderator
9,673 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. So, the matter is where to find a Commodore B GS/E in order to use its parts. Can anyone help? :)
If there are any of the GS/E's here, they are VERY few and far between. You're better off looking around Europe. The US wasn't a market for these cars.

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,087 Posts
I have a GS/E set in my basement (in the US), but that's exactly where it will stay for now ... sorry, couldn't resist.

Dieter

·
Registered
342 Posts
Nope, I got the A-model GS 2.8 from 1971 that came with drums in the rear but this one has the rare LSD and there's also a complete car attached to it.
LOL
What I meant is you can look also for GS2.8 B-model parts/parts cars with dual carbs, they used that axle as well from 1976 on.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope, I got the A-model GS 2.8 from 1971 that came with drums in the rear but this one has the rare LSD and there's also a complete car attached to it.
LOL
What I meant is you can look also for GS2.8 B-model parts/parts cars with dual carbs, they used that axle as well from 1976 on.
The A-model that you have is also 5-stud? I do not really care if the rear axle is with drums or discs, this is a matter that is going to be solved afterwards (and I have already some solutions). I am searching for the parts from a Commodore B but it is really hard to find. I would be grateful to anyone who can help.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
The A-model that you have is also 5-stud? I do not really care if the rear axle is with drums or discs, this is a matter that is going to be solved afterwards (and I have already some solutions). I am searching for the parts from a Commodore B but it is really hard to find. I would be grateful to anyone who can help.
This site is primarily made up of people from the US and the Commodore was never officially sold over there so you'll have much better chance of getting help to find parts on a "European" board

Commodore parts do show up on e-bay from time to time, my guess is that you will end up having to buy a donor car, I wouldn't think rusty 4 door "non GS/E" Commodores to be too expensive in Germany or the UK

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This site is primarily made up of people from the US and the Commodore was never officially sold over there so you'll have much better chance of getting help to find parts on a "European" board

Commodore parts do show up on e-bay from time to time, my guess is that you will end up having to buy a donor car, I wouldn't think rusty 4 door "non GS/E" Commodores to be too expensive in Germany or the UK
I think you are right. :) However, I like writing in here and I think I can get lot of help from this forum!

·
boomerang opeler
5,629 Posts
i live in the northern part of the uk and nont think i have ever seen a commodore A
the B i have seen 2 off

the south of the country may have had more but i doubt it was many of them

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
i live in the northern part of the uk and nont think i have ever seen a commodore A
the B i have seen 2 off

the south of the country may have had more but i doubt it was many of them
Yeah, I forgot that you guys had the Vauxhall Victor/Ventora (sp), friend of mine had a 3.3 back in the day and while it didn't handle all too well it was pretty quick in a straight line for a car of that age

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 24 Posts