Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a look at the headlights on the '72 Ascona from Germany.
They are H4 halogen units with removable reflectors, that's the good news....
the bad news is it looks like the actual glass lens is not removable from the steel housing...
Did U.S. spec cars come with halogen, or were they equipped with sealed beams like the Manta's (I know...7" instead of 5 3/4"...but you know what I mean!)?
TIA, Rob.

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Gary....that's what I was hoping....
Now...anyone have a spare set of housings they'd like to convert to beer chits? :D

·
Administrator
10,290 Posts
Rionart said:
Thanks Gary....that's what I was hoping....
Now...anyone have a spare set of housings they'd like to convert to beer chits? :D
Paging Mr. BQS4..... Mr. BQS4. Parts request from the "Great White North".... :D

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gene,
You've got mail!...well a PM anyway.... ;)

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Just a Note

The round 7" and 5 3/4" sealed beam headlights are very standardised as is their mounting bracketry. When changing to RHD 7" sealed beams on my GT from the original LHD I found that Studebaker, Chevrolet and Holden mounting brackets virtually interchanged with the Opel ones. May be the 5 3/4" stuff on 1958 - onwards US cars is very similar.
HTH

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
Jim;
I have a set of mounts for Rob. I'll get them dug out of the garage (nice term for MESS!!!) and get them in the mail to him.
Gene

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
'72 Ascona Euro headlight reflectors

Rionart said:
I just had a look at the headlights on the '72 Ascona from Germany.
They are H4 halogen units with removable reflectors, that's the good news....
the bad news is it looks like the actual glass lens is not removable from the steel housing...
Did U.S. spec cars come with halogen, or were they equipped with sealed beams like the Manta's (I know...7" instead of 5 3/4"...but you know what I mean!)?
TIA, Rob.
Hey Rob, I know this is late, but you wouldn't want to part with those reflectors now, would you? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
H-4 headlight reflectors

2 Fast 4 U said:
I've been looking around for H4 head lights, and couldn't find them [very scarce hier in Holland] so I rebuilt the H4 head lights from a '72 BMW 1802 I had
I bought a set of NOS Euro style Ascona A headlight lenses without the accompanying reflectors (seller didn't have them) many years ago and would like to find a set of NOS reflectors to complete them. I've been told they appear on German e-bay every once in a while . . . maybe you could keep an eye out for them for me?! I guess any 7" H-4 style reflectors from that period would work . . . i.e. doesn't have to be specifically from Opel, maybe BMW, VW, Audi, Mercedes, etc? :confused:

·
Detroit,where my home was
2,991 Posts
tekenaar said:
I bought a set of NOS Euro style Ascona A headlight lenses without the accompanying reflectors (seller didn't have them) many years ago and would like to find a set of NOS reflectors to complete them. I've been told they appear on German e-bay every once in a while . . . maybe you could keep an eye out for them for me?! I guess any 7" H-4 style reflectors from that period would work . . . i.e. doesn't have to be specifically from Opel, maybe BMW, VW, Audi, Mercedes, etc? :confused:
I don't think they'll fit, and to look out for them will be difficult because I don't look at E Bay, I find it very expensive and I don't like bidding, sorry Otto

but I do know that there are H4 bulbs that are made for the normal headlight with the same size and shape metal foot [or how do you call it :confused: ]

·
2,991 Posts
For the people who don't care if their headlights are stock, I'm making the H4 headlights from a VW Polo ['86-'94] fit with use of a few brackets, using the original mounting holes of the Ascona headlight. see if I can post some pictures tomorrow, and some dimensions for those who are interested.

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
Erick;
HELLA makes a H-4 bolt in for the Ascona. I recently got a set for an Ascona Sportwagon and they work great!! I even found two places to get the "bubble" headlight protectors to keep rocks from cracking the lenses.

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
HELLA also makes the H4/H1 set up for the Mantas too, and there's also the bubble protectors for the 5 3/4" headlights too.

·
2,991 Posts
Erick;
HELLA makes a H-4 bolt in for the Ascona. I recently got a set for an Ascona Sportwagon and they work great!! I even found two places to get the "bubble" headlight protectors to keep rocks from cracking the lenses.
Do you have a part# for the H4?
The "bubble" headlight protectors are they also from Hella? or do you have an address on the www were to find them??

Here are some photo's from the new headlights:

photo #1 The headlight and the mounting rings
photo #2, 3 the headlight is bolted to the mounting ring with the smaller inner circle, this is then mounted to the other ring with the large inner circle with the original screws.
as you can see the large inner circle ring [photo#5] has a rim spot welded to it, this is so that the original plastic protection/dust cap can be mounted, see photo #4
I'll take some more photo's when I put them in the car.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.