Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
863 Posts
No sure that I understand why there are apparently so many people that take a car and store, or just leave or abandon it indefinitely just because it stopped running or whatever. Why not sell it a the time it stops running. Generally speaking this unusual process will not add value to the vehicle, but I know at times it does turn out to add value in the event the vehicle turns out to be an extremely rare car. But in any regard, the barn/shed/ leanto find is much preferred than just letting the car sit in a field outside in the elements for 30 years and then trying to sell it for a lot more that it could ever possibly be worth. You know those car sitting up to the rockers in mud, covered in debris, and mice infested, ingested, digested..........rust buckets....Amazing. Sorry just ranting........................

·
Registered
127 Posts
No sure that I understand why there are apparently so many people that take a car and store, or just leave or abandon it indefinitely just because it stopped running or whatever. Why not sell it a the time it stops running. Generally speaking this unusual process will not add value to the vehicle, but I know at times it does turn out to add value in the event the vehicle turns out to be an extremely rare car. But in any regard, the barn/shed/ leanto find is much preferred than just letting the car sit in a field outside in the elements for 30 years and then trying to sell it for a lot more that it could ever possibly be worth. You know those car sitting up to the rockers in mud, covered in debris, and mice infested, ingested, digested..........rust buckets....Amazing. Sorry just ranting........................
I believe it's called live and learn and hind sight is 20/20.

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
863 Posts
I think you are correct Opelmeister, it is live and learn and I an not just picking on this one post I see it on the internet all of the time, not just Opels but everything/every brand sometimes left outside without even rolling up the windows. Many times what could have been a good fixer upper is just rusting away. What ever happened to scrap value. Remember that video of the two Opel GT's that trees had to be cut down to move them out to the road, I mean, who leaves money on the table like that. This was years and years ago but I saw a GT sitting in someone's back yard with the window down and a tree, I kid you not, growing up through the gear shift boot into to the car. I stopped and asked if they would like to sell what looked liked an abandoned GT, not interested. So there it sat - I watched it for years and one day I think they moved so I have no idea what happened to that Orange GT in Southern Pines, NC.

·
Opeler
116 Posts
Through the years I have experienced several cases of cars left to die and the owners wouldn't sell. One was a blue 72 opel manta rallye near a relative's house out of state. It was up on jackstands in their driveway which was right at a t intersection in the country. owner insisted they were fixing a broken clutch. year after year visiting and the car sat there and each time i visited the story was the same and nothing ever happened. then it was missing one summer when i visited. found out someone failed to navigate the turn and totaled the manta sitting in the driveway..on those jackstands. I also tried to buy a 360SST Javelin...1971 and the guy was asking about twice what it was worth but it was a very nice car. it sat there with a for sale sign for at least 10 years and never moved. it ended up in a local junk yard after his estate sale.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts