Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the max that will work for a '75 Ascona without any interference. I got 13X7 American Racing Libre wheels and was thinking of 205-60-13. I know 195-60-13 worked real good on my '72 Manta Rallye in the past. Any suggestions would be helpful.

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
Ascona tires

Jpavlack;
I'm currently running 205/60R-13 on 13X6 BBS wheels on my Sportwagon, and save for having to trim the splash guard under the nose, at the edges, they are working fine.
Gene

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
Tires

Joe;
I don't know the actual numbers, but, these BBS wheels were meant for the BMW 320i series, so, whatever that is, that's what the offset is. I bought these wheels eons ago (literally, we're talking a good 20+ years)
Gene

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
Ascona tires

Joe;
I didn't really see your first post, I just re-read it and you say you have a set of 13X7 Libre mags. I have a set being re-drilled right now. I traded for a set of 13X7 Libres, but, they were drilled for a Italian car (96mm) I'm having them re-drilled for my GT. The BBS I was talking about in my earlier post were on this smae GT, but, when I got the Libres, I swapped the BBS to my Sportwagon to run the Libres on my GT. I should be getting them back soon.
Gene

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts
WIth 195 or 205 tires I have had problems rubbing at the far end of the turn radius. I then beat the inner fender in some and it goes away. I have seen 225r13s on a Manta. Old BFGoodrichs I think.

Charles

·
Super Moderator
13,840 Posts
GoinManta said:
WIth 195 or 205 tires I have had problems rubbing at the far end of the turn radius. I then beat the inner fender in some and it goes away. I have seen 225r13s on a Manta. Old BFGoodrichs I think.

Charles
With the proper wheel offset, I fit 235/50-13's in front on 8" wheels and 245/50-13's out back on 9" wheels on my '73 Ascona. No flares, just rolled the rear wheel lips, and the car was lowered 3".

Bob

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
Ascona tires

Bob;
you wouldn't happen to have a pic of that car set up like that, would you?

·
Super Moderator
13,840 Posts
BQS4 said:
Bob;
you wouldn't happen to have a pic of that car set up like that, would you?
Only on 'real' film, nothing digital. Still have the wheels and tires, I guess I could bolt one up to a car in my barn and take a pic. Not quite as dramatic as the lowered Ascona though.

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
Ascona tires

Bob;
It would still give us a visual idea of what it looks like. Just whenever you get the chance, it would be cool to see it.
Gene

·
792 Posts
No flares, just rolled the rear wheel lips, and the car was lowered 3".

What exactly is meant by "rolling rear wheel lips" ?
Can you describe or picture how this is done?

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You get a baseball bat and stick it between the tire and inside fender and carefully roll it so that you bend the metal slightly on the inside without messing it up on the outside where the fender trim is. I prefer Louisville Slugger.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
13,840 Posts
I actually use a plastic sheet-metal hammer to hammer the lip up into place, rather than using a bat. I have a bit more control that way.

·
Super Moderator
13,840 Posts
I found that I had left one of the tires/wheels on a car in the driveway, so here's a shot of the 13 x 8 wheel with 235/50-13 tire on it. Backspace is 5"

The other one is a 245/50-13 on a 13 x 9 widened stock Opel wheel that I dug out of my barn. Backspace is 6".

Bob

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
Ascona tires

Geez, that's some serious rubber there Bob! :eek: Thanks for the pics.

·
Driver
987 Posts
I have thought about having a set of stock 73 GT rims widened as I really like the look, they are just too narrow. How much does that run to have it done?
Isn't it called "ringed" or something like that? I wasn't thinking quite that dramatic though. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
13,840 Posts
opelenvy said:
I have thought about having a set of stock 73 GT rims widened as I really like the look, they are just too narrow. How much does that run to have it done?
Isn't it called "ringed" or something like that? I wasn't thinking quite that dramatic though. :eek:
My wheels were made by machining the old outer sheels off the center, then welding the old center into a complete new rim. I've heard of rims being 'split' then rings being welded into them, but the place I used to bring my wheels to didn't use that method. Cost $75 per wheel about 14 years ago to have this done, but it was admittedly more time consuming to mill the centers out rather than to buy a new complete wheel.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
13,840 Posts
Sportwagon75 said:
Hey Bob - Are those ice racing spikes I see in the background of one photo???
Absolutely.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts