Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Although I'm hardly an Opel newbie having owned them all the way back to the 60's (remember the 60's? If you do, you weren't really there!), I am new to Ascona ownership. The 1972 that I recently purchased has "good bones" but is going to need a lot to get it to where I want it. With that, a few questions for you all:

How do you go about replacing the rear light bulbs? The front ones have lenses with screws (and crusted in bulbs, but that's a different story), but the tail/turn signal/brake lights don't. I can see how to remove the whole housing if need be, but how do you get at the bulbs themselves?

Is the trunk supposed to have a light in it that lights up when it opens? It looks to me like there might be a spot for that, but none is there.

Speaking of the trunk, are there supposed to be little rubber "bumpers" for the trunk lid? If so, where can I get them and where do they go?

Are modern retractable seat belts available? OGTS has them for the GT, but not the Ascona.

Are there any tech tips for working on the bucket seat tilt mechanism? I found some for the GT (and I've done those in the past) but nothing for the Manta/Ascona mechanism. I have one seat that keeps collapsing to the rear, and the other than the latch release seems stuck.

Are there replacement rubber "bushings" or clips available for the rear wing windows? How are they installed?

Are there any decent seat covers out there for the rear seats? The front seats aren't too bad, but the rear ones could use some covers until I can get around to getting them recovered?

I'm sure that I'll have more questions as the restoration of "the beast" continues, but that should do for now. Thanks in advance for any advice you all may have, and if it's accompanied by pictures, that would be even better!

Mel

·
Super Moderator
14,289 Posts
How do you go about replacing the rear light bulbs? The front ones have lenses with screws (and crusted in bulbs, but that's a different story), but the tail/turn signal/brake lights don't. I can see how to remove the whole housing if need be, but how do you get at the bulbs themselves?
Remove the light housings from the body. The bulbs are easily removed then

Is the trunk supposed to have a light in it that lights up when it opens? It looks to me like there might be a spot for that, but none is there.
There is a spot for it, but they were optional.

Speaking of the trunk, are there supposed to be little rubber "bumpers" for the trunk lid? If so, where can I get them and where do they go?
The bumpers should be on the trunk itself, near the rear corners. I’ve never had to replace them so I’m not sure where you would buy them. Chances are you can get them from a European supplier though.

Are modern retractable seat belts available? OGTS has them for the GT, but not the Ascona.
The later 1974-1975 Manta, Ascona, Sportwagon all had them.

Are there any tech tips for working on the bucket seat tilt mechanism? I found some for the GT (and I've done those in the past) but nothing for the Manta/Ascona mechanism. I have one seat that keeps collapsing to the rear, and the other than the latch release seems stuck.
Usually they are just gummed up. They typically need to be cleaned and lubricated. The release lever often sticks in the ‘up’ position so the seat back falls.

Are there replacement rubber "bushings" or clips available for the rear wing windows? How are they installed?
Reprotec in Germany makes improved rear side hinges and rubber inserts. They are glued to the glass.

Are there any decent seat covers out there for the rear seats? The front seats aren't too bad, but the rear ones could use some covers until I can get around to getting them recovered?
You got me on this one.

·
Super Moderator
14,289 Posts
Reactions: Nitromancer

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I think I mis-stated my question. I can get the housing removed from the body, but to get to the bulbs either the lens has to come off of the housing or the bulb sockets have to come out of the housing. The lens appears to be pressed/glued on, and I don't see any obvious ways to remove the sockets themselves. Which is the correct way to go about this without destroying the whole thing?

·
Opeler
316 Posts
OK, I think I mis-stated my question. I can get the housing removed from the body, but to get to the bulbs either the lens has to come off of the housing or the bulb sockets have to come out of the housing. The lens appears to be pressed/glued on, and I don't see any obvious ways to remove the sockets themselves. Which is the correct way to go about this without destroying the whole thing?
The bulb holder comes out

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bulb holder comes out
How does it come out? I assume that it's the metal holder that comes out and not the plastic socket inside the holder. If so, does it just pull out, or does it have to be rotated, or what? Mine don't seem to want to move.

·
Opeler
316 Posts
If it was me I’d take the whole assembly out. It’s held in by three studs with I believe 8 mm nuts . Be careful the plastic is old but it sounds like you know about Opels . Then you can work the socket And bulb holder. Also there is a gasket around the housing that can become stuck to the body and or light housing, it may not come out with ease.
s

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it was me I’d take the whole assembly out. It’s held in by three studs with I believe 8 mm nuts . Be careful the plastic is old but it sounds like you know about Opels . Then you can work the socket And bulb holder. Also there is a gasket around the housing that can become stuck to the body and or light housing, it may not come out with ease.
s
I have the whole assembly out. Is it the lens that is supposed to come off, and if so, how? Or is it the pieces of metal that house the plastic sockets that come out of the main housing, and, if so, how? I'm looking for specifics because I know that these are 50 years old and brittle. Not as old or brittle as me, but still...

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ignore, I was thinking GT.
Not on mine, unfortunately. But I did finally unlock the secret.

I had removed the light assembly from the vehicle body by removing the nuts from the 3 bolts of the assembly and pulling the assembly from the body. It was only after taking a much closer look at the assembly that I noticed that the bolts had metal covers on them that were "gooped" into place at some point.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

After prying off these covers, I discovered another nut underneath.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

Removing this second nut from each of the bolts freed the lens. At last, success!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts